What in the name of god happened to the hostess cupcake?

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:18 pm
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/5a/4/AAAAAjdO0i4AAAAAAFpHLQ.jpg

We've all eaten one of those over the years. I haven't had one in quite some time and bought one on impulse today (actually a whole box, which now resides at the bottom of my garbage can, all uneaten except for one partial)

Those things used to be good. The chocolate was quite delicious and the bread part moist and succulent. They melted in your mouth and filled you with an inner satisfaction.

Now, it's like eating an old sock with cooking chocolate smeared on the surface. And don't tell me it was because I happened to buy an old box that somehow managed to slip through the food police. I watched the guy put the box on the shelf. I checked the expiration date.

These things, like everything else in this country, are ****!

Where the hell can a guy buy a good cupcake? And restaurants! What happened to them? All of the old restaurants that were available for a quick bite and somewhat satisfactory meal for a reasonable price have now turned into institutions selling flavorless tripe. (Not that I've ever heard of flavorful tripe)

Now don't get me wrong. There are some fantastic restaurants out there with exceptional food, but you must be willing to pay, which I am to a certain degree, but not on a consistent basis. One would occasionally like a reasonably well-cooked and tasteful meal served in a timely manner and for a reasonable price.

But those restaurants appear to be gone. Either spend the money or eat tripe.

Or a cupcake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,957 • Replies: 88
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:31 pm
Amen, brother.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:35 pm
I agree that they suck. Maybe it's because we're getting old and our taste buds aren't as good as they used to be. I also checked the expiratio date on my last Hostess -- it was 9/2035. They may taste like **** but they'll never go bad!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:38 pm
Age has nothing to do with it, Nick. I've seen children grimace while biting the things.

And, yes, they would be suitable for bomb shelters.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:39 pm
(not the children -- the cupcakes)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:41 pm
That thing in the initial post - is it a hatbox? that would explain why it's not edible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:42 pm
I have recently discovered candy that has traditionally contained chocolate, and it still looks chocolaty, and almost tastes chocolaty, but, in fact, it is a sugary concoction, devoid of the real stuff. I believe it was a Butterfinger, one of the bite sizes, that first clued me. I read the label, simply because it tasted so bland.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:44 pm
ehBeth wrote:
That thing in the initial post - is it a hatbox? that would explain why it's not edible.

You might be on to something there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I have recently discovered candy that has traditionally contained chocolate, and it still looks chocolaty, and almost tastes chocolaty, but, in fact, it is a sugary concoction, devoid of the real stuff. I believe it was a Butterfinger, one of the bite sizes, that first clued me. I read the label, simply because it tasted so bland.

Where then, edgar, has the real chocolate gone?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:48 pm
Oh Yeah. They've totally ruined the Butterfingers with that cheap excuse for chocolate.

As far as places to eat... What ever happened to Nickerson Farms and Mel's Diner? Now that was good stuff.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:53 pm
Were those local, squinney? I've never heard of them. I am talking about restaurants like Perkins, Country Kitchen, Embers, etc.

They used to be tolerable, but now offer nothing.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:55 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Were those local, squinney? I've never heard of them. I am talking about restaurants like Perkins, Country Kitchen, Embers, etc.

They used to be tolerable, but now offer nothing.

Nickerson Farms was a mid-west kind of Perkins / Cracker Barrel. White with black shutters and a red roof. Always had a big wall of glass sith a bee hive in it so you could watch the honey being made. Best biscuits and gravy you could throw a lip over.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:56 pm
There was a bruhaha about six months ago about letting chocolate that had no cocoa butter in it (I forget what the substitute would be, something oleaginous) still be called chocolate. Never did find out what happened on that but I have my suspicions now. Bottom line every time..

Oh, there are a few good regular type restaurants out there. Hard to find a lot of the time.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:56 pm
I'm spoiled, Vancouver has tons of good to high-quality interesting restaurants that are quite fairly priced.

It's one of the very few "benefits" of the insanely massive immigration of the last 30 years.

Can't comment on cupcakes, except to say they are a popular euphemism for perky breasts. Now if gusta is saying that perky breasts are like eating an old sock, that is a sad state of affairs for him indeed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:57 pm
The real chocolate is at Tiffany's.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:00 pm
Chumly wrote:
Now if gusta is saying that perky breasts are like eating an old sock, then that is a sad state of affair for him indeed.

You're reaching, brother.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:02 pm
squinney wrote:
Nickerson Farms was a mid-west kind of Perkins / Cracker Barrel. White with black shutters and a red roof. Always had a big wall of glass sith a bee hive in it so you could watch the honey being made. Best biscuits and gravy you could throw a lip over.

So, they are now gone? I have traveled extensively in that area and still do not recall seeing one. Maybe I did, but just didn't pay attention because I wasn't thinking of food at the time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:05 pm
Squinney, while reading this, I am beginning to have recollections.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Now if gusta is saying that perky breasts are like eating an old sock, then that is a sad state of affair for him indeed.

You're reaching, brother.
I might assume you are not.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:16 pm
Chumly, what is the equivalent of Perkins in Vancouver?
0 Replies