winter in July

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 09:31 am
Don't just let life pass you by like winter in July.

What does winter in July mean? And by the way, do you prefer to call this figure of speech a simile or a metaphor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 888 • Replies: 5
No top replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 11:28 am
Well, I'll reword my question.

In our culture, we know the metaphor of "snow in June", which is used to describe a great grievance or wrong, like an innocent person is sentenced to death.

So now my question is what "winter in July" describes in your English speaking world. (To be ungrateful to a good time?)

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:23 pm
In the Northern hemisphere, an unusually wet or cold July is called "winter in July". It is a simile.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:36 pm
Thanks for your very helpful answer!

Best Regards!
Blues
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:10 pm
If there is a lot of rain or unusually dull or cold weather in July and August, you might say in early September that summer has gone and you never enjoyed it. So, Sarah Brightman sings in the song "La Luna", if you don't live your life fully, when you are old you may say that the summer of your life has gone by and you never really enjoyed it.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 03:26 pm
contrex wrote:
If there is a lot of rain or unusually dull or cold weather in July and August, you might say in early September that summer has gone and you never enjoyed it. So, Sarah Brightman sings in the song "La Luna", if you don't live your life fully, when you are old you may say that the summer of your life has gone by and you never really enjoyed it.

I like reading your interpretation. Thank you again, Contrex!
0 Replies