Why 7 days for Creation?

Ionus

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 03:57 pm
@rosborne979,
The first priests came into being when farmers could afford to support their worthless hides. They in turn were supposed to give information as to what the stars and heaven planned for the next season. It was a rort then, and it is a rort now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:02 pm
@spendius,
spendi, You do understand that the ten commandments of the old testament still applies to the new testament, right?

How come, then,
Quote:
You would be put to death for adultery and engaging in the occult. So why would God hand down a death sentence on these two crimes in particular? It doesn’t seem to line up with the "eye for eye" rule that He had going during this time.

Quote:
In the New Testament there is a verse that says that the wages of sin will lead to death!

But you can kill hundreds or thousands of other humans, then pray for forgiveness, and you shall live in heaven for eternity?

What a deal!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
Even as early as the Sumerians, nine had started to make inroads, with the main gods expanding from 7 to 9 for political reasons. But the number 7 remained the holy number in Hebrew, Christian and Islamic tradition, with 40 being the number that god issues when he tests people. 12 was god's organisational number for people. Nine was again popular when the egyptians and greeks formed holy trinities, as they then formed 3 groups of 3. By the middle ages, 9 was not sacred. Rebirth, as in the 9 lives of a cat, was the domain of the devil. 9 may well be magical but it most certainly is not a sacred number.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 05:08 pm
Do you guys not know yet that we are all nuts?

They should bring back hibernation. That's what I miss. Winter in a cotton wool cocoon snuggling up to Cal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 05:35 pm
@spendius,
Speak for yourself, spendi. Maybe those in your cloister are all nuts; don't judge everybody else from your limited POV.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 06:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Do you guys not know yet that we are all nuts?
Yes, I did know that.

Quote:
They should bring back hibernation.
I dont see any reason why you cant go sleep it off, or hibernate as you call it. We are all right behind you.
spendius

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 06:16 pm
@Ionus,
You will also need to do the same in order to prevent disturbances.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:44 pm
@Francis,
Waiting for substantive reply.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think Goldie has a much better grasp than you would like to give him/her credit for.
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
Au contraire. God's omnipotence necessitates neither omnipresence nor omniscience.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You would think someone would have printed a retraction by now.

Good to see you again, CI.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 07:54 pm
Why suddenly a resurrection of all these old topics?

Don't you know I am busy with eBay this time of the year?

Cyber Monday tomorrow
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:07 pm
@neologist,
I don't know how Goldie thinks, because I didn't read his/her post, so I can't give him/her any credit for the non-English post I saw.
neologist

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 10:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, but
How'r ya doin, ya old geezer?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:24 am
@neologist,
Still flapping my tongue (in cheek). How about you?
spendius

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 11:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's a bit of a cop out ci. falling back on that "I had my tounge in my cheek" trick. You can say anything you want with that as a fall back position.

Are you so frightened of losing an agument? Is your self-esteem that fragile?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 12:45 pm
@spendius,
Out of the thousands of a2k members, you're the only one who would arrive at such an asinine conclusion. My post was only meant to be light-hearted, and which you take too seriously.
spendius

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh ho! Fell right into it didn't you? How do you know I didn't have my tongue in my cheek? Cal said I had all the time. Is it your special preserve?

Not that I did mind you. The trick about having your tongue in your cheek depends on never admitting it.

You should get out of that cosy cocoon of your's in which you wallow in the fond belief that you can ignore the aesthetic, moral, spiritual, political, military and social implications of atheism and look at it from the point of view of science, or pseudo-science, exclusively, and even then ignore the utilty of religious beliefs from an economic point of view due to your incapacity to imagine that such a utility might exist.

You even see the education of 50 million kids with everything on ignore except your own atheism which has the wondrous advantage of you never been in the wrong because the premiss from which you start is the same as the conclusion you arrive at. It's called bigotry.

And when you have got your atheism into schools you'll be ignoring the role of reproduction in its sexual selection aspects and parading up and down with a placard in front of a school in which a gutsy atheist biology teacher makes those aspects, the seduction phase, as seen in many Attenborough programmes, the central plank of his/her course.

It's easy to see that an extremely oversimplified version, laughably oversimplified, of what takes place consequent on the "vinegar stroke" can be presented with slides and coloured diagrams in a clinical scientific fashion but the VS is conditioned on what happens before it and therefore the latter has intellectual priority. And is far more interesting and especially to classes of mixed 16 and 17 year olds.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Atheism has no position on
Quote:
the aesthetic, moral, spiritual, political, military and social implications
. Atheists have no organized group or positions on anything except our position on theism; there ain't no such thing as god(s). They are all figments of your imagination.
spendius

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 02:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
All the figments of my imagination were put in place by others. Just as your's were. But I have had a lot more conditioners than you have. Once you get stuck in a box you limit your own conditioners. What's the point of reading stuff that you already agree with. That's like preening in front of a mirror. Veblen turned me 180 degrees in one fell swoop. You daren't risk that.

I had Frank Harris at 18. My courtship displays were radically reoriented as a result. You probably read stuff that's been designed with great skill to chuck your ego under its big fat chin using ridiculous generalisations so that it chucks enough other chins to make publication profitable.

With Galileo mankind lost his position as the centre of the universe. With Darwin he lost his position as above the animals and with Freud and Pavlov he lost control of his mind. Are you up for teaching the latter two in science lessons?