is detroying someones religious beleifs unethical?

Chumly

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:51 am
Is destroying someone's religious beliefs unethical?

No, in fact it is unethical to not promote the truth as it is best understood in the empirical sense.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 01:02 am
Chumly wrote:

No, in fact it is unethical to not promote the truth as it is best understood in the empirical sense.

Congrats...that is the exact argument used by the Europeans to exterminate the Indians they found in North America. They too were sure that they were right.

Your faith in your intellect is quaint...also barbaric.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 01:13 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Congrats...that is the exact argument used by the Europeans to exterminate the Indians they found in North America. They too were sure that they were right.

Your faith in your intellect is quaint...also barbaric.
False, Europeans did not rationalize the extermination of the Indigenous People's of North American via empiricism, quite the opposite in fact.

That you would make such a nonsensical claim demonstrates your ignorance.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:20 am
Chumly wrote:
False, Europeans did not rationalize the extermination of the Indigenous People's of North American via empiricism, quite the opposite in fact.

Right, I am just an idiot. Explain then why the Indians were not allowed to be conquered and assimilated. I always thought that it was because the science minded Europeans could not make any sense of the Indians ways and pronounced them so inferior (savages) that they could not be taught. You being so much more intelligent than I am know how I am wrong.

The death sentence was signed then and there.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:26 am
Terry wrote:
If someone is questioning their own beliefs or trying to convert me, I have no problem debating them. If their beliefs give them comfort and don't harm anyone else, and you see that your arguments cause them distress without offering any benefit to them, then yes, it is unethical to continue.

I think this about sums it up.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:01 am
I must feel that it is unethical, for I do not argue Gods existance with my family members that believe. If it comes up, I may gently present my current thoughts on the matter, but many family members do not even know that my beliefs have changed. I don't tell them because it would hurt them. I don't want them to spend their lives tortured by thoughts of me burning in hell. Not to mention, I may be the one that is wrong.

However, I see what Osso is saying in that we do it all the time here on this forum. One person in particular that has been mentioned here has taken a lot of "hits" to her faith. You have to admire that she is even still here.

Hard to do (sometimes impossible) but always good to ask before beginning an argument why one feels the need to do so and why does one desire the outcome they think they will get. What's the agenda and is it coming from kindness?

I don't know that I have or have not argued here regarding faith and offended anyone by not following my own rule. If I have, I apologize.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:14 am
This is the arena for debate and ideas, this place serves almost no other purpose. Any who venture here sign up to have their ideas, opinions, and assumptions tested. Anybody who is not interested in that being done to them should leave, immediately.

It is a totally different matter though to tear apart the beliefs of those whom we do know in real life and/or those who have not asked to be tested.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:17 am
I agree with Snood and Terry. If something can be gained by offering your beliefs as an alternative to theirs, IMO there is no problem. If all a discussion would do would cause pain, why inflict pain? The only exception would be to attempt to convince an adolescent from falling into the trap of some weirded out cult.

My son-in-law is involved in a religion that I believe is very close to a cult. He is completely enmeshed in its tenets, and has gone overseas to convert people. Personally, I think that his religion is nonsense, but he has the right to believe in it.

We don't see him very often, first because he lives 1200 miles away, and second, because he was estranged from my husband for a number of years, and the relatationship is fragile now, at best.

Anyhow, when we did get together a number of years ago, he started spouting his beliefs. I stopped him immediately. I told him that if he would not discuss his religion to me, I would not discuss my philosophy of life with him. We shook hands on that, and he has respected his pledge whenever we do get together. This works for us.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:17 pm
damnuit, this thread got crazy. i need to read this guys hold the phone por favor.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:18 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
You dont know if he was sad from the things you were saying, or that he was sad he was having that kind of a conversation with his son.

LOL, i guess. he started it.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:19 pm
real life wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
if god is perfect, and the bible is the word of god, and the bible has inconsistencies and flaws, is god a liar or is he imperfect?

Perhaps your understanding of the Bible is imperfect.....................................

not really, there are a lot of flaws. contradictions etc..

i mean, maybe it was a mis-translation?(s)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:24 pm
Quote:
is detroying someones religious beleifs unethical?

