my kids and chores

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:03 pm
How would you handle this....

My kids had early dismissal today and I worked. On the ex's weeknight to have the kids he has them after school til 8pm. This is the evening I'm usually on-call and working late, so the instructions are that the kids take the bus home, let the dog out and then go with dad.

Today, I emailed the ex that the kids needed to do a few chores before going to his house since they get home early. I also told the kids, and the chores are not extensive. I got home after work and the grocery store to find no chores were done. As a matter of fact, the ex picked my son up at school and never came by the house.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, I can't take care of two kids and the entire house by myself. They just don't get it! And it's unfair to make the dog hold it until I get home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,932 • Replies: 28
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:11 pm
You have been wronged. I would start screaming. Nothing causes motivation like a woman's scream.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:13 pm
poor puppy. that is indeed not fair and also disrespectful. you made the rules clear and they were broken... i know the Ex is an Ex for a reason... but would he be open to a (firm) discussion? Can you set up some consequences for broken rules (for the Ex, too)?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:15 pm
Why couldnt EX let the dog out to pee?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:19 pm
The ex isn't allowed in my house(stuborn rule made by me when he walked out) And he is also not up for discussion(non-confrontational) and he could care less how I feel.

My head hurts.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:27 pm
I guess you will have to resort to old fashioned discipline, Marty. Take away the kid's skateboard for a week. Or, better yet, his computer.

You owe me nothing for this advice.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 09:37 pm
Thanks gus, I owe you one!

Kids are grounded.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm
but isn't this largely his fault? wasn't he supposed to wait until they go home by bus and let the dog out instead of picking them up from school? if so, he should be grounded, not the kids....

(how old are they?)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
14 and 16,

I think I'm crabby because I've been working extra hours to cover someone who's out from surgery.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:33 pm
well...14 and 16 are also old enough to be able to tell dad "No, I first have to stop off at home"....
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:01 pm
We sat down at the kitchen table and had a family meeting to come up with a better plan.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:58 pm
what did the offspring suggest?

for the record, you sound like a really cool mom. if they don't shape up i'll come be their nanny.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 07:35 am
[quote="dagmaraka"]if they don't shape up i'll come be their nanny.[/quote]

That should do it!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:01 am
Well, my son thinks it would be better if he had his chores written down and posted on his bedroom door. My daughter said if I assigned her certain things that she'll make sure she gets them done.

I feel badly because my little rant had more to do with my frustration about my ex's constant lack of respect for me.
Quote:
for the record, you sound like a really cool mom.

Thanks, and they're pretty cool kids.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:04 am
Marty, have you seen these. A friend of mine has one and the kids love it. The whole family communicates on it and you can't miss it because everyone eats:

Fridge Door Chalkboard
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 10:42 am
Marty--

Not only is your Ex an Ex for good reason, he's not going to change. His convenience comes before your wishes or the dog's bladder.

If your kids were younger, I'd hesitate to put them in the middle.

Decide the hill you're going to die on. I'd pass up battles on visitation day about room cleaning and other household chores. The dog's bladder is worth fighting for.

If they have to learn to be responsible without paternal backing (for important things) then they'll just have to tell Good Time Daddy, "First we have to...."
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:12 am
Agree with Noddy. The responsibility has to be with the kids, they are old enough, and the Ex is, well, in his own world. The kids came up with good ideas (although Mr. Son can surely write a list of chores assigned to him on a piece of paper and stick it on his door if that helps him, you shouldn't have to do this for him). The chalkboard sounds like a good idea, too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:17 am
Since son was the one who said he needed reminders posted on his door, it sounds to me like he may have just forgotten the dog was home with no one to let them out.

Makes me wonder how a note on his bedroom door was supposed to help him remember something when he's getting in the car at school.

Maybe you need to pin a note to his shirt. :wink:

I don't know about your daughter, but I think maybe she realized her error more than your son.

The next time one of them has to go to the bathroom, I'd tell them they have to wait a half and hour before they go. Maybe one of them needs to know what it feels like. The dog had to wait a lot longer than that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
I do think it is some what your ex's fault, however, your children are old enough to understand the rules. Also it doesn't appear you will be able to change your ex's ways. In this case, your children are going to have to be more responsible.

What do you think of this? Sit them down and explain how breaking the rules caused a problem. Dog nearly burst his kidney, after working your butt off all day, you had to come home and clean everything. Also, explain even though dad came to get them early, they need to explain to dad that they can't leave with him until they finish what is expected. Dad could drive them home, wait in the car until they finish their chores. Then tell them what will happen next time if they don't complete their chores - make it good too. If you do decide to punish them now, don't make it as harsh as if they do it again - since you are now setting the clear rules.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:56 pm
Re: my kids and chores
martybarker wrote:
How would you handle this....

My kids had early dismissal today and I worked. On the ex's weeknight to have the kids he has them after school til 8pm. This is the evening I'm usually on-call and working late, so the instructions are that the kids take the bus home, let the dog out and then go with dad.

Today, I emailed the ex that the kids needed to do a few chores before going to his house since they get home early. I also told the kids, and the chores are not extensive. I got home after work and the grocery store to find no chores were done. As a matter of fact, the ex picked my son up at school and never came by the house.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, I can't take care of two kids and the entire house by myself. They just don't get it! And it's unfair to make the dog hold it until I get home.

Perhaps I'm missing a backstory here but while everyone else is busy jumping on the ex I've got a few questions on your original post.

You said you emailed your ex. Do you know that he got the email? Did he respond to it?

Also, you mention that you "told the kids" that there were chores to be done and then mention that your ex picked up the son directly from shcool - so that explains the son not doing his chores. But you make no mention of the ex picking up the daughter directly from school. What was her reason for not doing any of the chores (like letting the dog out)?
0 Replies