A Movie Scene Quiz

shekarpanir

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:15 am
great job!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:31 am
The discussion about understudies is now over on the Performing Arts forum: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66872
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
Thanks, mac! The Performing Arts forum could certainly use some beefing up - which is why I feel slightly guilty about posting this here, but I'm going to do so anyway because (a) I'm lazy, and (b) at least I know our friend Raggedy will be sure to see it here.

Last night, Phantom of the Opera became the longest-running show on Broadway. There's a nice article about the performance on Playbill's website, at http://www.playbill.com/news/article/97239.html. The article begins like this:

The mood inside Broadway's Majestic Theatre Jan. 9, when Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera became the longest-running show in the history of Broadway, was what you imagine it felt like when stages switched from gaslight to electric power 100 years ago: There was something more alive in the air. Packed with celebrities, members of the creative and producing teams, alumni from Broadway and U.S. touring casts, and supportive industry folk (plus 200 civilians who were winners of a Phantom contest cooked up by the producers), the Majestic was aglow like never before. Tuxes, glamorous attire, smart suits, and even some wearers of masks were seen throughout the house.

Lights came up on the Harold Prince production at 6:50 PM (20 minutes later than expected), and at the climax of the famous opening auction scene, when the Paris Opera's broken chandelier is illuminated with electric lights, the audience roared its approval.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 01:17 pm
Oooh. I LOVE it. And if I had been there I would have worn my Phantom of the Opera earrings (white masks) and pin (the rose and mask) that I purchased when I saw Phantom in Pittsburgh - can it be 12 years ago?) I would have taken my Phantom key chain, too. Very Happy

Thank you for posting that bree. I truly believe that some day you and Mac - and maybe Loislane - will change your opinion of the music , and lyrics, from Phantom. The movie is now playing on cable. I haven't told my daughter because she bought me the DVD for Christmas. The movie is one of the rare B'Way/London musical adaptations that is a real treat - even without Michael Crawford - or Antonio Banderas.

(I hadn't known that Steve Barton passed away. How sad. )

Hey Mac. Have you seen the movie yet?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:40 pm
Oh yes, I saw the movie. Didn't I post about it? Hmm, I'll look and see.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 02:54 pm
Well, according to Netflix, I saw it last summer. I have no idea why I never told you! I'm sure I intended to and never got around to it.

I really liked the girl (Emily Rossum?) and a lot of the scenery & costumes & just the look of the whole film. But (sorry!) I found the music as repetitious as ever. It was grand, but not very entertaining for me.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:42 am
Sorry you didn't find the Phantom of the Opera entertaining, Mac. That's three against one here now.

I wonder if anyone here enjoyed the movie.
0 Replies

Ritajam

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:20 am
Raggedy,
I love the Phanthom and I love the movie and the show.
I understand and recognize it's limitations but it's still stirring and I particularly enjoy the song: "Say You'll Love Me".
When I first heard it I didn't even know that it was part of the Phanthom.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:37 am
Ritajam. So great to see you again.

Thank you for your comments. I am not alone. Very Happy
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
I have never seen the musical version of Phantom. However, there was a dramatic version directed by Tony Richardson and shown in the United States as a television mini-series.

Richardson's version is extremely faithful to the original novel. I liked this version better than the other more famous movie adaptations.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
Did everyone see this thread about Phantom vs. Cats?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1783954#1783954

(Don't mind me, I'm just shilling for the Performing Arts Forum.)
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
Thanks, mac (you're a great shill)!

Not having seen either Phantom or Cats, I'm not planning to weigh in on that thread, but I'll watch it with interest.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:20 pm
If I may return for a moment to the subject of singers and amplification, I thought I'd report on a concert by Brian Stokes Mitchell that I went to last night. The concert was in a hall that probably holds about 500 people, and he was backed by a four-piece jazz band (piano, bass, drums, and assorted woodwinds), so naturally he used a microphone - until he got to the part where he sang "This Nearly Was Mine", from South Pacific.

After talking a bit about the song, he said, "This song was written in 1949, so I thought it would be fun to sing it the way they sang it in 1949 - I'm gonna do it unplugged". Then he moved the microphone out of the way, and proceeded to sing (and act) the most ravishingly beautiful version of "This Nearly Was Mine" you'll ever hear in your life. When he sang the final "Now, now I'm alone", he almost whispered the words - but his skill and artistry are so great, every word was audible. Magical.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
I just got goosebumps reading this, bree. Wonderful.

And that's a perfect example of what we've been saying all along here. True talent doesn't need amplification.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:16 pm
Wow, how wonderful! I'm glad you were there to hear the concert, bree.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
More shameless shilling for the Performing Arts forum. Check it out: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67293
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 02:34 pm
Just want to wish a Happy 80th Birthday to:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/graphics/2005/07/15/bfrank15red.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/102372.jpg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:57 pm
I can't believe that Ms. Shearer is 80. She's forever young to me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:58 pm
What did she shear?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:34 pm
Well Gus, it looks like Ms. Shearer missed you. There's still time though. Watch out.

Can't pass this guy by. His birthday would have been today.

http://www.bttw.co.uk/stills/images/2788.jpg

And in keeping with our novel to movie theme, if you take

three words from a Frank Sinatra movie

and a two word title of an Eric Roberts movie (changing one word from plural to singular)

you'll get a Cary Grant movie adapted from a novel and written for the screen by a famous playwright.
0 Replies