Marriages that successfully survived cheating?

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
Hello,
So many people say they would leave if their spouse cheated on them. I would have said the same thing before it happen to me. I now believe you do not know what you will do until you are confronted with the situation. Everyone's journey is your own. No one can tell you what path to take or how it will turn out. This you must discover on your own.

People are so quick to say "Once a cheater always a cheater" or "How could you stay? Your deserve better then that.". The horror stories that resulted in ended marriages. People that tried to stay but could not make it work but there was too much damage.

What want to hear, I need to hear, is from people that have faced cheating in their marriage and have survived. Also, ones that not only survived but now their marriage is even better now. Please share.

I need to surround myself with hope.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 894 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hellokittygirl777

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:00 pm
If you read my original post.....recently married and need some help, you will see that I have gone through it myself.

As for an update, we are doing well, working through things day by day. Its been a hard path to go down and every now and then I start to wonder because it was with his ex that he has a child to.....but I am being strong and working this through.

Stay strong!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:02 pm
Not sure if what I have to say will help, buy one never knows and so I will share. My mother had an affair many years ago. She and my father had been married about 14 years or so at the time (I was 13). Dad found out about the affair when my mother's story for being out one evening didn't hold water. Anyway, as you can imagine, my siblings and I were pretty upset as mom moved out of the house (kicked out would be more like it I guess).

Now I cannot give you the details on why they made the decision to reconcile after a couple months since they obviously did not share their thinking with us kids, but I think they both realized that they still loved each other. I think mom knew she had made a mistake and was truly sorry for it. Long story short, they stayed together and this year will celebrate their 50th anniversary.

So yes, a marriage can survive infidelity. It takes some work (I know it did for my parents), but if both still love each other, the infidelity can be overcome.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Good luck and God bless.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 03:45 am
A lot of people cheat, and a lot of times the cheating does not negatively impact the marriage. The test is how do you both respond to the cheating? do you take it as proof that something has gone wrong and then become determined to work together towards a marriage that you both gain from? If not then it is a negative. The working towards a better future does not necessarily mean a future where you both get all you need from each other and include no one else, for some people the solution is an open marriage or swinging or some variation of these. However, for most I think the goal of both partners is to get to a place where both are happy and fulfilled enough inside the marriage to have no desire to look outside. Check out the local mega-book store or online, there are many books that will bring you comfort that your situation is not hopeless.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 04:48 am
In my current relationship I have no personal experiences to share.

However, a friend of mine cheated on her boyfriend, was even thinking of leaving him, but the other thing did not work out.
(Whatever I think of this behaviour is not asked here, so I won't go into it)

She finally confessed to him, which was probably a good thing, since the whole dive club she hangs out with knew about it, and sooner or later, he would have heard something I am sure.

However they worked through it, I do not know.
But they married soon after (that was about 14 months ago) and now have a set of two week old twins.

He even manages to be civil to her ex-lover.
Must be a hell of a man, and she is maybe luckier than she deserves, but they seem to make it work!
0 Replies