Reasons why it is GOOD to have many kids...

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 11:31 pm
Please feel free to add your own reasons... in no particular order

- No headache where to find a nanny or babysitter, how much to pay, how to make a background/criminal check.

- The kids get hands-on lessons on cooperation, on dealing with older and younger people.

- when they grow up, they have less stress of finding a job since so many relatives create a safety net of potential jobs

- they can have a family business which is almost always more loyal

- less problems/anxiety in school since there's always an older one to get comfort from, or the younger one to look after

- emotional support net throughout life

- the mother is not as exhausted as it may seem from the outside because there are always older helpers looking after the younger siblings

- loads of friends right in your home

- fun for the kids!

- help with homework
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 52
No top replies

redpickle

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 11:46 pm
- A wall full of family portraits and bigger family portraits and bigger yet...

- what is loneliness? what is depression? not here!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:14 am
What planet are you from?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:24 am
Thanks Chai, you took the words right out of my mouth!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 06:30 am
Dad used to say it is cheaper to raise your help than hire it out.

47 years,10 kids and 5 college tuitions later I think he may have realized he was wrong.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:30 pm
Hey, this is a thread for PRO reasons. CONs are right there at the surface of our pessimistic minds, aren't they? "Poor me, the financial strain is unbearable..." That's not a secret.

It's also not a secret that your financial situation is far from financial paradise, whether you have 1, 2 or 3 kids.

Anyway, back to the reasons.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:36 pm
- I read somewhere: "One child takes 100% of your time anyway. More of them can't take more than 100% of your time."

- Having many children relieves you from neurotic half-paralized state of fear for your offspring. Kids grow up more independent, relieved from the suffocating blankets of unnecessarily extreme protection.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:38 pm
I have three. Love them dearly. Don't want another.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm
I have two. If I started earlier, I'd have more.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:44 pm
- in a family with many kids, many of the problem topics of this forum would not have existed. Many topics here are born out of the child being the only kid, or with a large age gap sibling.

- there would be no time for sitting typing on the computer to start with..... Laughing
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:03 pm
There are more intangible pluses (emotional, mental, developmental health, robuster characters) that I'm trying to stress... Not same old, same old - money...
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:04 pm
squinney wrote:
Dad used to say it is cheaper to raise your help than hire it out.

47 years,10 kids and 5 college tuitions later I think he may have realized he was wrong.

Um, you are one of a fighter, squinney, and carry a load other people would crush under. I wonder, what is your character result of...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 02:31 pm
Okay. I see where you're goin'... Um, er, Okay, so having a lot of siblings did have positives.

Dad never did really know who backed the truck into the side of the barn.

And, the forts we could build... Man!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
I remember the L____ family. There were 17 children all spawned and birthed in a 20 year period.

Debbie was in my grade. She had two dresses, one for church and one very tattered and bedraggled dress for school. It had been handed down from her next older sister and was washed only over weekends so that it would last.

One Monday Debbie came to school in high excitement. A stranger passing by had seen all of the kids in the yard in their church clothes. He asked "Was it a party?" and was told, "No, this was just the family."

Then the stranger went and bought two gallons of ice cream and Debbi was allowed to have as much chocolate ice cream as she wanted.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 05:50 pm
Re: Reasons why it is GOOD to have many kids...
redpickle wrote:
Please feel free to add your own reasons... in no particular order

- No headache where to find a nanny or babysitter, how much to pay, how to make a background/criminal check.

- The kids get hands-on lessons on cooperation, on dealing with older and younger people.

- when they grow up, they have less stress of finding a job since so many relatives create a safety net of potential jobs

- they can have a family business which is almost always more loyal

- less problems/anxiety in school since there's always an older one to get comfort from, or the younger one to look after

- emotional support net throughout life

- the mother is not as exhausted as it may seem from the outside because there are always older helpers looking after the younger siblings

- loads of friends right in your home

- fun for the kids!

- help with homework

- A wall full of family portraits and bigger family portraits and bigger yet...

- what is loneliness? what is depression? not here!

In your first 2 posts you state all this as a given.

I don't care if a person has a lot of children or not (if they can support them and care for them), but to say that someone can't be lonely, depressed, will have a secure family business, and never be jobless is ridiculous. That goes for any of your other assertions.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:54 am
I am sure there are positives to having many children, but yours (most of them) just don't hold in the real world.

I have one, and that's enough!
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:12 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I remember the L____ family. There were 17 children all spawned and birthed in a 20 year period.

Debbie was in my grade. She had two dresses, one for church and one very tattered and bedraggled dress for school. It had been handed down from her next older sister and was washed only over weekends so that it would last.

One Monday Debbie came to school in high excitement. A stranger passing by had seen all of the kids in the yard in their church clothes. He asked "Was it a party?" and was told, "No, this was just the family."

Then the stranger went and bought two gallons of ice cream and Debbi was allowed to have as much chocolate ice cream as she wanted.

..The story continues: Debbie's grown up, has a family, lives her life (whether rich or poor). Some of her siblings live nearby, some dispersed elsewhere.

Debbie has had her share of bad life events: one of her brothers died, her mother gets older and weaker, one of her children her child got in with a bad bunch.

She has had comfort of her living siblings through the death of her brother. They as a family will always find a place for their mother, the nursing home is out of question. There are several different countries/cities she can send her troubled son to get away from the bad crowd, and a couple of brothers have businesses where the boy can get a job and get a footing.

Debbie's classmates, Clara and Richard, who used to have plenty of clothes, had one and none siblings respectively. When Clara's brother tragically died, she felt overwhelmingly alone in the world, and her mother who started having Alzeimers were a crushing responsibility. Her mother had to go to a sub-standard nursing home where she eventually died.

Richard was the only child and got the best education. As the only child, though, he got used to the world revolving around him. He had hard time holding jobs where there is subordination. He is p**d off at the world and thinks it unfair.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:13 pm
Bohne wrote:
I am sure there are positives to having many children, but yours (most of them) just don't hold in the real world.

I have one, and that's enough!

Fine.
0 Replies

redpickle

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:16 pm
Re: Reasons why it is GOOD to have many kids...
Chai wrote:
but to say that someone can't be lonely, depressed, will have a secure family business, and never be jobless is ridiculous. That goes for any of your other assertions.

The likelihood of this things happening to a person with many siblings is much higher than to a person with none or one sibling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 07:24 pm
You've got a phenomenal imagination, redpickle.
0 Replies