Could I be infertile?

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:19 pm
I am a 22 yr old genereally healthy girl from Ohio. From age 13-18 I was on birth control. Almost a different type every year. At age 18, I was diagnosed with a benign tumor in my breast, and had it surgically removed, (Even now suspecting now that it may have came back again). So, I KNOW that these hormones had some kind of a negative effect on me from age 13 on. Now, even though I am not quite ready for a baby, the desire sinks into my heart more and more each day. I can't help but to be so worried at the fact that I may not even be able to conceive. Its been 3 years since Ive been off of birth control and sexually active (with 4 different men too), and you just think it would've happened by now. Before I consult a docter, I wanted to ask an expert. maybe someone can tell me what they think. Thank you. Ash
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 968 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed
No top replies

JPB

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 04:34 pm
Well, what I think is that you are playing with fire by sleeping with 4 different men without using some method of contraceptive but that doesn't answer your question.

I'm not a doctor (or expert) but I don't think being on BCP for 5 years from the age of 13 - 18 would cause you to be infertile. Did you start using them at 13 for contraceptive purposes or to try to regulate your periods?
0 Replies

patiodog

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 04:38 pm
Quote:
Before I consult a docter, I wanted to ask an expert.

I suspect that most of the experts are doctors. Though not all doctors are experts...
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:10 pm
to answer your ?...
It was a little of both. I told my mom I lost my virginity. Days later, I didnt get my period so my mom took me to the doc. They found out I had irregular periods due to a cyst on my ovary. So they gave me BC. for both reasons.
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:17 pm
Ash, unless you've actually attempted to conceive and failed then I would suggest not getting bogged down by worrying that you're infertile. I'll save the moralistic rant about being ready to settle down before becoming a parent but I strongly suggest you use contraception (as well as protect yourself from STDs) until you're ready to have a child.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:28 pm
Won't even guess at it. That's stress on you worrying about it for no reason!

If you are concerned, a few ideas:
-Get a good doctor, go regularly, take care of your reproductive and overall health and get your proper check ups
-Talk and work out a contraceptive method that works for you

Learn, learn, learn. Knowledge is power and if you go to the doctor, do what you need to do, and keep informed about your body and what is happening with it, you will be more inclined to not worry yourself into a sickness.

Condoms are a wonderful thing even if you use other methods too. They are our friends! Smile

Learn.
Doc.
Take care of yourself, lady!

You might be amazed how much taking the stress of not knowing out the equation can do. Stress contributes to all that stuff you want to avoid.
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
Ok now a few things about that...
First off, Ive never used a condom in my life, never caught a disease, and never got pregnant. Second off, I have only been in long-term relationships which have all been serious in their entirety. Third off, I have had some serious issues due to high hormone exposure...I know that. So, this isn't a "stress" issue or a "moral" issue. Above all, it definitely hasn't worried me into a sickness. It IS a health issue. What I really want to know is, could 5 years exposure to BC (During my young puberty days), cause Infertility? Is there cases of it happening a lot? it seems to me that there would be. lets try not to make this a "shes too young to think this way" kind of deal here people. I am simply asking questions...
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:36 pm
You lost your virginity at 13, stayed on BCP for five years, and had four serious relationships in the three years you've been off the pill, and are completely unconcerned about STDs and contraception.

Unfortunately, the short answer is No.

Quote:
Survey Finding: Twenty-one percent of women surveyed believe the Pill can cause infertility.

Fact: There is no clinical evidence that the Pill affects fertility. When a woman is ready to become pregnant, she should consult her healthcare professional and stop taking her birth control pills. Most women experience a rapid return to fertility. Source
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:38 pm
Quote:
Pregnancy After the Pill
There is no reason to worry about becoming pregnant after you stop taking the pill. The pill will in no way affect your fertility and more than 90% of pill-users become pregnant within a year of coming off the pill. This being said, it does take some women longer to become pregnant after stopping the pill.

Typically, it takes about three months for full fertility to return. Some women may find that it takes closer to six months for them to become pregnant. Other women become pregnant immediately after going off of the of the pill. It really depends upon your body's own natural cycle
here

Another site says that 21% of people believe that the pill causes long term infertility, but there is zero clinical evidence for this
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 10:45 pm
There could be other reasons you haven't conceived yet.

Even something as far fetched as LUCK. Laughing
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Fri 8 Feb, 2008 11:01 pm
Ok Guys. Thanks
I feel a little better. Thank you.
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 01:39 pm
I'm still open 4 opinions here...
If theres anyone else out there who know about the effects of High Hormone Exposure, please let me know. I know theres others out there like me. Breast Tumors caused by Birth Control aren't fun. They're so painful that its hard to even walk around (unless you're holding yourself constantly). I think that too many women take these high-potency contraceptives without even thinking twice about the potential health risks. Especially when it comes to girls ages 12-15. Just look at me.

On a personal note, my opinion is that the only reason a woman should be on any type of contraceptive at all should be if shes risking significant health problems if she gets preganant. People now a days seem to think that getting pregnant is like catching AIDS (unless your married and planning), in the sense that its portrayed as SUCH a negative thing. No one should be scared of getting pregnant...they should be scared of NOT getting pregnant. This is a gift that nature gave you and you are flirting with diester if you all of the sudden "make it go away". We aren't supposed to have that kind of power. Pretty soon, no woman will be able to concieve at all because of this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 01:59 pm
Where do you get the idea that they are caused by birth control? Can you cite a reputable medical source for that idea?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:03 pm
I assume that you realize that your view is an extreme minority opinion. It is also offensive to those who believe that contraceptive and thus control over pregnancy has been one of the primary means to empower women to make their own choices of the direction their lives take.

