Being Altruist?

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:46 am
Is being an Altruist a good thing? Why are they always on the losing end?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 869 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:14 am
Something tells me there's more behind this that you'd like to say.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:24 am
I've tried not to be an altruist, But I can't. It is costly to be an altruist but I am guilt free. But I also now live be the rule, "do unto others as they do unto you" Meaning I exclude these people from altruist treatment without remorse.

This is more inline with the satanist religion whitch is widely misunderstood.

You only exercise altruism with people that return it the rest have forfeited decent treatment by being selfish or greedy or liers or taking advantage of others.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:36 am
Maybe we should be on the same page with altruism and what it means.

Quote:
1 : unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others

To me, by definition, altruism (or being altruistic) takes 'self' out of the equation.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
It is a good thing if you know who you are and giving to others without regard to yourself is your nature. As with everything else you need to do what you do for you. If you are living your life for others then you have gone over to the dark side, you are dangerous because you are not grounded in anything.

Now if what you really want to know is why is it that nice guys finish last with the girls...that is a whole nother kettle of fish.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
Try imagining every person in the world as equal.

Now try regarding yourself as the most important person in the world, whose needs, feelings, and values are incredibly important...

...equality now demands that every other person is also the most important person in the world, with needs, feelings and values that are incredibly important...things that are the equal of yours.

You won't find altruism in there, but you will find a greater concern for mankind.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:48 pm
vikorr wrote:
Try imagining every person in the world as equal.

Now try regarding yourself as the most important person in the world, whose needs, feelings, and values are incredibly important...

...equality now demands that every other person is also the most important person in the world, with needs, feelings and values that are incredibly important...things that are the equal of yours.

You won't find altruism in there, but you will find a greater concern for mankind.

Well said vikorr. You remind me of one of my professors. He reasons things out much the same way as you do. I like his class because he has a way of taking the boredom out and capturing your attention.

Dtoxikated? Would love to know more about your situation. Something tells me that I will be able to relate to what you're saying.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
Re: Being Altruist?
Dtoxikated wrote:
Is being an Altruist a good thing? Why are they always on the losing end?

'Cos people take the piss.
0 Replies

Dtoxikated

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 01:42 am
It's quite hard for me, actually. I am kinda altruist. I am. And, that's where the problem is. I mean I just can't help it. I have been told many times to think of self first and then others. But I can't really do it. And, I know that it gives me pain being an altruist. When I do things for others, I expect certain things from others too. Not from all but from some people. But, when that doesn't happen I am heart broken. I am sad and all. It depresses me hell. In short, it kills me.

Take for example, this girl I know. She's all good and all. I can do anything for her. I have actually did many things for her. She's all alone in this city. So, when she travels I go with her. I help her in her assignments and projects. Whenever she needs me, I am there. This sometimes make me expect certain things from her. I expect her to be there always when I need her and stuff. But, when that doesn't happen, I am pissed off. I just don't know what to do about it. I really don't know.

Another example, people take advantage of me with this. I mean my classmates. They always tell me things to do because they know I will not say NO. I know this all but still can't help it out. I just don't know what to do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:10 am
ah, there's a difference between being altruistic and a schmuck. There's also a difference between being in a relationship (give and take goes both ways) and doing something for others without thought of a return. I think what you're talking about is being in a relationship and feeling that you're kindness is being taken for granted. That goes back to the nice guys finishing last concept (they don't always but it seems like that sometimes).

Quote:
This sometimes make me expect certain things from her. I expect her to be there always when I need her and stuff. But, when that doesn't happen, I am pissed off.

So, is there some kind of score card you're keeping? Like, I've done a, b, and c and now I'm looking for x, y, or z? Expecting someone to always be there when you need them is not likely to happen. The always part is your issue. People are individuals within and outside the relationship. They have there own stuff going on. No one is always available and you have to decide if the times that she isn't available for you are excessive to what you can stand in a two-way relationship. Is she Ever there for you? Sometimes? Most often? Look at your expectations of others (payback, always available) and ask yourself if they are reasonable.

On the giving side -- does she appreciate the energies you give to helping her? Does she enjoy your company or do you feel used? You may decide that this particular relationship isn't working for you or you may decide to take a more altruistic approach and not think in terms of what you get back from giving.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:32 am
Dtoxikated wrote:
It's quite hard for me, actually. I am kinda altruist. I am. And, that's where the problem is. I mean I just can't help it. I have been told many times to think of self first and then others. But I can't really do it. And, I know that it gives me pain being an altruist. When I do things for others, I expect certain things from others too. Not from all but from some people. But, when that doesn't happen I am heart broken. I am sad and all. It depresses me hell. In short, it kills me.

Take for example, this girl I know. She's all good and all. I can do anything for her. I have actually did many things for her. She's all alone in this city. So, when she travels I go with her. I help her in her assignments and projects. Whenever she needs me, I am there. This sometimes make me expect certain things from her. I expect her to be there always when I need her and stuff. But, when that doesn't happen, I am pissed off. I just don't know what to do about it. I really don't know.

Another example, people take advantage of me with this. I mean my classmates. They always tell me things to do because they know I will not say NO. I know this all but still can't help it out. I just don't know what to do.
Read some Nietzsche.

I suggest a book called "Hammer of the gods". It is a collection of parts of all his books.

You need to understand how the majority of human nature is. Yout altruism will not be reciprocated. You will be disrespected and taken advantage of. Try treating her like ****. Then see what happens.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 01:57 am
Amigo wrote:
[I suggest a book called "Hammer of the gods". It is a collection of parts of all his books.

You need to understand how the majority of human nature is. Yout altruism will not be reciprocated. You will be disrespected and taken advantage of. Try treating her like ****. Then see what happens.

Along the same lines but much more accessible would be "the 48 laws of power" and "the art of seduction" by Robert Greene. Word of warning...these books will scramble your brain.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 02:34 am
Looks good. I checked it out.
0 Replies