Side-effects may include

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 08:59 am
side-effects may include the usual run of the mill sorta stuff like dizziness or nausea or death.

If the quitting treatment makes you want to kill yourself, why not just keep on smoking?

Pfizer said on Friday that it has beefed up its warning on Chantix, a popular anti-smoking treatment, to include language cautioning users about the potential for depression and suicidal behavior. The pharmaceutical maker has recently come under pressure from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as patients have reported erratic behavior and mood disorders while taking Chantix. The FDA is currently reviewing the drug's safety.

The new label includes a warning that patients who are attempting to quit smoking by taking Chantix should be observed by a physician for serious neuropsychiatric symptoms like changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation and suicidal behavior. Pfizer noted that a causal relationship between Chantix and those neuropsychiatric symptoms has not been established. However, in some instances a relationship could not be ruled out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,040 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 09:01 am
Another reason that I'm glad that I'm one of the people who gave up the three packs a day habit before they had all of these meds.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:02 am
3 Packs a DAY? Shocked

I'm curious ehbeth, that's about 1 cig every 15 minutes for 16 hours a day.

I know people used to smoke in the workplace, etc. but when did you find time to eat, bath, work with something that involved both hands for an extended period of time, etc?

Also, I know you love good food, could you even taste it?

I've heard other people say they smoked this much, but ususally someone on TV, so I couldn't ask how they managed their lives.

Did you feel like it ruled your every waking moment?
Serious inquiry.

----

re the chantix....my husband quit smoking, but then he'll become overwhelmed, and start doing 2 or 3 smokes a day....stop again...repeat....right now he's in a period where he'll go outside, take 2-3 puffs, save for later...but all day long, so it's 3 or so cigs a day.

Doesn't sound like much, but he's just teasing himself.

He actually went and got some chantix, but hasn't used it yet. It's been sitting in a drawer for 2 months.

I have to think about this.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:10 am
All these meds to quit smoking freak me out after a good friend of mine almost died, and did indeed lose part of one of her feet due to complications from one of them.
She was on morphine and incredibly depressed for over a year simply trying to deal with the whole thing.

She got a blood clot in her leg. Horrible ordeal. People don't think of these things often as "It could happen to me" y'know?!

It was one of those meds that docs would pass out for any old thing: feeling depressed? wanna quit smoking? Yeah, one that was also used as an anti-depressant. Won't name names. They are all **** to me when handed out without taking the full person into account, as was done with her (she was high risk! What was the doc and also, of course, her thinking!)

Anyhow. When I hear of people taking drugs to quit smoking it makes me sick. How is that for blunt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:13 am
I didn't have to worry about eating as my heaviest smoking co-incided with a time in my life where I literally had three things to eat all day. I allowed myself 3 of the following each day - 1 yogurt, 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of corn, 1 apple, 1 serving of oatmeal. Eating didn't interfere with smoking. I could still drink lots and lots of tea while smoking.

I was a serious chain-smoker. I'd pride myself on only using 2 or 3 matches a day to get through those ciggies. I'd occasionally discover I had 2 ciggies on the go at the same time. Definitely two ashtrays on the desk. The cigarettes came along when I went to the washroom.

Oddly, I'd say, I smoked almost exclusively at work. If you never take the cigarette out of your mouth, you can get a lot of keyboarding done. Barely smoked outside of work hours. So I didn't feel like it controlled anything. I decided when and where I'd smoke.
0 Replies