A Movie Scene Quiz

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 06:30 pm
I definitely remember the old Roxy Theater in Glendale (and it's still there!) I remember seeing what is one of my favorite Disney films, "Three Caballeros" and how I really loved film noir. When I first saw "Detour," I knew what a B picture was but saw how well it was done. Then the Whittier theater (now torn down -- even the little shops bordering including the record store where I had bought my first classical record, the Beethoven 3rd with Fritz Reiner conducting) which had just installed a CinemaScope screen. When Darryl Zanuck came on in that little square black-and-white screen to announce the film, "The Robe," and then the curtain began pulling back, pulling back, pulling back. I was completely amazed.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:08 pm
I love the Three Caballeros. Never saw it as a kid, but my kids have the tape. Great music. Bahia-ia!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:09 pm
....And whose illicit lover is it?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:14 pm
Aaah, LW. The Three Caballeros.
We're hapy amigos, no mater where he goes
The one two or three goes, we're always together.

Oh, we have the stars to guide us
Guitars here beside us
To play as we go.

We shout and we samba
We shout "aye caramba?
What means 'aye caramba"?
Oh, yes, I don't know.

And Oh, Baia ay and You Belong to My Heart, later popularized by Bing Crosby.

I, too, remember the first time I saw The Robe and the curtains. That was a thrill.
And, the first Cinerama (we paid big bucks to see that one) knocked me for a loop. I'll always remember that roller coaster ride. Laughing And the music that accompanied the scenes from the Alps.

Detour was Tom Neal and I understand it was later made with his son in the starring role, but I never saw that one.

Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake were popular in my day and I loved them together.

Thanks for the memories, Bree.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
Fealola, that what I'm wondering too. Is it the floozy friend's illicit lover or the lover of the party guest? And we can only assume the party guest is a female because the hint says:

Out on the lawn, when she pushed him away from her, repulsed by his kisses, that's when he knew.

Not Auntie Mame
Pretty Baby
Walk on the Wild Side
Gone with the Wind

and Kev guessed Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

And, BTW, I love comments by you guys. Keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:12 pm
Hmm. The GWTW guess was on my mind, similar scenes but not in order. Scarlett in the den, Rhett there too-- during a party, a party on the lawn! But that was before Scarlett beat on Rhett's chest before he ravished her!

I think we need a rephrasing of the original quote.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:16 pm
A floozy friend deposits her party guest in the den where an illicit lover awaits.

I think it's a trick question. (lol)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:17 pm
Ohhh, could be!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:19 pm
Could it be Mr. Skeffington?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:31 pm
Hi LibertyD. I never saw Mr. Skeffington all the way through. I hope you're right.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:49 pm
No to Mr. Skeffington. One more clue and then, I'll give you the answer if you want.
When the detectives searched the golf pro's apartment, they found arsenic and ladies jewelry in a small zippered travel bag.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:00 pm
Oh, that's so familiar, but I have to sign off now. I'm thinking about it. But, don't tell the answer yet, unless the other players really want you to.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:15 pm
Nite nite.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:49 am
It sounds like "Dead Ringer" with Bette Davis, but that one isn't an Oldie. It was made in 1964 and falls into the "inbetweener" category. (And "then he knew" made me think of twins.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:14 am
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess Jaws. I'm pretty sure I'm right
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:21 am
Double Indemnity
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Oh-oh. You got me raggedy. It is Dead Ringer and I completely forgot that it was made after 1960.
Damn. I feel terrible.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Aaah, that's OK, EOE. Don't feel terrible. We'll forgive you this time. Very Happy

Inbetweener

While she rinses her hands, arms, etc. with lemon at her kitchen sink to wash the smell of fish away, a man across the way watches her through her apartment window.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:00 pm
this is so familiar -- or- I read it in a book!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:22 pm
I don't think this one was based on a book, but I could be mistaken.
0 Replies