Why Ignore Zimbabwe?

Quincy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:24 pm
Why is the situation in Zimbabwe largely ignored by the rest of the world? Zimbabwe is probably the worst country in the world right now. Gross human rights infringements, inflation at over 80 000% according to a recent news report, widespread starvation....
Just google Zimbabwe and see what comes up. Wikipedia says inflation is "over 11000%" unofficially, but truely, it is actually over 80 000%.
More attention is paid to the Middle East, Chad, Sudan, Kenya (at the moment), but very, very little to Zimbabwe- Why?
They talk of tens of thousands leaving Chad- millions have left Zimbabwe in the past few years. Most of them come to South Africa illegally, and we don't like it. (Oh c'mon, we all hate illegal aliens ). And they contribute to crime, over-population, and poverty (by taking away informal work from South Africans).
No one really knows how bad the situation is because Mugabe has such a tight grip on the media.

EDIT: did I mention- Zimbabweans are the unhappiest nation on Earth, and why not? They have a life expectancy of under 40, or 45, or some such figure.
Bush said he bombed his way throught the Middle East to fight terrorists and Saddam the Dictator- why is the American government so quiet on the greatest dictator of our time- Mugabe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,528 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
A piercing, penetrating , pertinent post to ponder over.
Let those who waste a lot of money to usharp the power to uphold human rights, annihilation of powerty and make the globe a congenial one should explain the hypocracy which you had exposed with a very few words.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:43 pm
Forgive me for not being so plainly erudite as yourself- could you put that into English, or would that detract from the awe surrounding the large-word complex?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 02:46 pm
Re: Why Ignore Zimbabwe?
Quincy wrote:

Bush said he bombed his way throught the Middle East to fight terrorists and Saddam the Dictator- why is the American government so quiet on the greatest dictator of our time- Mugabe?

Mugabe does not have access to billions of dollars in oil. That is why.
Bush did nothing to "save the world" and everything to pad his pocket.

As for the rest of your post..
I am clueless... I had no idea that Zimbabwe was in such a bad condition.
I am off to do some research, though I doubt that will result in any answers or solutions..
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 03:43 pm
Quincy
If my English is somewhat quixotic or mysterious I feel sorry that I speak a different language.
I do admit and uphold your above critical post.
When you find some time please peruse this link.
Thank you

A month of fear and violence following the disputed presidential election has left tens of thousands of
Kenyans homeless, displaced and traumatised.

http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/democracy_power/africa/kenya_photo_essay
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
Re: Why Ignore Zimbabwe?
Quincy wrote:
Why is the situation in Zimbabwe largely ignored by the rest of the world?

Because people dont tend to look beyond the borders of what they personally experience the impact of and where the interests of their country lie... what can one say?

Quincy wrote:
More attention is paid to the Middle East, Chad, Sudan, Kenya (at the moment), but very, very little to Zimbabwe- Why?

I wouldnt say more attention is paid to Chad or Kenya - not much at all attention is paid to them either. Zimbabwe at least gets a lot of media coverage in the UK. What the Middle East has over black Africa? Strategic location, natural resources, and a myriad of extremist groups that are willing and possibly able to attack the West... again, what can one say.

I was in Zimbabwe in 1990... just for a month, travelling around. I was a teenager still. Even then there was hunger in the West of the country, in Ndebeleland; the daily newspapers openly wrote about it. But Harare was a pretty prosperous city, to African standards; the one city it reminded me most of was El Paso, Tx., for some reason. And in general the Zimbabweans we talked with seemed content enough. And very, very friendly. I cant imagine what it must be like now.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:53 pm
This short report from Zimbabwe is good and evocative -- and even in the face of the seriousness of the situation there's a wrily funny anecdote at the end.

It's from a blog by the McClatchy newspapers that seems very good, Somewhere in Africa.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:57 pm
There was one relatively long-running thread on Zimbabwe here earlier, it was a good one:

Mugabeast
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:28 pm
So, as Mugabe has again decided not to be sent away by the voters, and as his police, army and party thugs roam the country, taking opposition activists to torture camps and beating up people who'd dared to celebrate after the elections, China decided to sell his regime a boat full of arms.

And the South Africa of Mbeki's ANC, stubbornly holding on to regarding Mugabe in the first place as the fellow liberator he once was rather than as the cynical dictator he's long become, had no problem letting this shipment be unloaded in Cape Town and transported to Zimbabwe.

But ordinary South Africans got in the way. Union activism took the lead, and the arms ship eventually turned around:

Quote:
Zimbabwe: Unions Mobilize to Stop Weapons

allAfrica.com
21 April 2008

(..) The An Yue Jiang left its anchorage outside the South African port of Durban on Friday after a court granted church activists a temporary order preventing the weapons from being shipped to Zimbabwe overland through South Africa. Beeld reported last week that the ship's cargo included three million rounds of small arms ammunition, 3,500 mortars and mortar tubes and 1,500 rocket propelled grenades.

