Ground Beef Turns Color Overnight

Nutrition

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 01:36 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Today, there are several methods for preserving colour and taste and looking of fresh meat, unfortunately in North America and some other countries they are using "NITRITE" salts for maintaining colour of fresh meat.
As you may heard this substances are preservative and can be used in cured meat such as saussages but there are some method such as "Packaging fresh meat with NITRITE containing film" !!!!!!!!!
you can visit this link:
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT NITRITE IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH beacuse it will convert to NITROSAMINE when it reaches to stomach and contact with stmach acid ....and NITROSAMINE can lead to CANCER

You can visit this page which is about NITRITE in processed meats:

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

... but as I mentioned above they are using NITRITE in fresh meat too which can increase the amount of daily consumption of NITRITE and may increase the rate of nitrosamine in our body and the risk for CANCER respectively.
0 Replies

PapaChef

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 04:52 pm
I'm curious as to how one can keep burger patties from turning grey overnight ? As the burgers turn overnight, the flavor isn't affected. I thought the greyness was a result of oxidation, but according to Tycoon, it's the redness thats from oxidation? Is there any way to keep the patties looking fresh and red overnight !?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:12 pm
@PapaChef,
I think the greyness is from oxidation. Sometimes grocery stores flip the clump of ground beef so that the grey doesn't show..
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
An a2ker, Setanta, refrigerator-ages beef on purpose for better flavor - I forget what cuts he uses.
0 Replies

fionntylor58

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 05:37 am
@tycoon,
You should know about all the important food appliances which they need. These appliances will help you to get successful in your food or meat safe. Because you will be dealing in perishable food items and you have to keep these food items in best form for a longer time period. So yes for this purpose you should prefer to have appropriate appliances that will help you to maintain the freshness of food.
0 Replies

1800autopsy

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 12:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
Ground beef by its very nature is a highly perishable product. Grinding introduces thousands of surfaces in which bacteria can flourish.
0 Replies