From the: "The cure is worse than the disease" desk...

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Prostate cancer treatment draws fire

Quote:

High-intensity focused ultrasound, or HIFU therapy, uses isolated bursts of near-boiling temperatures to attack cancerous tissues in the prostate through a rectal probe, The New York Times reported Friday.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 656 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:06 pm
DrewDad- Have you ever known someone who has had the "standard" cure? Let me tell you, from personal experience, that it ain't no fun. I am all for checking out the alternatives. The fact that the company is encouraging the FDA to check into the treatment is, IMO a sign that they are not selling "snake oil".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:30 pm
I actually have no idea if the treatment is effective, or if there is any pain involved.

The words "near-boiling temperatures" in the same sentence as "rectal probe" just made be blanch....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 01:40 pm
DrewDad- I certainly can appreciate your queasiness about the entire procedure. Treatment of prostate cancer is an art. How one goes about it has a lot to do with the stage where the disease is at.

At best, the doctors are taking educated guesses as to the extent of the disease. The more the severity of the malignancy, the more stringent the treatment. The more stringent the treatment, the more probability of untoward side effects. It is really a balancing act.
0 Replies