take Monday 9off)

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:22 am
Christmas falls on Saturday, which is our day off, so we are entitled to take Monday (off) in lieu.

Is 'off' required?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 490 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:43 am
It is not required, but it is not forbidden either. The sentence becomes more formal if you (1) use "rest day" instead of "day off", and (2) omit the word "off" where you have shown it in parentheses. However, I don't think "in lieu" is the right phrase to use. We say that a day off on a normal working day, given to someone because they have worked on one of their rest days, is "in lieu" of that rest day.

A working day off awarded because Christmas falls on Saturday is an extra break, and is not in lieu (in place) of anything.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:37 pm
Thanks, Contrex.

I agree with your comments.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:09 pm
Christmas falls on Saturday so we are entitled to take Monday off as the holiday.

"Which is our day off" would probably only be used if someone works a schedule that isn't Monday through Friday.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
How about . . .

Since Christmas falls on Saturday this year, Monday will be considered the holiday vacation day.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:38 pm
Thanks Sullyfish and Parados.
0 Replies