You are entitled to live your life and your views, but this opinion will not win you many friends.
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:11 pm
Yes, in Fact...
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/fibroadenoma.jsp

This info clearly states that it occurs to women who are dependant upon estrogen due to BC. And my Gyno told me so.

And as far as my belief goes for being a minority, it doesn't bother me. It actually stimulates me more so. Let us not forget that there was only one person to think 'a way' before that 'way' became the present. Like, um, thinking the world was flat.
0 Replies

TigerLily1985

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 02:12 pm
Yes, in Fact...
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/fibroadenoma.jsp

This info clearly states that it occurs to women who are dependant upon estrogen due to BC. And my Gyno told me so.

And as far as my belief goes for being a minority, it doesn't bother me. It actually stimulates me more so. Let us not forget that there was only one person to think 'a way' before that 'way' became the present. Like, um, thinking the world was flat.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 03:37 pm
Re: I'm still open 4 opinions here...
TigerLily1985 wrote:
On a personal note, my opinion is that the only reason a woman should be on any type of contraceptive at all should be if shes risking significant health problems if she gets preganant. People now a days seem to think that getting pregnant is like catching AIDS (unless your married and planning), in the sense that its portrayed as SUCH a negative thing. No one should be scared of getting pregnant...they should be scared of NOT getting pregnant. This is a gift that nature gave you and you are flirting with diester if you all of the sudden "make it go away". We aren't supposed to have that kind of power. Pretty soon, no woman will be able to concieve at all because of this.

The CDC estimates that 20 million people in the US are infected with HPV. HPV is the primary cause of cervical cancer in women. HPV infection is generally symptom free and easily transmissible by unprotected sex. Genital Herpes (Herpes Simplex II) is present in approx 25 million people in the US. It is incurable and can be transmitted to newborns via the birth canal during delivery resulting in localized or disseminated infection including central nervous system involvement. Syphilis, HIV, Hepatitis B and C, and HTLV I/II are all sexually transmitted. Some are treatable, some are not. Some are transmissible to neonates through the birthing process and/or via breastmilk. Contraceptives, particularly condoms and spermicidal creams/gels go a long ways towards preventing many sexually transmitted diseases, some of which are symptom free and discovered accidentally only after they've been transmitted to other sexual partners and/or their babies. I have personally been involved in the notification of young women, including pregnant women, that they were infected with sexually transmitted viruses that could affect their lives and the lives of their babies. Women who, like you, thought they had chosen their partners wisely and that their risks were minimal.

The idea that you have no responsibility to anyone but yourself is naive and selfish. Preventing unwanted pregnancy is only one aspect of responsible sexual behavior.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 04:23 pm
I understand your concerns about BC - yes, there are risks. Yes, it's not right for everyone.

This is why I am so grateful for condoms. There is no risk to you, as a woman, to have your guy slip on a condom!

There are also other wonderful forms of contraceptives available.

So, while I can sympathize and even agree to a degree about young women and girls getting rushed rushed into BC , without first being able to understand all the risks involved, I think you are taking this to the other extreme.

I am not fearful of getting pregnant, yet I take it seriously and want to ensure that any children brought into this world by me are giving the best they possibly can.

Part of doing that is to be sexually responsible, learn and take care of my own body, and yes, even planning for a child.

Children are a blessing and deserve equal consideration to our own ideas, beliefs, and desires.

Once you own up to your own responsibility in the matter, then you might find more people willing to listen to what you have to say about your "cause".

I, too, JPB, thought of the possibility of HPV. It's something I learned about not until after I was sexually active, and I had to learn the hard way.

This is why I think so strongly that knowledge is the only way to go. Not a stubborn insistence that there is one "right" way to do things; but an informed and responsible application of choice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:59 pm
Re: Yes, in Fact...
TigerLily1985 wrote:

I've read that benign lumps actually decrease with women who take birth control pills. It is pattern that happens with normal menstrual cycles, in any case.

But, I'm not a gynecologist, and will have to go hunting to find corroboration for tour gyno' comments or the sites I've run across before - and I'm off typing recipes and doing other stuff.
Will get back on that.

On JPB's comments, I agree with her. STD's affect more than the immediate 'victim', and be fatal or tremendously serius. She and I have in common some experience in medical laboratories, and while I have never personally had to be the one that told patients some tough news that affected not only the patient, I can sympathize.

I also had a scare myself once, in that one of the causes for my eye disease symptoms is syphilis, a venereal disease, so the docs ran a routine syphilis test and I came back with a 1+ positive. Luckily, as a tech who did similar tests I knew enough to challenge it (before, gads, I had to inform a bunch of folks), and called the head of infectious disease at my university, a friend of my boss. He told me what test they should run as a follow up, they ran it, and I came out with a negative on that. Whew.

Past disease protection, which is serious, breeding without being mature enough to care for a child or children for at least a couple of decades is irresponsible - never mind the trouble to you, the trouble to the child.
Your blitheness about this worries us. We are not saying it isn't natural to become pregnant.
0 Replies

Chai

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 08:17 pm
Curious tigerlilly, what is your definitin of "long term relationship"?

4 men in three years? That is NOT long term.

That's an average of 9 months apiece, if you didn't at least take some kid of break in between.

How many relationships were these men in prior to your having sex with them?
0 Replies