is detroying someones religious beleifs unethical?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:41 pm
What is the deal, you can only argue with your exact peers?

In many ways, a2k is about the opposite, in practice if not in policy.

But wait, I need to post on the other side of my mixed feelings.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
What is the deal, you can only argue with your exact peers?

Of course not. Did someone here make that implication? Again, pretty much the only thing that has been said is that caricaturing someone's belief is usually not a productive way to convince someone of your case. That's all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:54 pm
Really? That's not what I saw, and most of the neg posts are by pals of mine that I tend to agree with.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:55 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
if god is perfect, and the bible is the word of god, and the bible has inconsistencies and flaws, is god a liar or is he imperfect?
The bible was written by men. It is all second hand information. There is no gospel.

The god your dad believes in may very well be real, nobody knows, he just uses a Jesus as a symbol when picturing god or thinking about him like some people might use Mohamed or buddha.

Behind all these symbols are the same things for many different people and religions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi_UFSShQHU
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:04 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Yes and it's childish.

Well, start with that and go on.

Childish to argue with your father? His father is probably in his late thirties or early/mid forties, though I may well be wrong.

Sorry if this is news to all, but it is fairly common for young men to argue with their fathers' points of view.

It is almost a part of the passage into how you personally think, often something of a road to haul. Childish in that it happens, but sometimes formative.

Other posts dumped as well.

I haven't gotten to where I may agree with those posts in some ways, and may not, tonight. So it goes.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Yes and it's childish.

Childish to argue with your father?

According to Ogionik's initial post, the question Dys is responding to "Is it wrong to do that? to sit there and say well, christianity is an advanced form of egyptian sun worship. i mean its sort of cruel, isnt it?" I did not interpret Dys's statement as an indictment on arguing with one's father, though of course I cannot speak for Dys.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:16 pm
I'm with Shewolf, your dad's sadness may not have been sadness about losing his faith, maybe he was picturing his son burning in hell, or worried about the empty faithless hole in your life.

I can't say I've heard too many people jump from one side of the atheist/theist gap to the other on the strength of one conversation - unless they already had a ton of ponderings on the matter leading up to the conversation.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:26 pm
It's not about the religious argument, it's about slowing down as you start to see a car crash coming....

I think OGIONIK knows from which I speak...

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:27 pm
Shapeless wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Yes and it's childish.

Childish to argue with your father?

According to Ogionik's initial post, the question Dys is responding to "Is it wrong to do that? to sit there and say well, christianity is an advanced form of egyptian sun worship. i mean its sort of cruel, isnt it?" I did not interpret Dys's statement as an indictment on arguing with one's father, though of course I cannot speak for Dys.

Well, ahem, ogionik's thing about the sungod, Ra, was fine to me. And, I'm guessing, fine with Dys, but he'll say yes or no to that.

The question was, actually, about arguing with your father on an important to you matter that is part of the father's seemingly whole structural system. Something of a thick question, probably addressed by millions of articles - but never mind articles, talking heart and ethics.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:31 pm
Dys will straighten me out here if I misinterpret him.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:35 pm
Or if I do. As it happens, I'm fine with the Egyptian sun analogy too, meaning I think it's an accurate one. Whether it promotes productive discussion is another matter, depending on how one wields it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:45 pm
So we agree on that. The cruxt is how to deal with someone who doesn't think at all that way.

Can you challenge a friend in your teens? And so on. Large question, not just about fathers.

But, to get to the marrow, you have a (parent, friend, stranger) dealing with both dying and belief. Do you confront?
My quick answer, is, that's childish, or an act of a bird of prey.

I always come down to a person's autonomy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:47 pm
Why this detour into what was said? If you say something that cuts into a belief system that supports some ones identity there is a problem. The subject matter is not relevant. Motive and intent are. If you get there by accident stop...withdraw. If you did it on purpose shame on you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:56 pm
We are interested in what was said. Or at least I am. And why or why not to have said that, at that time and place. (We may differ at first take or even later take.)

And, besides, that was the post question.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:02 am
And, besides again, belief has beef.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:11 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Why this detour into what was said? If you say something that cuts into a belief system that supports some ones identity there is a problem. The subject matter is not relevant. Motive and intent are. If you get there by accident stop...withdraw. If you did it on purpose shame on you.

It's not as black and white as all that. Belief systems inform actions, and some actions informed by beliefs are unpalatable. Your point that there should be shame on those who deliberately cutting into another belief system pretty much damns the founder(s) of christianity and islam.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:16 am
hingehead wrote:

It's not as black and white as all that. Belief systems inform actions, and some actions informed by beliefs are unpalatable. Your point that there should be shame on those who deliberately cutting into another belief system pretty much damns the founder(s) of christianity and islam.

If you are in a dominant/submissive relationship and you are the dominant then go ahead and destroy the belief system so that you can rebuild the submissive's identity as you desire it to be. That is what the early church did, and they would argue that it was necessary. But short of that dynamic why would anyone do such a thing? there is no benefit for anyone, it is violence for sport.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:21 am
I think I know what you're saying Hawk, I just don't think the motivation to do it necessarily dark. If someone's religion promoted say, female circumcision, would not the protection of others be an acceptable motivation for attacking a belief system?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:22 am
I see this going into absurd and, already not wanting to go into why I disagree with myself on an earlier post, give up for the evening.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:28 am
hingehead wrote:
I think I know what you're saying Hawk, I just don't think the motivation to do it necessarily dark. If someone's religion promoted say, female circumcision, would not the protection of others be an acceptable motivation for attacking a belief system?

Sport need not equal dark, it is however careless disregard for the best interests of another.

You are free to have a moral position, you are not free however destroy whatever and who ever you desire in the pursuit of spreading it. To do so is the demonstration of a lack of humanity.
0 Replies