Obamamania verges on obsession
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,568 • Replies: 30
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:05 am
"But he was unable to answer Chris Matthews most basic demand: "Name some of his legislative accomplishments... name any..." A fantastically awkward mix of dead air, stuttering, laughter and repetition ensued, as Watson could not name a single one. Matthews laid off part way through, it seems at the demand of his producers, but came back around to lay a final blow at the end. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/19/chris-matthews-humiliates_n_87493.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:14 am
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/02/dear-chris-matt.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:30 am
yawn

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:39 am
While I do think Obama would make a better President then Hillary, I must admit that I am also a little concerned by the way some of his supporters seem to almost worship him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:42 am
I wonder what the coronation will be like.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:00 am
mysteryman wrote:
While I do think Obama would make a better President then Hillary, I must admit that I am also a little concerned by the way some of his supporters seem to almost worship him.
Well yes of course I mean it's not like we're dealing with Reagan here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:07 am
the problem is that Obamamania is EXACTLY like the unrealistic worship of Reagan and bush to a lesser extent, with NO room for disagreement of any kind. You're either with him or against him. The country is hypnotized.

Two sides of the same coin and bad for the country. It IS looking like he'll get the nomination. He will not get my vote. I will write in.

Having said that you can save the smart comments about me being a closet republican. I wouldn't vote for John McCain for dogcatcher.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:18 am
btw the request for no smart comments was not directed at brother dys but the Obama mouth frothers that are sure to show up.

Dys, although a poopity head... is a reasonable one.... :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:26 am
dyslexia wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Oh "there you go again" snap.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:31 am
joefromchicago wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Oh "there you go again" snap.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:32 am
Yes, I think I speak for all Obama supporters when I say we ought to be reserved and responsible. When passing the salt, always pass the pepper as well. Elbows off the table, please. Do not, by any means, get excited by the fact that the front-runner in this election is no part of the diarchy that's been in place for the past twenty years. Nor, for that matter, is there any reason to celebrate the last days of the worst presidency in the history of the United States. I mean, change is so boring anyways.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
Obama however has nothing to do with the last days of bush. Believe me NO ONE is happier about that than I am. I'm bottling special wine for it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:14 am
"Even blowing his nose, Obama gets applause

by John McCormick

DALLAS - It's probably safe to say that you have arrived as a politician when your audience applauds when you blow your nose.

Yes, just a day before a debate in Texas, Sen. Barack Obama has a head cold.

And about a half-hour into a speech here, the Illinois Democrat announced that he had to take a quick break. "Gotta blow my nose here for a second," Obama said.

Out came a Kleenex (or perhaps it was a hankie), and he wiped his nose.

The near-capacity audience at the Reunion Arena, which his campaign said totaled 17,000, broke out in a slightly awkward applause."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/02/even_blowing_his_nose_obama_ge.html

I wonder what the response will be when he "passes wind"?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:18 am
It would have to be a tremendous explosion to get past the heads of the hard core Obama supporters and find it's way to freedom...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 11:18 am
woiyo wrote:
"Even blowing his nose, Obama gets applause

by John McCormick

DALLAS - It's probably safe to say that you have arrived as a politician when your audience applauds when you blow your nose.

Yes, just a day before a debate in Texas, Sen. Barack Obama has a head cold.

And about a half-hour into a speech here, the Illinois Democrat announced that he had to take a quick break. "Gotta blow my nose here for a second," Obama said.

Out came a Kleenex (or perhaps it was a hankie), and he wiped his nose.

The near-capacity audience at the Reunion Arena, which his campaign said totaled 17,000, broke out in a slightly awkward applause."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/02/even_blowing_his_nose_obama_ge.html

I wonder what the response will be when he "passes wind"?

That's actually pretty funny.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:16 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the problem is that Obamamania is EXACTLY like the unrealistic worship of Reagan and bush to a lesser extent, with NO room for disagreement of any kind. You're either with him or against him. The country is hypnotized.

Two sides of the same coin and bad for the country. It IS looking like he'll get the nomination. He will not get my vote. I will write in.

Having said that you can save the smart comments about me being a closet republican. I wouldn't vote for John McCain for dogcatcher.

Not being a supporter of any candidate yet, I am worried by the blind adulation that so many seem to have for Obama.
They seem to not notice any of his warts or flaws, and instead SEEM to be hyptonized by his every word.

While NOT in any way comparing the two people, some of the reactions I have seen by SOME of the Obama supporters almost reminds me of some of the Nazi party rallies, with the blind adoration that was shown to every word Hitler uttered.

That kind of adulation,for any political candidate, does worry me.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:46 pm
So, I should have asked this question a LOT earlier. When you refer to Obama supporters, are you basing your observations on what you've gleaned from television? From personal conversations?

Until Obama took the lead, that's post-Super-Tuesday, very recently, no one took note of "worship." Or it wasn't worth mentioning until it became clear he had a legitimate shot at the nomination. Though I know Bear has had reservations before that.

When I think of Hillary's base, or McCain's base, I do think of personal acquaintances, some sound bites from NPR, scattered news clips, but in the present context of the election, it's stats-related. So when we talk about Hillary supporters, I know she's popular among older white people (I don't mean that pejoratively) and Hispanics. She has a lot of union support. Of course, once we fixate on categories like these, we can start making presumptions. We can stereotype--I do it, it's fun.

But out of genuine curiousity, where do you see the worship, and how does it manifest itself? You (I'm refering to various posts from various posters) say it's groundless, implying you doubt the research of the voter in question. How do you know that?

Aren't rallies where people hold signs and cheer eerily ceremonial in general? Aren't most rallies like that? Are Obama rallies presently getting a lot of coverage, now that he is a front runner?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

We're dealing with Elmer Gantry, tried and true. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:14 pm
Gargamel wrote:
So, I should have asked this question a LOT earlier. When you refer to Obama supporters, are you basing your observations on what you've gleaned from television? From personal conversations?

Until Obama took the lead, that's post-Super-Tuesday, very recently, no one took note of "worship." Or it wasn't worth mentioning until it became clear he had a legitimate shot at the nomination. Though I know Bear has had reservations before that.

When I think of Hillary's base, or McCain's base, I do think of personal acquaintances, some sound bites from NPR, scattered news clips, but in the present context of the election, it's stats-related. So when we talk about Hillary supporters, I know she's popular among older white people (I don't mean that pejoratively) and Hispanics. She has a lot of union support. Of course, once we fixate on categories like these, we can start making presumptions. We can stereotype--I do it, it's fun.

But out of genuine curiousity, where do you see the worship, and how does it manifest itself? You (I'm refering to various posts from various posters) say it's groundless, implying you doubt the research of the voter in question. How do you know that?

Aren't rallies where people hold signs and cheer eerily ceremonial in general? Aren't most rallies like that? Are Obama rallies presently getting a lot of coverage, now that he is a front runner?

C/mon, Garg, it's not fair to ask for specifics!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies