Mammograms and Copayments

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 12:16 am
In a January 24 New England Journal of Medicine study, even small copayments discouraged patients from undergoing necessary mammograms. Although the study focuses on elderly and low-income women, it suggests similar results in other socioeconomic groups. Do you think copayments discourage patients from getting cancer screening tests?

Medscape Today
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 06:00 am
I think that people are loath to face the fact that they may be subject to serious illness. There are many who simply put their head in the sand, and will not go for cancer screening tests, including breast, colon and prostate cancer. Having to pay a copay for the test gives people just another excuse.

I think that those folks who are concerned about their health, and are knowledgeable about the benefits of early detection, will shell out the few bucks for the peace of mind.

I would suspect if these tests were offered for free, that not too many more than the people who undergo these tests regularly now would avail themselves of these services.

As for the people who are on a limited income, it is a matter of priorities. Those who take their health seriously, will give up something else, and find money for the tests.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:36 am
Phoenix makes excellent points.

Many people would rather not investigate the possibility of unpleasantness.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:52 am
No one wants to hear "bad news".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:54 am
I also don't think co-pays are a big factor. I qualify for free screenings and I always wait until the last minute to make the appointments. It's just not a pleasant way to spend a morning. It's not just the thought of having the illness, but the whole process is uncomfortable. Lets face it, you can go about your daily routine or you can get undressed in a cold room and have your breasts smashed to the thickness of a pancake- which would the average person choose? I always send a donation to the hospital afterwards, and I'm told many women like myself do the same, so I really don't think it's the money. The motivating factor for me is getting the letter saying I'm healthy.
0 Replies