So what happens after liposuction.....?

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:29 am
If you don't stop eating poorly, overeating etc?

I watched this show I'd taped, about a 13 year old girl that weighed 321 pounds.

She wanted to get liposuction to "get rid of" her fat.

During the show she kept telling anyone who would listen how hard she was trying.
She had tried hard to lose weight, but when there was a scene where her mother gave her a steak and salad for dinner, she made a huge show of gagging on the tomatoes, as well as any other vegetable apparantly.
She went on a weekend trip with her mother and cousin, and when her mother went off for some adult time to play the slot machines (she worked 2 jobs, she definately deserved it), the girl hit the buffet table, piling her plate with fried chicken strips and mac & cheese....and nothing else....plus a cheesecake, cookie and cupcake desert.

She was also trying hard to get her iron level up so she could have the surgery....and forgot to bring her iron pills on vacation, the day before she was going in for her 2nd blood test (she had already failed the first).

Anyway, her hemoglobin was barely normal, so the doc refused the procedure.

My thoughts/questions..

This girl was obviously not going to adhere to any reduction/improvement in her eating.

Fat cells expand to accomodate intake. If they are removed, and the remaining cells cannot handle the load, what happens?

Would the parts of your body that still have the fat cell blow up, giving you huge feet, fingers, neck etc?

Or does the body make new fat cells where the old ones were?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 25
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:55 am
bm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:59 am
Obviously this kid thinks liposuction is a magic wand. Poof! No more fat.

The advantage of liposuction is that small quantities of fat (whole fat cells, partial fat cells, occasional muscle cells, many tiny capillaries and anything else in the way of the suction) can be removed from any designated area.

Disadvantages:

Quote:
Possible risks of liposuction include:
Uneven contours
Rippling or loose skin
Skin or nerve damage
Irregular pigmentation
Infection
Fat clots
Blood clots
Excessive fluid loss or fluid accumulation
Unfavorable scarring
Thermal burn or heat injury from ultrasound with the ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty technique
Anesthesia risks
Bleeding (hematoma)
Change in skin sensation
Skin discoloration or swelling
Asymmetry
Pain, which may persist
Damage to deeper structures such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles, lungs, and abdominal organs
Poor wound healing
Persistent swelling in the legs
Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
Possibility of revisional surgery

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/patients_consumers/procedures/Lipoplasty.cfm#six

This kid would not qualify for liposuction.

From the same source:

Quote:
Is it right for me?
If you are bothered by excess fat deposits - located anywhere on your body - that don't respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you.

Ideal candidates for liposuction are:

Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
Non-smokers
Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring

Be careful
Following your physician's instructions is key to the success of your surgery. It is important that the surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, swelling, abrasion, or motion during the time of healing. Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself.

There are some pictures of successful Body Sculpting on the above site. Of course, if you over feed your new, beautiful body you're right back to the Old Bulgy You.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:00 am
shewolfnm wrote:
bm

yes, I'm sure her bm's were quite large.

Interesting Noddy.

I notice their careful wording about how weight can be regained, but not about where it would appear.

maybe you'd become a fat head.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:40 am
Chai--

You say the sweetest things!

Actually my brain, like yours, is lean and mean. My mid-section is like marbled beef.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:34 pm
We were just learning about fat cells in this health class I'm taking, and I guess the old theory that you only make new fat cells when you're a kid is wrong. So I'm sure you could easily just make new ones after lipo. That, and the remaining ones can always just pack more fat into them too, so I don't think you'd end up with sausage fingers or anything Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:51 pm
I thought that once the cells have been reduced from a particular area of the body, that's it. No such thing as "growing new cells". So, any new weight is redistributed to other parts of the body.

I've just learned that a relative of mine is considering the stomach stapling technique and she has to be psychologically evaluated before the procedure. I don't think she'll get green-lighted. She has some serious issues.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 06:00 am
You know eoe, that's what I was worried about with this kid.

The procedure apparantly would have gone ahead if her iron levels were good.

No way emotionally was she a good candidate.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:17 am
I've seen a couple of examples where the person has gained weight after the operation and they go back to looking the same as before the procedure. A relative of mine had a breast reduction, tummy tuck and some lipo on her hips. She looked great for about two years, she then put on about 30 lbs and you would never know she had had the work done. I remember she talked about how painful the surgery was and that she would never do it again. About a year ago, Vanity Fair magazine published an excellent article on this kind of surgery and how people get addicted to it. If I find it on line I will post it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:37 am
I'm surprised that a 13 year old would even be considered for such surgery. Isn't lipo still considered a 'vanity' procedure, like breast jobs and tummy tucks?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:42 am
I'll send her my diet tape for 9.95. Guaranteed to work. I've offered this tape here before. It's Duct tape put it across your big fat mouth and watch the weight disapear.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:43 am
That's awful! Laughing Laughing Laughing

My overweight aunt, celebrating her 75th birthday next month, is in the hospital. Complications from a colonoscopy. Last night when I spoke with one of her daughters and heard that she hadn't eaten any solid food since last Friday, I climbed into my aunt's head and knew exactly what she'd been thinking.

"Great! I'll lose a few pounds before my birthday party!"
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:52 am
eoe wrote:
I'm surprised that a 13 year old would even be considered for such surgery. Isn't lipo still considered a 'vanity' procedure, like breast jobs and tummy tucks?

There are some doctors that will do anything for the money. Think Michael Jackson,
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:53 am
I'd rather not....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:53 am
But Michael Jackson was an adult.
I don't think this type of surgery on a child is even legal. Well, I guess with a parents' consent...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:54 am
eoe wrote:

Question
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
eoe wrote:

Question

He is. A grown-ass man masquerading as a child.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:56 am
eoe wrote:

There are no laws that would prevent a child from having cosmetic surgery. If a parent is willing to sign off on it, there are doctors willing to do it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:11 am
eoe wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
eoe wrote:

Question

He is. A grown-ass man masquerading as a child.

but a child of what species?

Michael sort of bowed out of the regular human race awhile ago didn't he?

What do you think? Mutant or alien? Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 01:55 pm
eoe wrote:
I thought that once the cells have been reduced from a particular area of the body, that's it. No such thing as "growing new cells".

Yeah, that's what they used to think--that you formed fat cells at three stages in childhood and that was it. But now they've found that new fat cells can be formed at any stage of life. It's called....hmm, racking my brains here-- I'd better be able to remember, midterm is tomorrow!...hyperplasia, that's it. There's also hypertrophy, which is adding more fat to existing fat cells, which would also allow you to gain weight in the same areas after lipo. .......those are the right terms, anyway, I may have mixed up which one is which! half credit, hopefully Wink
0 Replies