Meaning of "shield" ...

fansy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:20 am
Moreover, Chinese adoption of carbon caps would apply to the whole economy and would be much more costly for China; an American carbon consumption permit system would shield the Chinese domestic sector.

How should I interpret the meaning of "shield" in the above context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 432 • Replies: 3
No top replies

username

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:42 am
It sounds like they're saying that some proposed American cap-and-trade system wouldn't impose the heavy costs on the Chinese domestic economy that the proposed Chinese system would, i.e would shield it from high expenses. I have no idea whether any of that is actually true or not, but that's probably what your sentence is saying. It might actually be true, since as far as I know there is NO American system in effect now, since George Bush has pig-headedly blocked just about any effort to counteract global change, so following our system isn't going to impose any costs on China, since we don't really have a system. If China is actually doing something about carbon emissions, more power to them'
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:57 am
Re: Meaning of "shield" ...
fansy wrote:
Moreover, Chinese adoption of carbon caps would apply to the whole economy and would be much more costly for China; an American carbon consumption permit system would shield the Chinese domestic sector.

How should I interpret the meaning of "shield" in the above context?

Protect.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 02:47 am
First answer, 124 words

Second answer, 1 word

Second answer correct

Smile
0 Replies