How to decide what field you should go in?

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:24 pm
I like to challenge myself, I like solving problems I love the pursuit of knowledge.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
Thats awesome.
I wish i could do that hehe
0 Replies

max

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:30 pm
You are in Little Rock. Hmmmmm. Sozobe is right. There are basics you have to take. But an excellent college that has music courses in production is not far from you. Go online and find Belmont College in Nashville TN. It has wonderful courses and many of the graduates go directly into the music business. I can think of five ol buddies of mine that graduated from there. Belmont will send you a catalog.
BTW---->I majored in Political Science ......and now work on and off in publicity! Go figure! But I am so glad I have my degree....
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:34 pm
I wont be in litte rock for long. Im leaving after this school year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:51 pm
Tyrius, I know a lot of people who have had several careers, including myself. I think it is a good idea to have a basic college education, taking the general courses that are offered in the first two years at university (or a two year college for an Associate degree) and then going ahead in a major of your choice (or perhaps tech school). It is true that it adds more time to school if you switch majors in college after the first two years (I did). You can also switch when you continue to grad school, if you choose that. Sometimes people don't learn about fields they may like until years later. I know many people who have switched fields in their forties and even fifties. Even people who liked their original fields can want to try something new. Then it is handy to have a basic degree, so that you have a good educational background as a foundation for whatever new thing you want to try. Even if you end up finding a career that really doesn't require a college background, the knowledge you gain can give you a good life-background.

I majored in Bacteriology. A decade later I studied art at a university extension school for four years after work. A decade after that I studied landscape architecture, which I never heard of when I was in college.
Instead of being a waste, the science background helps me analyze situations and make judgements in the landscape architecture field, and the art background really helps me to design, plus I am an artist. It all works together. I am only sorry I never took economics or more history....

I say relax too, and enjoy all you learn. Much of school is really about learning how to learn; at best it helps you form a mental structure in your mind - your own mind becomes a great resource.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:55 pm
Wow thanks alot you guys. Certainly learned alot.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:08 pm
I agree, if you have not noticed I am 1 of those ppl who likes change so I learn about everything do you still want that email?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:35 pm
Umm no thanks. Ill just have a chat with my counselour
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
Right, Tyrus. Mull it over but don't begin to worry about it at all. There's just too much time to change your mind between now and then. By the way, my sister did two years of college as a language major, looked into the future, and graduaded with a BS in Math. She did remarkably well.

Unless you are a fairly unique school system, you may well be disappointed in what the counseling department may have to offer. Give it a shot and hope for a pleasant surprise.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 04:06 pm
Oh yeah - to toss in my 2 Cents

What you study now might (and probably will) lead to other things. What I do now (database analysis) didn't exist when I was in college. Tech moves very, very quickly and things change all the time. But a basic education does you good forever.

Let's see, hmm -

I started as a Bio major (thought I'd go into research), then was a Math major (thought I'd teach High School), then got my BA in Philosophy. Went to Law School and practiced law for a few years. Hated it and quit. Became a claims adjuster, then a legal auditor. Studied databases and became a business analyst, then a quality assurance tester, then a database analyst. Currently I work here at A2K, and I do a bunch of things, including tech support and promotions. Looking to get into becoming a DBA.

All this and I'm only 40 - I'll probably have another 20 - 25 years in the work force - I wonder what the heck I'll be doing by the time I retire. I suspect it'll be something that currently doesn't exist.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:08 pm
Check out the recording studios in Little Rock and ask someone there what they would recommend. Here's one I found online:

http://www.doghouse1.com/

With a local place like that, you might have a better chance of not only talking to someone, but taking a look at the place etc. It's worth a try! Smile
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 05:19 pm
Cool thx for the link. Ill probably go next weekend.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 09:05 pm
CURIOSITY, CURIOSITY, CURIOSITY!!
Curiosity got the better of me: A search on Google for "college degree music production and engineering" (no quotes) came up with about 145,000 sites. Many of the blurbs look promising - i.e., with the info you are interested in. Lots of college names in the URLs. Good wishes!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=college+degree+music+production+and+engineering&btnG=Google+Search
[/color]
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:25 pm
Thanks alot
this place looks pretty cool
http://www.iprschool.com/
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:35 pm
Tyrius, one thing about thinking about it this early on is that you can find out if there are any classes you can take that would help you for college entry-
language, algebra, etc and you can develop your high school classes to assist you more in your road to college.
Also, you can find out from your councellor if there are any groups/organizations in your area which might help you out with some part time position, or a summer program that could give you a better idea of what you were getting into, it could only help in your decision later on.
Many people go to college for one thing and end up switching, or even making a living doing something else, dont fret a great deal about it but, do put as much effort and thought in it as you can without stressing yourself.
My godson had the same problems and wasnt sure where he wanted to go, he finally went to a 2 year school and got all of his mandatory college classes out of the way while taking his electives in the different areas he enjoyed. He worked for the college radio and tv station and that experience had him change from a possible graphic designer to broadcasting/engineering direction. Hes going to CT School of Broadcasting this year, and he has his associates to boot. All things can change but, he's got a good footing under him and an better idea of what/where to go from here.
Maybe your high school has a radio or tv station? Or a local community college? Even if you cant get in with them right away they could give you some good pointers certainly.
Good luck.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:58 pm
Thanks alot. I just moved and will be moving after this year so where ever i got next we will be staying definately and i could look around there. I got an appointment for the counselor today and im talking to her during my study hall period so i think im getting off on the right foot. Im not stressed at all just wanting to know a little more about the whole process.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:03 pm
Good for you.
When's the Homecoming game and dance?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 08:45 pm
I might play up in homecoming game this year (im on jr high team) homecoming is in late december or early januarary cant remember. Excuse my spelling please
0 Replies