Tax on Soft Drinks

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 11:19 pm
Has anyone else heard about the possible tax on beverages with high fructose corn syrup? I have seen this in a few different places and I think it's a bit drastic! IMO it's not a matter of regulation or taxation but a personal responsibility to consume what works for each individual. The article has a lot of good info especially where it says that high fructose corn syrup is no worse than regular table sugar. It really makes you think!

Foolish Food Fads
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 909 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:14 am
Honestly.

No one needs sweet drinks--whether they are sweetened with corn syrup or cane sugar or honey from pedigreed bees.

Cigarettes and liquor are subject to sin taxes--why not sweet drinks?
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:44 pm
You're right, no one really does need sweet drinks. It's not like water or milk or fruit juices. But I wouldn't put beverages with high fructose corn syrup in the same category as cigarettes and liquor. I like to drink soda every once in a while and as I mentioned, it's about moderation. I personally do not believe that hfcs is to blame for obesity, which the article mentions is the reason for the possible ban. There are many factors which come into play and it's important to be aware of them all and change our lifestyles accordingly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:45 pm
HFCS is evil.

~~~

I generally support taxes on junk food. We've had them here for a number of years. Food, no tax. Junk food, tax. Yup, like it.

~~~

HFCS is evil. I check labels carefully to try to avoid it. Pure evil.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:03 am
Yellow Rosebud--

Soft drinks have been implicated in obesity.

Could you possibly be a astro-turf lobbyist for the soft drink industry? A number of your posts have shown a commercial bias.
0 Replies

YellowRosebud

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:08 pm
I just know that I can't completely cut certain foods out of my diet. I do much better when I allow myself to eat small portions of things I love. I'd be a disaster without my weekly chocolate chip cookie.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:22 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Honestly.

No one needs sweet drinks--whether they are sweetened with corn syrup or cane sugar or honey from pedigreed bees.

Cigarettes and liquor are subject to sin taxes--why not sweet drinks?

Noddy,

Sweet drinks contain sugar. Your body runs on sugar. Without sugar, you die.

Of course you can get sugar from other sources than sweet drinks, but there is no single food that contains a nutrient that can't be got from somewhere else.

If you are ever stranded on a desert island... sweet drinks will keep you alive longer than water (and sweet drinks even contain water). You can't say that about either alcohol or cigarettes (although high calorie alcoholic drinks like beer have similar benefits to sweet drinks).

Food should not be taxed.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
YellowRosebud wrote:
You're right, no one really does need sweet drinks. It's not like water or milk or fruit juices.

You don't "need" milk or fruit juices either. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
EBrown--

The rules for Desert Island Survival are different from the Rules for Groceries on a Tight Budget.

Long live complex carbohydrates!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 04:16 pm
Sure.... my point is that when it comes to the appropriateness of a "sin" tax there is a substantial difference between food (even junk food like sweet drinks) and true vices like cigarettes and booze.

I think the desert island test (i.e. it is better than nothing) is relevant.

((perhaps I should have made that a dessert island))
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 06:56 am
Ebrown--

Moderation in all things, including sugary drinks.

Meanwhile, I knows sin when I sees it and I'd like to tax sin when I see it.
0 Replies