We already have universal healthcare!!

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:08 pm
im planning on visiting norway, how is it over there?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:51 pm
green witch wrote :

Quote:
I noticed this when I had a Finnish roommate in college. I would get annoyed because whenever we walked around Manhattan she would give money to every panhandler we encountered.

since we were on a cruise we only spent a day each in oslo , stockholm , helsinki and copenhagen (actually 1 1/2 days here , arrived in the evening and went to TIVOLI GARDENS) .
we did not see a single panhandler or anything resembling one - i imagine there must be some - just didn't see them .
one thing that takes some getting used to is the orderliness and cleanliness - some people might feel constrained by it .

btw oslo was a wonderful city for sightseeing for us - lots of musems : thor heyerdal , the old ship FRAM , funny monuments , the old castle . it's not a huge city by north-american standards - but seems to have enough of everything .
hbg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:00 pm
I found Stockholm to be depressing, but I was there in the Winter.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
Green Witch wrote:
You're wasting your time Hamburger. Miller has a head as thick as a bowling ball.

Can't you do better than that? Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:12 pm
miller wrote :

Quote:
I found Stockholm to be depressing, but I was there in the Winter.

that's probably while the "stockholmers" work rather short days in the summer and make up for it in the winter .
we were there in august and around 2 pm there was heavy traffic from the city to the cottage country along the ford .
our guide explained that people like to take advantage of the long summer days by heading home or to the cottage early . they make up for it during the winter when the days are rather short and it's dark by the time they get home anyway - not a bad idea imo - make hay while the sun is shining - seems to work for the swedes .
hbg

ps. perhaps the swedes' slogan is : "life is there to be enjoyed to the fullest ; don't waste time (and money) to get loaded down with useless stuff " .

as guy lombardo's band used to play and sing : "enjoy your life , it's later than you think ... ... " .

i'll drink to that !
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:03 pm
health care is available for all rich people
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
just about any important information about sweden's government and its economy is available here : CIA YEARBOOK - SWEDEN

if you want to learn about the swedish healthcare system , you'll have to access this 145 page report :

THE SWEDISH HEALTHCARE SYSTEM

this sentence sums it up :

Quote:
The health status of the Swedish population is one of the best in the world.
The main strengths of the Swedish health care system include a provision
of health care services for all based on need, democratic control and local
accountability
, control over total expenditures and effective management of
clinical activities.
0 Replies