How to decide what field you should go in?

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 09:24 am
Hi im rather young and im in high school and i know i should know what im going to be before i enter college (or else id be wasting cash on something i wont be doing). So therefore i was wondering how does one know how to pick a career. I've always liked the arts so i was thinking a Music Producer or an IT career but not sure about pay and other factors.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,883 • Replies: 37
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:34 am
Tyrius, most colleges allow you to take some general classes before declaring a major, or allow you to switch... I started out as an art major, switched over to English, and then got my graduate degree in Deaf Education.

I think there is some danger in deciding what you want to do so early on, unless it is something you feel strongly about. My husband has always, always loved physics, and just went on that track all the way through. But I know other people who were on one specific track from early on, then realized that it wasn't the track they wanted to be on, at a point that it was much harder to switch (like Junior year of college.)

It's definitely good to think about this, but if you don't necessarily have strong feelings about it, I wouldn't worry too terribly much just yet. Keep thinking about it, keep gathering info, that's all good, but you can still experiment with lots of different kinds of classes, see where aptitude and interest coincide.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:57 am
Sozobe's got it, Tyrius. I remember being amazed at the programs offered in college that I had no idea even existed until I got there. You'll have to take some of the the same basics for any degree, so take some time before declaring a major.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 11:57 am
Oh i guess my information was wrong then. My Brother (sophmore) said i should decide early. I really really really love music and always have to i guess ill follow that path. What would you major in for producing??
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
Maybe you should think along the lines of a technical college instead of a academic school. I think DeVry may even have courses in music production and engineering.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:30 pm
I can ask a buddy of mine he want to college for a DJ and music production so he would know. you gotta go into a area of work ou are happy doing or it won't last sounds like your on the right track.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:50 pm
eoe wrote:
Maybe you should think along the lines of a technical college instead of a academic school. I think DeVry may even have courses in music production and engineering.

Hmm
Ive heard their degrees arent respected or something like that
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:51 pm
safecracker wrote:
I can ask a buddy of mine he want to college for a DJ and music production so he would know. you gotta go into a area of work ou are happy doing or it won't last sounds like your on the right track.

Thanks that would be very much appreciated. (that didnt sound right did it?)
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:53 pm
I would talk to the admissions counsellor at the college of your choice about music production. I would imagine that a degree in music, itself, would have aspects of production in it -- but don't take my word for it...talk to a counsellor. Also, talk to friends or aquaintences who are musicians or involved with production and find out what they are doing or did.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 01:07 pm
I'm a musician but have no clue about production but that reminded me my bro in law has released 3 CD's and has been on much music (canadian version of MTV) as well as a friend of mine who is a professional Rob Williams aka Kid Rock lol thanks for reminding me but Robs on tour I think.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 01:43 pm
Will a high school counselour work???

Thats the problem i dont know any one that would know something like that.

Maybe ill send Pharell Williams a Letter Smile .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:08 pm
Absolutely talk to your counselor. That's what they're there for.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:08 pm
Ill do that tomorrow. I just emailed about 5 producers and sound engineers about it. I dont expect a reply but im hoping for the best.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:10 pm
Keep hope alive. You just never know.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:15 pm
I sec I'll find my bro in laws email see if he knows
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:15 pm
Tyrius, I just saw in another post that you're about to start 9th grade... it's really really good to think about this stuff, honestly, but don't feel you have to make any decisions at this point. You can change a lot in 4 years, especially the four years of high school.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:19 pm
Oh. Tyrius, if you're only starting high school, relax and enjoy it. There's no urgency just yet to make a decision such as this one. Unless there is something that you are passionate about doing, there's a very real possibility that you will change your mind several times before deciding on a career. Don't put that kind of pressure on yourself so soon.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:20 pm
haha ya I went from wanting to be a fitness trainer to locksmith and everything in between.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:22 pm
Well i was talking to my brother about it and he got me thinking i guess. Im not making a descicion now just want to get advice on how to approach it later. I figured get the info now and set a goal.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 02:23 pm
Locksmith..... how'd you come up with that one Laughing
0 Replies