Obamamania verges on obsession

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
woiyo wrote:

I wonder what the response will be when he "passes wind"?

They'll rush the stage like dogs-in-heat to get a sniff. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:17 pm
Quote:
So, I should have asked this question a LOT earlier. When you refer to Obama supporters, are you basing your observations on what you've gleaned from television? From personal conversations?

I confess that its mostly based on how the news is covering Obama.
But it is also based on personal conversations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:31 pm
Miller wrote:
We're dealing with Elmer Gantry, tried and true. Laughing

Interesting that you picked up on that. In my house, we have been calling Obama "Elmer Gantry" for some time now.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:33 pm
Gargamel wrote:
So, I should have asked this question a LOT earlier. When you refer to Obama supporters, are you basing your observations on what you've gleaned from television? From personal conversations?

Until Obama took the lead, that's post-Super-Tuesday, very recently, no one took note of "worship." Or it wasn't worth mentioning until it became clear he had a legitimate shot at the nomination. Though I know Bear has had reservations before that.

When I think of Hillary's base, or McCain's base, I do think of personal acquaintances, some sound bites from NPR, scattered news clips, but in the present context of the election, it's stats-related. So when we talk about Hillary supporters, I know she's popular among older white people (I don't mean that pejoratively) and Hispanics. She has a lot of union support. Of course, once we fixate on categories like these, we can start making presumptions. We can stereotype--I do it, it's fun.

But out of genuine curiousity, where do you see the worship, and how does it manifest itself? You (I'm refering to various posts from various posters) say it's groundless, implying you doubt the research of the voter in question. How do you know that?

Aren't rallies where people hold signs and cheer eerily ceremonial in general? Aren't most rallies like that? Are Obama rallies presently getting a lot of coverage, now that he is a front runner?

I took note of it... and expressed it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
It's not that hard to figure out why people are getting excited about Obama.

The Republicans come off as a bunch of scumbags who don't give a **** about anyone but other republicans (a lot of that is thanks to the idiot in charge that we've had for the past seven years), Hillary comes off as slightly less of a scumbag that mostly only gives a **** about other Democrats, and Obama comes across as an intelligent ethical guy who actually seems to give a **** about the people of this country.

Okay, so he's not the second coming of christ, but the other options BLOW.

So yeah, some people are obsessed with getting rid of the scumbags and taking a chance on someone who seems legit. Good for them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:06 pm
Well said, Mr. Can.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:08 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Miller wrote:
We're dealing with Elmer Gantry, tried and true. Laughing

Interesting that you picked up on that. In my house, we have been calling Obama "Elmer Gantry" for some time now.

Ms Obama is starting to sound like a female version of old ELMER. Laughing
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:11 pm
kickycan wrote:

Sure, 'cause he's more exciting than going to a fortune teller, while the results are the same.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:13 pm
kickycan wrote:

The Republicans come off as a bunch of scumbags who don't give a **** about anyone but other republicans (a lot of that is thanks to the idiot in charge that we've had for the past seven years), Hillary comes off as slightly less of a scumbag that mostly only gives a **** about other Democrats, and Obama comes across as an intelligent ethical guy who actually seems to give a **** about the people of this country.

Okay, so he's not the second coming of christ, but the other options BLOW.

So yeah, some people are obsessed with getting rid of the scumbags and taking a chance on someone who seems legit. Good for them.

Word

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
Miller wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Sure, 'cause he's more exciting than going to a fortune teller, while the results are the same.

I didn't realize you were a fortune teller yourself, as clearly you've forseen the results already. Interesting.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:14 pm
I am just hopeful this obsession carries all the way to the WH; its looking like it very well might.
0 Replies