Former friends who helped enormously

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:05 am
I think back to people and consider some of the contributions they've made to the quality of my life. Here are a few:

The co-worker who introduced me to the film director Kusturica and the movie Time of the Gypsies.

My college English teacher who was the first person to approach reading and books in a way I could understand.

My sister who helped me move.

My current boss who asked me to come work for her, which saved me from a really awful job.

My former home state where I used to work-- the higher than usual wacky co-workers who appreciated goofiness in a way I haven't seen anywhere else.

How 'bout you all? Any appreciations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 986 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
Ooops, ought not to say former friends.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
The co-worker that never knew it, but was key to my stopping drinking.

The guy who shared my love of reading, which caused me to realize I wasn't the odd one.

My neighbor, who died 2 years ago, that showed the world at large that love never runs out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:17 am
My sixth grade teacher who treated us as people, not just annoying kids.

My friend "E" who was really there for me when I needed a good friend.

My psych professor in undergraduate school. She was 6 years younger than me, and freaked me out by having me call her by her first name. She had a poster in her office that said "A woman's place is in the world". She opened my eyes to a lot of things.

Ayn Rand- She helped me to codify my views on life.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:20 am
Chai wrote:
The guy who shared my love of reading, which caused me to realize I wasn't the odd one.

I don't want to diminish the other two-- but this one especially resonates because you learn to grow into yourself (through the experience you've described) and feel comfortable with and relishingfeeling odd. Reading, what a salvation.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My sixth grade teacher who treated us as people, not just annoying kids.

Kindergarten-- Mrs. Winn. We were all pint-sized human beings to her, not unruly demons in need of structure. It's amazing how one teacher can make all the difference.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:26 am
When I was 18 I met a Jungian analyst while travelling on a train. She was tuned in to the rocky vicissitudes of the 18 yr. old brain, what a relief to not feel like the odd one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:33 am
my kindergarden teacher.

The only teacher in deep texas that did not make fun of my mixed race.
In fact, looking back , I think I may have been one of his favorites.

I had a dream of him a few years ago.. seeing him in the hospital dying of MS. He did not see me in the dream, but I believe I saw him ..
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
BBB
Miss Goode, my history teacher. She understood that my middle name was "why?"and encouraged my curiosity. She wanted me to enter the national history contest, which required two years of history, while I had only one year of history class. She taught the second year for me at her home after school for a month. I survived through the California competition but did not make it to the finals in the national contest. It was a wonderful experience that made me a lover of history for life.

BBB
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
There has not been a single person in my life who has ever gone very far out of their way to help me or teach me anything. All that I know comes from having continually fallen on my ass, picking myself up again saying "i don't want to do that again"

The people I am grateful for are mostly random strangers, who at one point or another made a kind gesture towards me, or had a nice word and a smile for me. At a certain time in my life people whom I did not know on an Internet forum such as this did help me a great deal, however.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 03:28 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
There has not been a single person in my life who has ever gone very far out of their way to help me or teach me anything. All that I know comes from having continually fallen on my ass, picking myself up again saying "i don't want to do that again"

The people I am grateful for are mostly random strangers, who at one point or another made a kind gesture towards me, or had a nice word and a smile for me. At a certain time in my life people whom I did not know on an Internet forum such as this did help me a great deal, however.

I agree about the strangers thing...the other day I dropped my ID leaving the Metro and a bunch of high school age students picked it up and hailed me down to return it to me. I'd be lost w/out that ID.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:03 pm
I've had teachers, bosses, friends, and strangers help me. Of course, I've had the opposite as well, but still.

This will probably sound both saccharine and out to lunch, but my dog helped me, not so long ago.

Most recently, Dys and Diane - and other a2kers - have helped me deal with life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:19 pm
on a2k:
I am grateful to dys and diane, eternally.
Aso, my other good friend, letty.

I am grateful to my wife, for putting up with me thirty years.

I am grateful to my oldest living brother, for a lifetime of companionship and understanding.

I am grateful to a friend turned enemy, who helped me with a health issue and enabled me to keep living the life I live, and fighting the ravages of getting older.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:26 pm
My father for teaching me to love books; to always try to do "the right thing";

The many a2kers who helped me through tough times - I was too proud to ask my real-life friends.

My French teacher, who taught me to love the arts and literature although i was a science/engineering student.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm
my parents and sister, for being the wonderfulest people on earth.
0 Replies