More plagiarism in the Democratic race !!1!!

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:57 am
Last night, in the Democratic debate, the candidates roughly tied, according to the CW among pundits.

But one answer stood out. At the very end, Hillary Clinton gave an answer that, everyone agreed, was impressive, dignified, and empathic. Is it her moment?, pundits wondered?

Considering the recent spat about Obama's alleged "plagariasm" last week and the media oxygen it consumed, shouldnt they be asking, "is it really her moment?

Hillary Clinton, from the transcript:

Quote:
You know, the hits I've taken in life are nothing compared to what goes on every single day in the lives of people across our country. [..]

And you know, whatever happens, we're going to be fine. You know, we have strong support from our families and our friends. I just hope that we'll be able to say the same thing about the American people [..].

Bill Clinton, in 1992:

Quote:
The hits that I took in this election are nothing compared to the hits the people of this state and this country have been taking for a long time.

John Edwards, in the Dec. 13 debate:

Quote:
All of us are going to be just fine no matter what happens in this election. But what's at stake is whether America is going to be fine.

More plagiarism! Plagiarism everywhere!! I am shocked! Exclamation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 430 • Replies: 10
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:58 am
(For the record, I voted "That the whole "plagiarism" allegations business was nonsense from the start"...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:01 am
I heard that Obama-Lama-Ramadan has been speaking publicly in English, even though it is widely known that he is using words spoken by literally millions of people for centuries.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:03 am
What does the "1" in the thread title mean?

Does it mean that your little finger slipped off the shift key? Can you even touch type?
0 Replies

sozobe

The scoundrel!

I'd say there's nothing new under the sun but that would be plagiarizing, of course.

(Good finds, nimh.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

I took door number 4 too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:04 am
Moi aussi.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:16 am
Quote:
CLINTON: But there are differences between us. And I think, in our efforts to draw those contrasts and comparisons, we obviously try to let voters know how we see the world differently.

And I do offer solutions. That's what I believe in and what I have done. And it's what I offer to voters because it's part of my life, over the last 35 years, working to get kids health care, working to expand legal services for the poor, working to register voters, working to make a difference. Because I think that this country has given me so much.

And there are differences between our records and our accomplishments. I have to confess, I was somewhat amused, the other night, when, on one of the TV shows, one of Senator Obama's supporters couldn't.

So I know that there are comparisons and contrasts to be drawn between us. And it's important that voters get that information. So, yes, I do think that words are important and words matter, but actions speak louder than words. And I offer...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/21/debate.transcript/index.html

Quote:
The Columbia World of Quotations. 1996.

NUMBER: 35194
QUOTATION: If you are of the opinion that the contemplation of suicide is sufficient evidence of a poetic nature, do not forget that actions speak louder than words.
ATTRIBUTION: Fran Lebowitz (b. 1951), U.S. journalist. "Letters," Metropolitan Life (1978).

http://www.bartleby.com/66/94/35194.html

Shocked

Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:28 am
Setanta wrote:
What does the "1" in the thread title mean?

Does it mean that your little finger slipped off the shift key? Can you even touch type?

N00b!!1!one!1!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 05:32 pm
Hehheh :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 05:42 pm
Re: More plagiarism in the Democratic race !!1!!
nimh wrote:
Hillary Clinton, from the transcript:

Quote:
You know, the hits I've taken in life are nothing compared to what goes on every single day in the lives of people across our country. [..]

Bill Clinton, in 1992:

Quote:
The hits that I took in this election are nothing compared to the hits the people of this state and this country have been taking for a long time.

Another interesting / funny thing happens if you click that link about Bill Clinton in 1992. It's an article written in the NYT at the time; an impassioned plea for a vote for Bill, in fact.

OK, so read along with me:

Quote:
My polling place was choked with voters; even children wanted to stay up and hear the news. Everyone is eager to say that this is because the American people seized the day. ...

In time there will be many post-mortems of this election, but one thing they should all have in common is the admission that Bill Clinton ran the best Democratic campaign in recent memory ... And I began to believe that he saw us. ...

Every once in a while I want a little hope, the way some people want a martini or a new pair of shoes. [M]aybe there are simply some occasions when we reporters, despite our best intentions, can't help but act like human beings.

Yesterday was one of them. I could be cynical about the possibility of real change and the manifest dangers of expectations. I could talk about the enormous challenges to come. But not right now. This is Mr. Clinton's moment; he deserves it and I am glad he prevailed. You walk into the voting booth and each time you pull the little lever there is implicit in the gesture a tiny leap of faith. And this time some hope as well. For at least a moment, I'll make it last.

Bill Obama?
0 Replies