Obama's Abortion Stance Hurts Blacks

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:21 pm
Obama's Abortion Stance Hurts Blacks, Say Pro-Life Experts

By Penny Starr
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
January 08, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) may be riding what seems to be a perfect wave toward the Democratic presidential nomination, but some African-Americans say his pro-abortion stance make him a danger to the black community.

"Between 1882 and 1962, 3,446 blacks were lynched," says Rev. Clenard H. Childress Jr. on his Web site, blackgenocide.org. "That number is surpassed in less than three days by abortion."

More than 1,400 African-American children are aborted each day in the United States, said Childress.

Childress also fights to promote life in the African-American community as president of the northeast chapter of the non-profit Life Education and Resource Network. He also is the senior pastor at New Calvary Baptist Church in Montclair, N.J.

"We want every American citizen to know this man's voting record on such a crucial issue," Childress told Cybercast News Service, referring to Obama's vote against the Born Alive Victims Protection Act, a federal law that gives rights to newborns who survive late-term abortion. "Abortion affects the African-American community more than any other ethnic group in the country," said Childress.

Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, founder and president of the non-profit Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny, or BOND, told Cybercast News Service that he doesn't want the first African-American president to hold values that are detrimental to the black community.

"Abortion is genocide," Peterson said. "It has had a greater affect on the African American community than slavery itself. For Barack Obama to support abortion shows a lack of love for the black community and especially for the unborn."

Childress agreed that just being African-American doesn't make Obama the right person to be president.

"Martin Luther King said of his daughter that he didn't want her to be judged by the color of her skin, but by the content of her character," said Childress. "People are applauding Obama because of the color of his skin and not his character."

Walter Hoye runs the Issues4Life Foundation in the San Francisco Bay area, an organization he said is designed to create and facilitate dialog about life in the African- American community.

"Abortion is the No. 1 cause of death in the African-American community," Hoye told Cybercast News Service. He added that the 2006 census shows that the black population in the United States has fallen below the numbers needed to sustain it.

"We are below the replacement rate," Hoye said. "We don't call it genocide to excite people. But it's a concern we have and it's become an issue that needs to be addressed nationally."

He added that he is hurt and disappointed by Obama's pro-abortion platform.

"I can't think of anything that hurts African-Americans more," Hoye said. "If you don't have life, what does the minimum wage mean? If you don't respect life, nothing else really matters."

These activists' remarks have some statistical support from research done by the Guttmacher Institute's studies on sexual and reproductive health. In a June 2006 study, the institute found that within the overall abortion rate of 21 per 1,000 women, black and Hispanic women have higher abortion rates than non-Hispanic white women. The study cited that women in the black and Hispanic communities have more unplanned pregnancies than non-Hispanic white women.

Ken Blackwell, a distinguished fellow for Public Policy at the Buckeye Institute and a fellow with Family Empowerment at the Family Research Council, both conservative groups, said it is less important to oppose Obama in the upcoming presidential race if he wins the nomination than to make sure the Republican Party nominates a strong pro-life candidate.

"The abortion issue, unfortunately, is not a differentiator on the Democratic side," Blackwell said, noting that all of the candidates vying for the nomination share Obama's stand on abortion. "Unfortunately, for the soul of the Democratic party, it's not a big issue."

Instead, Blackwell told Cybercast News Service he will use his energies to rally behind a Republican who is staunchly pro-life, although he stopped short of endorsing a candidate, saying that most are against abortion.

And Blackwell thinks that when the two parties have chosen their nominee, abortion will be a significant contrast issue -- and an issue Obama will have to address.

"At that point, Obama won't be able to dodge the issue," Blackwell said.

Moreover, working to make sure a pro-life president is elected is really the best way to bring an end to the abortion debacle in America, Blackwell said.

"I want a Republican to win (the presidency) and I want a genuine pro-lifer to win," he said. "At the end of the day, you can't beat something for nothing. I will work hard to make sure we have a strong pro-life candidate that we can elect so we don't put at risk the lives of millions of unborn babies."

Calls to Sen. Obama's campaign and to the Rainbow Push Coalition for comment on this story were not returned by press time.

Make media inquiries or request an interview with Penny Starr.

CNSNews.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,115 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm
This is rather disturbing... particularly coming from a Hillary Clinton supporter.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:12 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
This is rather disturbing... particularly coming from a Hillary Clinton supporter.

The article states that all democrats basically share the same posiiton, and that this would be a problem for any of them.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
Quote:
"People are applauding Obama because of the color of his skin and not his character."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:37 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:
"People are applauding Obama because of the color of his skin and not his character."

