Do first impressions really count??!?!

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:08 am
Have you ever had your eye on someone you think could be interesting... then actually talk to them only to find out aren't?

Yes well it seems to be happening to me quite a lot. Its like, yeh... first few conversations are tolerable, polite, neutral. Then a few weeks later...theres nothing to talk to them about because the start showing their true personality.

I once met a guy, cute, charming and tolerable....only to find myself talking to him two weeks later talking about lego, halo 3 and the "pirates of the caribbean"....NOTE that i have nothing against people who like these things, just simply making my point.

I want to know what you guys think...Do first impressions count? does going back for seconds have a more lasting effect? I mean what would the world truly be like if everyone was to be themselves 24/7? especially upon meeting new people. What are you like when meeting a prospective new friend? or a new partner? How do you know when to back off from some one u've just met that just doesnt seem right for you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 906 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:23 am
Have you considered the possibility that maybe it is the second impressions that you are getting wrong?

Maybe if you weren't so quick to "back off" from someone after the second impression didn't meet your expectations, you might end up with more meaningful relationships.

It is the third impressions that are the most important.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:37 am
ebrown_p- I dunno. I think that sometimes you need to listen to (if not completely act upon) your first impressions. I think, that if a person's emotional "antenna" is fine tuned, he/she often will observe things at a first meeting, that is uncolored by any emotional involvement. Once a relationship develops, often a "halo effect"* kicks in, and certain negative qualities are ignored or sidelined.

From my experience, one needs to really get to know a person, before one can make a reasonable evaluation of him. But I also think that it is important to remember what one has observed about the person from that first meeting.

I am thinking about my two husbands. I think that I had both of them "pegged" on the first date, although subsequent emotional involvement caused me later to disregard certain aspects of their personality. In the case of the first Mr. P, that disregard caused me to become involved in an awful marriage.

Quote:
*halo effect
n.
An effect whereby the perception of positive qualities in one thing or part gives rise to the perception of similar qualities in related things or in the whole.

Kweenflipsta75- In the answer to your original question, I think that first imprressions DO count, but must be taken in context with what a person learns about another subsequently. Therefore, I could not answer your poll.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:57 am
Maybe its you thats the problem Kweenflipsta75. maybe its you who are boring.
0 Replies

Kweenflipsta75

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:59 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Maybe if you weren't so quick to "back off" from someone after the second impression didn't meet your expectations, you might end up with more meaningful relationships.

It is the third impressions that are the most important.

Ok I think I might be getting what you're saying here but heres one... When is is safe to say you gotta 'back off'? when can you confidently say that "nope, this just aint working"
I mean obviously if the person in question clearly had a split personality then yes by all means back off.... but in terms of the normal average joe...?
0 Replies

Kweenflipsta75

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:05 am
dadpad wrote:

HAHA! believe me i've pondered down that path before.... but eventually came to the conclusion that everyone has different definitions of boring ( in terms of people around them)... to me it simply is a question of whether or not two people share the same interests. If one is interested in chess...the other interested in fashion they could easily find each other boring after a while right?!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:26 am
Pheonix,

Kween didn't say she was looking for a husband... if this were the case I disagree with you even more strongly than before.

A first impression may be a good way to judge a one night stand... but a marriage?

It seems logical to me to have a long relationship on which to judge a potential spouse. My rule of thumb would be the that relationships with deeper levels of commitment require more time before a decision is made about whether to enter them.

Kween,

My point was that if you cut off a friendship based on a quick judgement, you could be missing out. My advice is to open yourself up to friendships with different types of people.

This advice also goes with dating (as your post implies). Going out (or is it "hanging" out now? (manI am getting old)) doesn't need to mean any kind of serious commitment. Especially if you are young you should be careful not to get into a rut where you only interact with people who are just like you.

One question that may be relevant here... have you ever tried Halo 3?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:26 am
I also think that there is a big difference is what you look for in a friend, as opposed to what you look for in a romantic partner. As my mother used to say, "You can't have everything in everybody".

For a friend, you might find someone with whom you "connect" on one level, but not on others. One person may be the one with whom you discuss deep philosophical subjects. Another may be one that you want to be with, when you just want to be silly. And yet another may be a person who shares a particular hobby. With friends, it is not necessary that you mesh on all levels.

With romantic encounters, with an eye to possible long term relationships, the scenario changes. Here, you need to find a person with whom you connect on many levels, who shares the same life vision as you, and has similar values.
0 Replies

Ragatode

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 08:35 am
dadpad wrote:
Boring? Sif. Kweenflipsta75 is probably one of the least boring people I know IRL.

First impressions are good.
Second impressions are what makes it last.

Hell if I know anyways since I've never even been in a relationship before. Wtf am I doing on this forum?? Confused
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
I say taste all the wines several times before buying the bottle.

To cut someone "off" because of a first or even second impression, is limiting oneself.

Don't be so judgemental and so quick to come to conclusions. And be more casual, too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 09:02 am
I do believe that first impressions count but remember what Chris Rock says...When you first meet someone you're not really meeting them. You're meeting their representative.
0 Replies

nose

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm
In about 90% of cases,first impressions does not matter.People are always conscious of the fact that they are been watched when they are in a new environment or circle and so tend to behave. and the fact that theywant to create an image that can be appreciated makes it the more so.
As such it is always better to allow time to pass ,watching closely the commitment level before forming an impression of the other.
0 Replies