What's the Winning Clinton Strategy?

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 02:54 pm
Senator Clinton has two weeks to put together big wins in Ohio and Texas. Right now, she has a lead in the polls and a demographic advantage, but her double digit leads in both states have been reduced to high single digits and her opponent has the advantage. What do you think her optimal strategy is for the next two weeks?

My take: Go with maximum facts, minimal spin. The plagarism stuff (spin) is not sticking. The "I'm best qualified to be commander in chief on day one" (spin) probably isn't going to stick based on her lack of experience in that area. Go with the "my healthcare program is the best" (close to fact) line of attack. I like the "working the night shift" campaign even though that is spin. Look presidential in the two debates. Obama is not the best debater so that is an opportunity. Trot out Glenn and other endorsements to help bring in the crowd. Maybe even praise Obama for firing up the electorate instead of slamming his message. Leave off the Florida and Michigan delegate issue. Effectively saying you are going to cheat your way to victory is not the way to bring in those undecided voters and superdelagates. Use President Clinton as a fund raiser with specific instructions to praise Clinton rather than attack Obama.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,335 • Replies: 23
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:02 pm
I like your ideas, engineer, but here's what I think her winning strategy will be.

Go more negative, but use surrogates. This allows the tarnishing of Obama's image to continue without further tarnishing her own. Then she'll perform well in the debates and appear to rise above it all and look very presidential. He can't answer the attacks there, as he has done before, because it won't technically be her doing the attacking. She'll continue hammering home the themes that she has been while he'll be on defense.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:17 pm
HEr voice is like a bench grinder shrpening knives. She cant raise her voice without sounding like some auctioneer. She needs to quit that immediately.

Of course, maybe Obama just has ideas that infect people and she doesnt.

Obama is cultivating a "Camelot" scene with his lovely wife. Im afraid we all have had maybe a bit too much of the Clintons. All the reasons that everyones pulling out of their asses of "Why not to" vote for Obama, I find equally compelling as reasons TO vote for him.

Maybe Hillary's arc is setting and she should just learn to be a good senator. She could be a great SUpreme Court Judge
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 04:24 pm
Re: What's the Winning Clinton Strategy?
engineer wrote:
What do you think her optimal strategy is for the next two weeks?

Maybe she could arrange a mafia hit on Obama? Shocked

I don't think it really matters what she does at this point. IMO, the race is Obama's to win or lose. Her only chance of pulling it off now is for him to drop the ball.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 06:03 pm
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/02/proclinton_527_prepares_for_oh.php

Pro-Clinton 527 Prepares For Ohio, PA and Texas
20 Feb 2008 08:20 am

Allies of Hillary Clinton plan an expensive, stealth campaign to buttress her standing in the must-win states of Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania.

They're canvassing Clinton donors for pledges of up to $100,000 in the hope of raising at least $10M by the end of next week. The money will be placed in the account of a political committee organized under section 527 of the tax code.

A Democrat who was briefed on the project said that Pennsylvania attorney William A. K. Titelman is leading the effort to solicit money. Titleman, who raised money for Gov. Bill Richardson's presidential campaign, has not contributed money to Clinton. He did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

By law, the 527 cannot coordinate its activities with the Clinton campaign, although at least one major Clinton donor with direct ties to the campaign said last night that the effort was an open secret among donors.

(Update: Per ABC's Jake Tapper, the group is calling itself the "American Leadership Project" and is staffed by several veterans of the Clinton White House.)

A Clinton spokesman said he knew nothing about the 527.

Two Democrats said that the 527 plans to run television ads and send pro-Clinton literature in all three states. One of the Democrats said that the ads will also include contrast messages against Obama.

Plans for the 527 were conceived in late January, when Clinton's campaign was nearly broke. Since Feb. 5, she has raised nearly $20M, but still faces a resource disadvantage. Obama's aides said they're approaching their goal of raising money from 500,000 new donors since Jan. 1 and project a total haul of more than $35M for February.

Perhaps as early as today, a consortium of Service Employees union locals will disclose its own plans for mobilization in Ohio and Pennsylvania on behalf of Barack Obama, an irony that will not be lost on those covering the race closely: a similar SEIU compact in Iowa ran ads praising John Edwards and drew strong protests from Obama's campaign.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:30 pm
Act like the lady she is and take the mentality that she would accept defeat gracefully whatever the outcome like she did when she was under stress running against Mayor Guiliani. Keep on her message about what what she can do for Americans whether in the Middle East, China, Russia and medicare and the economy. Ignore Obama.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:21 am
Remember that if Obama wins, there will be no Universal Health Care Coverage for the next 4-8 years, or even longer.

