achieve target or goal

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:03 pm
It is also significant that we have pledged to our High Priest that we will achieve the target of five thousand converts by the end of the year.

Is 'achieve the target' fine or should it be 'the goal'. Are there any other errors in the sentence?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 862 • Replies: 15
No top replies

username

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
Either one will do. I'm not sure if I would capitalize High Priest, unless that's the exact title, rather than just a descriptive phrase. You'd probably say "We promised the pope...." unless it was a specific person with their title, "We promised Pope Benedict...". I'd think it's the same with "high priest".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 03:05 pm
What the are you writing Yoong?

There are honoured high priests and converts.... what are you are part of?

I want to know becausel ife can be so confusing. I..I'm searching for answers, anywhere.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:47 am
Hi Ebrown

1. There is only one honoured High Priest in my religion. The rest posted to different countries are Chief Priests and Assistant Priess.

Is it clear now?

2. It is also significant that we have pledged to our High Priest that we will achieve the target of five thousand converts by the end of the year.

3.` Is 'achieve the target' fine or should it be 'the goal'. Are there any other errors in the sentence?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:17 am
I'm sorry, but I DO see an error with "achieve the target".
We must remember the phrase is a metaphor of an actual archery or shooting (darts, whatever) target. As such, it's quite impossible to "achieve" a target. You can "hit" or "miss" or "move" a target, but quite silly to say you will achieve it. Laughing
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:23 am
from my dictionary, definition for "target"; a goal to be achieved.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:24 am
Quincy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I DO see an error with "achieve the target".
We must remember the phrase is a metaphor of an actual archery or shooting (darts, whatever) target. As such, it's quite impossible to "achieve" a target. You can "hit" or "miss" or "move" a target, but quite silly to say you will achieve it. Laughing

So it should be 'achieve the goal'. Is that what you mean?

Thanks.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:24 am
Either one, Young, either one. And unless you have a name for the high priest, I think he is the high priest, not the High Priest.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:27 am
username wrote:
Either one, Young, either one. And unless you have a name for the high priest, I think he is the high priest, not the High Priest.
Thanks. So you disagree with Quincy. He seems to have the point, but it a common expression. Do you agree?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:28 am
I suppose "achieve a target" has become acceptable today, but I certainly wouldn't use it. In fact, I wouldn't use such a cliche at all! But that's another matter- I would rather use goal, but if the experts here say either, who am I to argue?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:30 am
Quincy wrote:
I suppose "achieve a target" has become acceptable today, but I certainly wouldn't use it. In fact, I wouldn't use such a cliche at all! But that's another matter- I would rather use goal, but if the experts here say either, who am I to argue?

I think I've read somewhere that 'achieve the target' is wrong, but then the expression is very common.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:05 am
I agree with Quincy. One reaches a goal. One achieves a specified objective.

We achieved the recruitment of five hundred new members.

To achieve the eviction of a drunk customer, the bartender needed the help of five men.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:13 am
Well, my dictionary gives, as the 4th meaning of target:

A desired end; a goal

And an older one gives as the last entry:

butt for scorn.

So I guess, maybe I'm just being silly and splitting hairs (another wonderful cliche! Very Happy ).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:20 am
You're not splitting hairs, you're standing up for clarity and precision.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:22 pm
If I were going to try for clarity and precision, I certainly wouldn't say "To achieve the eviction of...". when a simple "To evict..." would suffice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 12:40 am
username wrote:
If I were going to try for clarity and precision, I certainly wouldn't say "To achieve the eviction of...". when a simple "To evict..." would suffice.

But it was an artificially concocted sentence to illustrate the usage of "achieve".
0 Replies