Naw, it's a spectator sport.

(Really, get wise--these jokers don't pay any attention to criticism.)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:27 pm
Hrm, well i didnt tell him it was the sun god, (zeitgeist movie) i was mainly going after things he was claiming to be true.

bible being the word of god number 1.

Its written by man. etc.

Hes not broken up hes a tough guy. but i could tell, like when we ended, he was a little depressed looking.

wasnt really a good feeling knowing i made my pops sad, but then should he listen to my side like i listen to his?

I mean, i went to church until i was like 14 for my parents sake. :/

OMG i used to sit there feeling crazy, "why isnt he talking to me?!??!?!"" MOM GOD DOESNT TALK TO ME!!!" haha good ol days.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:44 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
damnuit, this thread got crazy. i need to read this guys hold the phone por favor.

And what exactly is crazy? That anyone would object to you and others running over people and hurting people with your "truth"? That anyone would suggest that you might have a little more respect for other peoples dignity?

I know this is difficult you people who are all impressed with your intelligence to understand, for those who are spellbound by science and "truth" to understand, for those have no respect for Myth to understand ( and you guys are truly idiots), but you running around spouting science as "proof' that the person you are talking to is an idiot and a fool is not one iota better than the fundamentalist who keeps reading me his bible passages and telling me that he knows I am going to hell unless i decide that I agree with him.

At some point compassion and respect and some idea that there might be at least a little chance that you are wrong should kick in.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:46 pm
hehe i was referring how when i left i though i would get like 5 repies, now theres like 6 pages when i wake up Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:33 pm
No, how can one change someone's religious beliefs when those beliefs have very little to do with reasoning and evidence? People change their religious beliefs themselves when they feel the need to do so--and only then.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 08:38 pm
See the following hyperlink..a parallel discussion:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112396&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:53 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Right, I am just an idiot. Explain then why the Indians were not allowed to be conquered and assimilated. I always thought that it was because the science minded Europeans could not make any sense of the Indians ways and pronounced them so inferior (savages) that they could not be taught. You being so much more intelligent than I am know how I am wrong.

The death sentence was signed then and there.
Simply because you claim the Europeans were so-called "science minded" is irrelevant.
That you removed my first post as re-quoted below gives me pause as to your intent. It's is all the more clear you do not understand my post to which you initially responded, and lack the coherence and substantiation to support your counter.
Chumly wrote:

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:07 am
ossobuco wrote:

Do you all mean a son should never challenge a father, as they are actually talking best they can, or are you all still irate about Ogionik's patently obnoxious thread about, at the least, bitches?

For me personally the answer to this is NO.
I am not writing in this thread with the ' down bitch' comment in my head.

I am witting here because we do not know the entire context of the conversation he had with his father .

As I said before, those tears or frustrated feelings, or silence, or what ever his father reacted with could be from a number of things.

he could be upset that he is even having that kind of conversation with his son.

He could be embarrassed at the content of the conversation.

He could have been frustrated that he could not end a conversation he may have realized he did not want to start.

Understand OGIONIK and others, that I am not christian. So my following statement is not meant in any defense, or even OFFENSE to the religion..
Nor do I mean it to be rude to anyone..

But I think it is sort of arrogant to assume one ( This means ANYONE) can 'destroy' someones belief system.
It takes many years, and as someone else said, many questions to change your religious beliefs.
I was raised christian.. southern baptist to be exact.
10 years later, nothing of christianity rings as true to me anymore. I can not believe that folks buy it anymore . But that is just my opinion.

But to think that one conversation destroys someones life foundation, is just.. TOO MUCH.

You can begin to plant seeds of question in someones head.
Doing that is hurtful. There is no reason to change someones religion.
Even if they are doing unethical things in the 'name of this religion' , it is not up to another person to try to change their beliefs.. but you can effect their actions.

Im rambling now.. but I think I made my point.. somewhere..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:58 am
I get you, shewolf, and agree with you.
0 Replies