What is the Optimum Tax Rate?

real life

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ideally it would be the same for everyone. Graduated taxes suck (the incentive out).

I think a Flat tax (same low rate for everyone, no deductions ) is the best solution.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 04:21 pm
hanno wrote:
parados wrote:
hanno wrote:
parados wrote:

Since the GDP includes all goods and services already then what could be provided that isn't a good or service? Nothing that I can see.

Final goods and services for the GDP my dear. Intermediate goods and services, most of which you need a hardhat to see, make 45% of the gross output, so, not quite two hits.

What, pray tell, are "intermediate goods and services"? Unless you are trying to count the parts required to make products as a separate taxable event there is no such thing as "intermediate goods and services."

Ah, I see, I must have hallucinated the concept and the wikipedia article on it.
From wiki
Quote:
Thus, intermediate consumption is an accounting flow which consists of the total monetary value of goods and services consumed or used up as inputs in production by enterprises, including raw materials, services and various other operating expenses.
Read wiki compared to my statement. Taxing the "intermediate goods" adds to the overall cost of the product as I said.

Quote:

parados wrote:

Companies don't as a rule sell products they are losing 45% on.

More like 90%. You think they just spontaneously generate a product and sell it?
If companies are losing 90% on the product they are selling then I don't see how any company can stay in business let alone pay dividends. "Cost of business" is not the same as "loss." Companies pass the cost of production on to the consumer. If you tax the production that cost will also be passed on to the consumer. Your 6% tax is really a 12% tax and still won't cover the costs of government.
Quote:

parados wrote:

If you want to do a tax on all steps of production then your final tax rate is a far cry from the 6% you think is enough. The tax would only get added to the final cost and be paid for by the consumer. If I need 2 wookies at $1 to make a widget that I sell at $4 the production that counts for the GDP is $4. If you want to count the two wookies and tax them at 6% then that means I need to charge $4.12 and the customer now pays $4.36 with tax instead of the $4.24. It's no longer a 6% tax. But then if the wookies require a dohinky that costs .50 there would be tax on that as well so my wookies would now cost me $1.03. Then the tax on anything required to make the dohinky and so on and so on. Pretty soon the consumer is paying close to 12% taxation which isn't a 6% tax rate at all.

If you knew what you were talking about you could use pre-existing words.
That's nice.

Your 6% tax rate is still garbage.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:32 am
If it were up to me I'd tax Parados at 100% and not pay anything myself.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:02 am
cjhsa wrote:
If it were up to me I'd tax Parados at 100% and not pay anything myself.

Of course you would because as a "patriot" you know that it is your sworn duty to not support the US at all.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 09:40 am
No because I just think it would be funny.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:18 pm
Did I hear Ron Paul say he would abolish the income tax completely?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:37 am
Yes you did Okie. He would instead tax things such as groceries, health care, childerns clothes and other low incomes commodities so that the poor would start paying their fair share.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:28 am
rabel22 wrote:
Yes you did Okie. He would instead tax things such as groceries, health care, childerns clothes and other low incomes commodities so that the poor would start paying their fair share.

What a crock (the poster). My income is shifted over to these poor folks whose Daddy really needed a condom, not cash, and yet they should pay no tax because they are poor?

****, a 22LR only costs about 3-cents.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:57 am
cjhsa wrote:
rabel22 wrote:

What a crock (the poster). My income is shifted over to these poor folks whose Daddy really needed a condom, not cash, and yet they should pay no tax because they are poor?

****, a 22LR only costs about 3-cents.

People in my area have become poor due to industry flight. But you evidently feel that they should pay more tax, and that Paris Hilton and Teresa Heinz should get refunds.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 11:10 am
If you use it ill be willing to pay for the shell.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
Advocate wrote:

People in my area have become poor due to industry flight. But you evidently feel that they should pay more tax, and that Paris Hilton and Teresa Heinz should get refunds.

Perhaps those folks should take clue from Paris and go where the money is.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 12:29 pm
rabel22 wrote:

Is that the National Sales Tax , or so-called 'Fair Tax' that you are referring to?
0 Replies