Escape after Hitler's election: easy or not?

Sleidia

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
Hi guys,

I'd like to know how easy/difficult it was for a german jew to emigrate to either the US or Australia or Canada just after Hitler was elected.

Could people easily afford the cost of travel?
Were immigration laws of the cited countries more/less rigid than now?
Were they allowed to leave Germany?

Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 08:01 am
Is this your homework?
0 Replies

Sleidia

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 01:27 pm
Definitively not.
I'm 35 and just curious Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 01:51 pm
So, if you are curious enough, work a little bit.

By typing your questions on Google, you can have many sources that provide answers.

Look, typing "jews to escape Germany" you can get this:

Quote:
In fact, during the war years, anti-Semitism rose in the United States, Jewish cemeteries and synagogues were vandalized and desecrated with swastikas and anti-Jewish slogans like, "Christ Killers," Jewish boys were beaten by gangs, and U.S. immigration laws made it more difficult, not easier, for Jews to escape Germany by migrating to the U.S.

Just choose your carefully your words in order to get the best answers...
0 Replies

Sleidia

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 04:14 am
If I wanted to just us Google, I would have done so.
Now, if you don't want to participate more than that, I have no problem with it.

Forums are, not only a mean for search, but they also are a way to discuss things.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
There were large cruise ships (one was called SS ST. Louis) with thousands of Jews on board who had left Germany from the impending Holocaust, with the goal to emigrate to the USA or Cuba.

Once the ships docked in Havanna resp. New York, they (Jews) were refused entry, their visas were cancelled and they had no other option than to
return to Nazi Germany.
0 Replies

Sleidia

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:24 pm
Thanks Smile

I just read this : http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/stlouis.html

The world was completely mad at that time!

And it looks like Canada were as tough as the US in the end:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/canada.html
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:01 pm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:44 pm
sleidia :
since i grew up in hamburg , i'm familiar with the name WARBURG -
a banking family in hamburg - many banks were private , family-owned banks .

you may find the article at the link of interest - pls click :

THE WARBURGS IN HAMBURG

and here is an article on :

A BRANCH OF THE WARBURG FAMILY

one of the WARBURG brothers returned to hamburg/germany after WW II - but i don't recall which one . he wrote a very interesting book about his experiences .
i read it some years ago but cannot find a reference to it .
your library might be able to help you find it .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 04:00 pm
it was ERIC WARBURG who returned to hamburg/germany after WW II .

Quote:
July 11, 1990

Eric Warburg, 90, Investment Banker From Germany, Dies

By ALFONSO A. NARVAEZ
LEAD: Eric M. Warburg, an international banker and a member of the German banking family, died on Monday at his home in Hamburg, West Germany. He was 90 years old.

Eric M. Warburg, an international banker and a member of the German banking family, died on Monday at his home in Hamburg, West Germany. He was 90 years old.

He died of cardiac disease, his daughter, Dr. Marie Warburg, said.

Mr. Warburg retired in 1982 as a managing partner of M. M. Warburg, Brinckmann, Wirtz & Company, a private banking house in Hamburg. From 1939 to 1973 he was president of E. M. Warburg, Pincus & Company in New York.

Born in Hamburg on April 15, 1900, Mr. Warburg was educated at the Heinrich Hertz-Realgymnasium in Hamburg, served in the German Army in 1918 and learned the banking business in Berlin, Frankfurt, London and New York.

Awarded Legion of Merit

From 1929 to 1938 he was a managing partner of M. M. Warburg & Company in Hamburg and of Warburg & Company of Amsterdam. A Jew, he fled Germany in 1938 and in World War II served as a lieutenant colonel in the United States Army. He was an intelligence officer and took part in the interrogation of leading Nazis, including Hermann Goring.

As the war in Europe drew to a close, he helped arrange for German scientists and their families to be taken to the West. He was awarded the Legion of Merit by the United States, the Order of the British Empire and the Croix de Guerre. He was an ardent proponent of United States reconciliation with Germany and was a founding member of the American Council on Germany in New York. He also served as treasurer of the International Rescue Committee.

He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothea Thorsch; a son, Max, of Hamburg; two daughters, Dr. Marie Warburg of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Erica Warburg of Hamburg; two sisters, Anita Warburg of Manhattan and Gisela Warburg-Wyzanski of Cambridge, Mass., and four grandchildren.

0 Replies