And, after all is said and done, we'll still be in Iraq.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:16 am
Miller wrote:
Remember that if Obama wins, there will be no Universal Health Care Coverage for the next 4-8 years, or even longer.

And, after all is said and done, we'll still be in Iraq.
Crying or Very sad

She should certainly hype her healthcare program. I think she has a lot of credibility there. I would add a pro-business spin to it, saying that universal healthcare removes some of the burden from US businesses allowing them to compete with companies abroad, etc. No way she can campaign on Iraq as the anti-war candidate. Maybe she should go the "we broke it and we have an obligation to fix it" route in Iraq since Obama has the "we never should have invaded and we have to leave" argument wrapped up.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:22 am
Interesting results last night. Clearly the plagarism line and the off topic attacks fell very flat and burned Clinton yet again. But the healthcare and the "we'll be all right" line (right from an Edwards campaign speech) played really well. I also thought the "I'm proud to stand here with Senator Obama" line played well and the sense that it's coming to an end and that she can live with that played well also. That's got to be the strategy from here on out. Praise what Obama brings to the table, say she can do the same thing and do it better, focus on healthcare and keep Bill Clinton under control. On a morning news show interviewing Clinton, they showed BC saying that "if we will in Texas and Ohio, I think we're going to be the nominee. If we lose one of them, I don't see how we're going to make it." Senator Clinton did not looked pleased (even though the comments were common sense.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:46 am
engineer wrote:

She should certainly hype her healthcare program. I think she has a lot of credibility there. I would add a pro-business spin to it, saying that universal healthcare removes some of the burden from US businesses allowing them to compete with companies abroad, etc.

It would be extremely hard for her to create any pro-business spin for her healthcare plan since there is nothing really pro-business about it. The small businesses that might gain from her plan aren't the one's having issues with competition from overseas and all of the descriptors in her plan towards big businesses lean toward negatives.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 07:55 am
engineer wrote:
Interesting results last night. Clearly the plagarism line and the off topic attacks fell very flat and burned Clinton yet again. But the healthcare and the "we'll be all right" line (right from an Edwards campaign speech) played really well. I also thought the "I'm proud to stand here with Senator Obama" line played well and the sense that it's coming to an end and that she can live with that played well also. That's got to be the strategy from here on out. Praise what Obama brings to the table, say she can do the same thing and do it better, focus on healthcare and keep Bill Clinton under control. On a morning news show interviewing Clinton, they showed BC saying that "if we will in Texas and Ohio, I think we're going to be the nominee. If we lose one of them, I don't see how we're going to make it." Senator Clinton did not looked pleased (even though the comments were common sense.)

Yep, I agree with that. To Bill's comments, two things would disturb me if I were her. First, what you note about the reality of the situation, but second, the use of "we". "We're going to be the nominee." Last I heard his name wasn't on the ballot. Well, ok, that bothers me as a voter more than it probably bothers her as the candidate, but that's the kind of stuff that's off-putting.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:30 am
Her campaign now has a hotline for suggestions.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
She paid $5 million to consultants in January and she wants my input for free?!? Plus, even though I started this thread, I'm favoring Obama so she'll just have to pay a staffer to read A2K.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 09:47 am
engineer wrote:
She paid $5 million to consultants in January and she wants my input for free?!? Plus, even though I started this thread, I'm favoring Obama so she'll just have to pay a staffer to read A2K.

Penn $3.8 million
Wolfson $1 million
Grunwald $2.5 million

Your $5 million figure is kinda low ball buddy

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/us/politics/22clinton.html?hp
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
All the more reason why she should send a little of that my way since my advice is at least as good as what she's been getting.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm
Obvious: she needs to be campaigning topless...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:01 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Obvious: she needs to be campaigning topless...

ew.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:08 pm
Nothing like walking in on a serious conversation and farting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:13 pm
Anyhoo, I hadn't thought that it would be likely that Clinton would quit. I still don't think it's likely, though it's all over the news that people took her remarks last night as an indicator. That said, what if she just runs out of money? I read from a link on sozobe's thread (I think it was there) that she's got tons of cash on hand but it's all for the general election because her donors already gave the maximum, and anything over and above can't be used in the primary. I think that's what was behind the 527 creation.

So, if she completely runs out of money, do you think she'll quit? The next primary is over a week away...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:02 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
So, if she completely runs out of money, do you think she'll quit? The next primary is over a week away...

There might be another $5 million loan to the campaign coming, but I doubt she'll quit. Polls in Texas are close, but she has a solid lead in Ohio and a decent chance of scoring in Pennsylvania. If she can round up 45-50% of the delegates remaining, she can get to the convention with a shot. Still, I thought the debated showed a candidate who has come to the realization that it might not happen. Instead of "when I'm elected", it was "should I be elected" and of course her best moment was almost a concession speech.
0 Replies