And you are applauding Clinton because of the color of her skin?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:14 pm
Miller, quoting Starr, quoting Childress wrote:
"Abortion is genocide"

Talk about begging the question.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:29 pm
According to the CDC the abortion ratio for black women (503 per 1,000 live births) is approximately 3.0 times the ratio for white women (167 per 1,000 live births).

In 1990 there were almost 1,500,000 legal abortions in the US with slightly over 30% of those by black women.

Almost half a million black democrats who would be of voting age this year.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

Are you saying that democrats should be opposed to abortion because they are losing voters?
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:35 pm
In my opinion nothing will ever sway Democrats to oppose abortion.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:35 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
According to the CDC the abortion ratio for black women (503 per 1,000 live births) is approximately 3.0 times the ratio for white women (167 per 1,000 live births).

In 1990 there were almost 1,500,000 legal abortions in the US with slightly over 30% of those by black women....

This may be the reason why the percent of Afro-Americans in the total population over the past several years has remained at about 9-10%, while the % of hispanics has been steadily increasing.

Do you have any info on the number of hispanic abortions in the US?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

But you're trying to say that they should be opposed because they are losing voters?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:39 pm
maporsche wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

Are you saying that democrats should be opposed to abortion because they are losing voters?

No! ...because the females are not using contraception.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:40 pm
Miller wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

In 1990 there were almost 1,500,000 legal abortions in the US with slightly over 30% of those by black women....

This may be the reason why the percent of Afro-Americans in the total population over the past several years has remained at about 9-10%, while the % of hispanics has been steadily increasing.

Do you any info on the number of hispanic abortions in the US?

Yes.

According to the CDC,

Quote:
Twenty-nine states, the District of Columbia, and New York City reported adequate data** concerning the ethnicity of women who obtained legal induced abortions (Table 10). The percentage of abortions known to have been obtained by Hispanic women in these reporting areas was 17% overall and ranged from <0.1% in Kentucky to 46% in New Mexico. For Hispanic women in these reporting areas, the abortion ratio was 225 per 1,000 live births. The abortion rate for Hispanic women was 16 abortions per 1,000 women.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5212a1.htm#tab10
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
Quote:
<0.1% in Kentucky to 46% in New Mexico

That's a big difference between the 2 States.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
maporsche wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

But you're trying to say that they should be opposed because they are losing voters?

Some food for thought, maporche:

Quote:
The Empty Cradle Will Rock
How abortion is costing the Democrats voters--literally.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005277
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:21 pm
You are comparing a bushell of a variety of apples to a mixed fruit basket. "Hispanic" does not designate a race, it more generally designates ethnicity and culture. The statistics shown by the CDC for abortions among Hispanics includes people who are black.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:36 pm
Miller wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

Do you have any info on the number of hispanic abortions in the US?

The rate of live births in 2002 was 15.7 for African Americans , 13.5 for whites. Link It sounds like removing reproductive freedom would imapct the African American community much harder than the Caucasian community, so Obama's (and Clinton's) position is perfectlly in keeping with supporting that constituency. The Hispanic population is growing through immigration and is not comparable.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:47 pm
Quote:
Obama's Abortion Stance Hurts Blacks, Say Pro-Life Experts

What qualifies someone as a "Pro-Life Expert?"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:52 pm
That's what I suspected, engineer. On all points.
0 Replies

Sandra Price

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:56 am
CNSNews is religious right site. Years ago they started as a political discussion forum that hated anything Liberal. They gathered Evangelicals who were demanding a Constitutional Amendment to ban abortions (all), same sex marriages, stem cell research and any version of death with dignity.

I remember my first post that asked the question "Where in the Constitution can you find any social prohibition?" I did not last long. I had been a Republican until Bush 41 printed his Platform. It was very clear that the GOP would stand on those prohibitions but in small print America was to venture into the Middle East to spread Democracy. That did me in and in 1992, I went to work for Perot based on the horrible NAFTA GATT treaty. That treaty that was taken on by Clinton and by Bush 43.

I stand outside of any organized political party because my agenda goes back to the time when the GOP wanted a limited government, personal responsibilities and INDIVIDUAL FREEDOMS!

Naturally I worked for Ron Paul and my forums became scarse due to my being banned for wanting INDIVIDUAL FREEDOMS.

If this forum has a problem with individual freedoms, tell me now and I will quietly log out and say no more.
0 Replies