analyse a grammatical problem

fansy

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 09:41 pm
Discover a simple new explanation for gravity that shows it is neither Newton's "attracting force" nor Einstein's "warped space-time", and the moon's far-side surface gravity holds major surprises for us.

Is the part in bold still governed by "nor"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 555 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:35 am
No; the comma extricates it from that rather illogical possibility.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 03:01 am
The whole sentence seems to be a mess, both in scientific and grammatical terms.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:10 am
So, what do you think the author wants to say?
Now, I am confused. I'd like to know if you can figure out what the author actually means by using this flawed sentence.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:09 am
from www.thefinaltheory.com

Title: The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy
Subtitle: The Next Scientific Leap Forward

Quote:
paragraph 3 Discover a simple new explanation for gravity that shows it is neither Newton's "attracting force" nor Einstein's "warped space-time", and the moon's far-side surface gravity holds major surprises for us.

Maybe someone can help me reach the website or the author for an explanation of the grammar of the above quotation.

Thanks
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:23 pm
It seems to be a description of what you will find in Paragraph 3:

a simple new explanation of gravity that shows it is neither Newton's "attracting force" nor Einstein's "warped space-time",

and

(the fact that) the moon's far-side surface gravity holds major surprises for us.

Sometimes the Table of Contents of a book or paper will give descriptions like this. Nowadays it is mostly done in scientific works, but old novels sometimes had descriptions like "Chapter Three, in which the mystery is unveiled and we meet the unusual postman."
0 Replies