editing of passage meant for Year 3 students

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 07:32 am
Hi

Could someone please edit this passage meant for Year 3 students for me? Many thanks.

I have two dogs. One of them is called Blackie. I gave him that name because he has black fur. It is a Jack Russell Terrier. It likes to play and run. Sometimes it will run by itself just to exercise. He has a big appetite and can eat quickly. This is because his teeth are big and sharp although he is a small dog. He likes to go after insects, including cockroaches, and lizards. That is why you cannot find any insects and lizards in my house.

The other dog is named Whity because she has white fur. She eats slowly because although her teeth are sharp, they are small. She takes a long time to eat the dry dog food given to her. However, she can eat soft food like bread more quickly than Blackie. In fact, she can eat a slice of bread faster than he.

Blackie and Whity are very friendly to each other. They often play together. They eat from the same plate.

I love them very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 701 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 08:25 am
Re: editing of passage meant for Year 3 students
I have two dogs. They are called Blackie and Whity because of the colours of their coats. (1) Blackie is a Jack Russell Terrier. He(2) likes to play and run. Sometimes he(2) will run by himself(2) just to exercise. He has a big appetite and can eat quickly. This is because his teeth are big and sharp although he is a small dog. He likes to go after insects, including cockroaches, and lizards. That is why you cannot find any insects or lizards in my house.

Whity(3) eats slowly because although her teeth are sharp, they are small. She takes a long time to eat the dry dog food given to her. However, she can eat soft food like bread more quickly than Blackie. In fact, she can eat a slice of bread faster than he.(4)

Blackie and Whity are very friendly to each other. They often play together and they eat from the same plate. I love them very much.

(1) I combined all the name/colour stuff into one sentence. Dogs don't have "fur", they have coats.

(2) Decide whether the dog is a "he" or "she", or an "it", and then stick to that. Don't keep changing. Using "he" or "she" is better in my opinion, particularly if the dog is your own beloved pet.

(3) You mentioned Blackie's breed, why not Whity's?

(4) Good.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:03 am
Thank you very much, indeed. Why are you so alert, whereas I'm so carelsss in mixing up the sex of my dogs, using he, she and it instead of being consistent? The only reason is I'm careless.

I always thought dogs have fur. You're the first person to tell me that they do not although I was taught that dogs have fur.

Many thanks, again.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:23 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
I always thought dogs have fur. You're the first person to tell me that they do not although I was taught that dogs have fur.

Well, they do have hairy stuff growing out of their skin, which sometimes looks like fur, (although not on a wire-haired terrier for example) but the convention is that they have "coats". Cats have fur, though.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
Hi Contrex

My male dog is a wire-haired Jack Russell terrier. Its coat has a lot of black and some white. Have you heard of such a Jack Russell terrier? In Singapore, all Jack Russell terriers are brown with white patches.

Sometimes I wonder whether mine is a mixed breed.

Another question: What criteria qualifies a dog as a pedegree? It is just that they are pure breed or must they have certificates to confirm they are genuine, not mixed breed? Do they have to have birth certiicates like we do?

I know this is off topic, but please oblige me with the information.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
Wikipedia is quite informative about that type of dog:

Quote:
The Jack Russell Terrier is a type of small, principally white-bodied, smooth or rough-coated terrier that has its origins in fox hunting. The name "Jack Russell" has been used to describe a wide array of small white terriers, but is now most commonly used to describe a working terrier.

The Jack Russell Terrier is not the same as a Parson Russell Terrier, which is a breed recently created by narrowing the Jack Russell standard. The Parson Russell Terrier is primarily a show dog, and is rarely found in the hunt field.

The Jack Russell Terrier is also not the same thing as an Australian Jack Russell Terrier or Russell Terrier, which are dogs first brought into the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) in 2000 and the United Kennel Club in 2001, and which are maintained under a different breed standard and described as having been developed in Australia out of dogs originating in England.