Sprite Zungu, a representative of the International Transport Workers' Federation, told Agence France-Presse in Durban on Monday that the body was attempting to prevent dockers elsewhere in the continent from unloading the cargo.

"I am still seeking tangible information on the destination of the ship," Zungu told AFP. "As soon as I get the exact information... I will travel to the country and ensure I mobilize workers not to offload it... Our objective is to mobilize and organize unions in Africa to take a firm stand and try to stop the ship from offloading these dangerous weapons which could be used to kill Zimbabweans."

Quote:
NY Times report on Zimbabwe:

(..) Earlier on Thursday, a Chinese ship carrying armaments made by a Chinese state-owned company and bound for Zimbabwe headed back to China without unloading its cargo of bullets and mortar bombs, a spokeswoman for China's foreign ministry confirmed at a briefing Thursday.

"The Chinese company has already decided to send the military goods back to China in the same vessel, the An Yue Jiang," the spokeswoman, Jiang Yu, said.

The arms shipment has been a particularly contentious issue in Africa and abroad because of widespread concerns about politically-motivated violence in the wake of disputed elections in Zimbabwe last month.

China's decision to turn the ship around was welcomed by the dock workers, trade unionists, religious leaders, Western diplomats and human rights workers who have been campaigning since last week to block delivery of the weapons to Zimbabwe.

They had said the weaponry could be used to carry out an even more violent crackdown on Zimbabwe's political opposition, which is allied with the country's unionized workers.

"This is a great victory for the trade union movement in particular and civil society in general in putting its foot down and saying we will not allow weapons that could be used to kill and maim our fellow workers and Zimbabweans to be transported across South Africa," said Patrick Craven, spokesman for the Congress of South African Trade Unions, which represents 1.9 million South African workers. China's strategic retreat in delivering the weapons also allows it to avoid Zimbabwe-related protests over its human rights record before it hosts the Olympic Games this summer. The months leading to the games have already been marked by anti-China protests over its suppression of protesters in Tibet and its supply of arms to the government of Sudan.

0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:32 pm
Let us use our ignorance to uphold this kind of hypocracy
in the name of corporate sponsored democracy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:41 pm
What do you suggest we do though, specifically?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:44 pm
A real, radical, human CHANGE.

Rama
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:08 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
A real, radical, human CHANGE.

What do you suggest we DO though, specifically?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
my above response is a quick one to uphold my views.
I am not a Judge nor I wish to qualify myself
to be the judge of other's view.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:37 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I am not a Judge nor I wish to qualify myself
to be the judge of other's view.

I did not ask you to judge anyone else's views.

I asked you what you would suggest we could do, specifically, about "this kind of hypocracy" in Zimbabwe.

What kind of action do you suggest?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:44 pm
You could ask Mr Obama and his opponents what they thought of Mr Mugabe's Independence Day speech.

That's where I would start.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:47 pm
Ptetending you have an angle on the end game without bothering about the intermediate steps is a sure fire way of making sure the end game never arrives.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:54 pm
spendius wrote:
You could ask Mr Obama and his opponents what they thought of Mr Mugabe's Independence Day speech.

That's where I would start.

Good idea. This might be useful for American citizens (who are voters, after all), in particular.

Let Obama, and Hillary, and John McCain know that you care about what's happening in Zimbabwe. That you want to know what they think of it, and that you want to know what they propose to do as President to help bring about change in Zimbabwe.

Yes, it's a drop in the ocean. But politicians are more likely to push for issues that they feel many of their voters care about than for issues that nobody ever writes or calls them about.

Dont expect a personalised reply or anything, but maybe if they get lots of messages about this subject, at least it will get through that people care, and they'd better come up with something about it.

The Obama campaign site has a special function called MyPolicy: send it your idea!

MyPolicy: What do you think?

Quote:
The best, most comprehensive plan for change in our country will include your ideas and your feedback. America needs a president with a mandate from the people, and everyone deserves a voice in shaping our next president's agenda.

Take a moment to share your ideas. Over the coming months the best ideas will be featured and incorporated into the campaign's policy proposals. Be as broad or specific as you want.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:00 pm
If only you could trust it eh?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:16 pm
nimh wrote:
Good idea. This might be useful for American citizens (who are voters, after all), in particular.

Let Obama, and Hillary, and John McCain know that you care about what's happening in Zimbabwe. That you want to know what they think of it, and that you want to know what they propose to do as President to help bring about change in Zimbabwe.

Yes, it's a drop in the ocean. But politicians are more likely to push for issues that they feel many of their voters care about than for issues that nobody ever writes or calls them about.

Dont expect a personalised reply or anything, but maybe if they get lots of messages about this subject, at least it will get through that people care, and they'd better come up with something about it.

John McCain 2008 - Contact form
0 Replies