Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:05 am
Milton's Inferno!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:39 am
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

On this issue, Friedman gets it right. But you don't want to read Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" if you have a Freidman alter at home.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!
True.
There is a wonderful quote about Milton Friedman I once heard.
I believe it goes something like: "People love to argue with Milton Friedman, especially when he's not in the room."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:41 pm
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

On this issue, Friedman gets it right. But you don't want to read Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" if you have a Freidman alter at home.
Cheap 'n nasty summation?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:42 pm
Mexica wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!
True.
There is a wonderful quote about Milton Friedman I once heard.
I believe it goes something like: "People love to argue with Milton Friedman, especially when he's not in the room."
Funny!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 06:02 pm
Best quote about economics I've ever seen is in Stephen Levitt's 'Freakonomics' and goes something like:

Quote:

Religion is about the way things ought to be; economics is about the way things actually are...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

It's available at Chapters. You lazy bastard.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

....when you buy a book new, chances are as long as its not a new title, an out-of-print title, or something like that, it's going to lose 99% of its value when you leave the store with it. You might argue that the value lies in the reading of the book, but I would argue back that you can get that value for free at the library.

PaperBackSwap Your source for swapping books online!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 09:52 pm
Echoes of the modern war on drugs:

Dr. Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence was the first American to call chronic drunkenness a distinct disease.

He is best remembered for his efforts on behalf of temperance and his original work--called a "masterpiece"--was a radical challenge to the traditional dictum that drinking was a positive good.

http://library.uwaterloo.ca/seagrams/temper/sea2.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 04:34 am
War on drugs and the war in Iraq until Petraeus took over: The same spell binding lack of situational awareness and the same inability to prioritize.

Four years to get our head out of our ass in Iraq. Fifty years and we still have not managed to do so in the "drug war". We used to be better at adjusting after it had become clear that we f*cked-up.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:18 am
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

....when you buy a book new, chances are as long as its not a new title, an out-of-print title, or something like that, it's going to lose 99% of its value when you leave the store with it. You might argue that the value lies in the reading of the book, but I would argue back that you can get that value for free at the library.

Clearly, that should have been "lazy and cheap bastard".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 07:24 pm
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

I'll take that as a time honored compliment.

Or looked at another, way the soft underbelly of your liberal intellectualism is exposed by your indirect critique of libraries.

Or looked at another way, it's time for a snack and a snooze.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 09:11 am
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
blatham wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Milton Friedman Rocks!

hi chumly

I'll take that as a time honored compliment.

Or looked at another, way the soft underbelly of your liberal intellectualism is exposed by your indirect critique of libraries.

Or looked at another way, it's time for a snack and a snooze.

Snack and snooze (and, for good measure, a snuzzle) completed. I'm a new man, my hair ablaze with spring blossoms and my thighs are all athunder.
0 Replies