In all cases the working Jack Russell must be small enough to get up to its quarry, which is to say a Jack Russell's chest should be no larger than that of the animal it is pursuing. Red foxes vary in size, but across the world they average about 14 pounds in weight and have a chest size, on average of 12-14 inches in circumference when measured at the widest part of the chest. As Barry Jones, the founding Chairman of the National Working Terrier Federation noted in comments directed to those in the UK who were intent on pulling the Jack Russell Terrier into The Kennel Club as a Parson Russell Terrier:

The chest is, without doubt, the determining factor as to whether a terrier may follow its intended quarry underground. Too large and he/she is of little use for underground work, for no matter how determined the terrier may be, this physical setback will not be overcome in the nearly-tight situations it will encounter in working foxes. It may be thought the fox is a large animal - to the casual observer it would appear so. However, the bone structure of the fox is finer than that of a terrier, plus it has a loose-fitting, profuse pelt which lends itself to flexibility. I have not encountered a fox which could not be spanned at 14 inches circumference - this within a weight range of 10 lbs to 24 lbs, on average 300 foxes spanned a year. You may not wish to work your terrier. However, there is a Standard to be attained, and spannability is a must in the Parson Russell Terrier.

Jack Russell Terriers are predominantly white (more than 51%) with black, tan, or tricolor markings commonly found on the face and at the base of the tail. The skin and the undercoat to show a pattern of small black or brown spots, or freckles, that do not carry through to the outer coat.

Jack Russell Terriers have small V-shaped ears that should fold downward, and strong teeth with a scissor bite.

Jack Russell Terriers come in three coat types: smooth, broken, and rough. In all cases, the coat should be dense and not soft, feathery or linty. A smooth coated dog should be smooth coated all over, with a dense topcoat that is approximately 1cm long. A rough-coated dog should have a double coat with fur as much as 10cm long, and should be rough-coated over its entire body. A broken-coated dog is any dog with a topcoat of intermediate length, or a dog that is largely or partially smooth with longer hair on some parts of its body.

Jack Russell Terrier tails are straight, held high and upright. Traditionally, tails are docked to around five inches -- the length of a hand grip. It is not a serious fault to leave a tail a little long, but too short a tail creates a less useful dog in the field and a dog that looks poorly balanced.

Many dogs commonly referred to as "Jack Russells" have crooked or "benched" legs, resembling Queen Anne furniture. This is often a sign of Achondroplasia, and is a fault according to the breed standard.[2] A Jack Russell's forelegs should be strong and straight boned with joints in correct alignment, elbows hanging perpendicular to the body and working free of the sides. Hindquarters should be strong and muscular, well put together with good angulation and bend of stifle, giving plenty of drive and propulsion. Looking from behind, the hocks must be straight. Generally, a JRT should have a square appearance, with the body length in proportion to the height.

They are very brave

Quote:

On April 29th, 2007, a Jack Russell named George saved five children in New Zealand from an attack by two pit bulls. He was reported to have charged at them and held them at bay long enough for the kids to get away. He had to be put down due to injuries and was posthumously awarded a medal of bravery, normally reserved for humans, by the SPCA. A former US Marine also donated a Purple Heart award he received for service in Vietnam to George's owner.

There is a guide to the Breed Standard at:

http://jackrussellgb.co.uk/club_info/breed_standard.htm

I think that a dog is "pedigree" if

(1) it conforms to the breed standard

(2) it has documented breed standard ancestry over several generations. A pedigree is a dog's family tree. It lists the registered names of the dog's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents (etc.) of the dog - most printed pedigrees go to 4 or 5 generations. Other information may or may not be included, such as date of birth, colour, registration number, call name, or titles earned. Titles earned are almost always included - Championship, Sire or Dam of Merit, Obedience or Agility titles.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 05:51 pm
I appeciate very much the information you've provided.

Best regards.
0 Replies