My little politics blog

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:04 pm
@sozobe,
I remember that and I remember it being in this thread. Let me see if I can find it.
sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:04 pm
@sozobe,
I can't find that original photo back (the one where they're both laughing), but here's some backstory:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/30/AR2008033002401_pf.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:05 pm
@FreeDuck,
I think it was further back than that -- an exchange with Lash.

If you find it though, cool!
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:08 pm
@sozobe,
I found this one:

http://able2know.org/topic/110334-9#post-3077010
sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:09 pm
@FreeDuck,
Oh yay!

That's not the original, but I referred back to it. Thanks!!

So one-two:

http://dailyrepublic.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/19/obama_ready_to_ko_mccain.jpg
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/02/09/PH2006020900520.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:12 am
Andrew Sullivan's "The Twelve Odd Lies of Sarah Palin"

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/the-twelve-odd.html

<singing> And a polar bear on an ice floe...
sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:40 pm
@sozobe,
Now that I (and five others!) have a REAL politics blog, I've been posting stuff there that I'd usually post here. So for anyone who's interested, here's my account of the Bruce Springsteen concert/ get out the vote rally that happened in Columbus on Sunday.

http://observationalism.com/2008/10/06/notes-from-a-battleground-state-bruuuuuuuce/
revel

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:16 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe

I really wanted to post you a PM, but it seems we don't have that feature here anymore. But I read sometime yesterday (maybe last night or early this morning) that you are deaf and it just blew me away. I have always admired you in reading some of things you do and accomplish compaigning but this just doubles it. I am not deaf but I do have a 75% hearing loss. I didn't used to watch too much TV either until I started watching closed caption for the hearing impaired. I can remember when I was young my sister would get awfully tired of being a narrator doing all the movies and cartoons, but she did it just the same.

Anyway, didn't mean to embarrass you, which is why I wanted to PM, but I just wanted to say something about it.
sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:21 am
@revel,
Hey revel,

I didn't know you had a hearing loss, too! Interesting. Do you wear hearing aids?

Yes, I looooooove captions. I'm pretty lucky -- I lost my hearing just as assistive technology really took off. (I became deaf in the late 80's.) Between captions and email, things are way easier now than even 20 years ago.
revel

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 09:37 am
@sozobe,
I saw your picture and OBill's post on the site you provided. You sure get around.

I have had two sets of hearing aides in my life, the first set my husband lost when he wore em' hunting deer, I lied about it to my parents big time and just said I lost them and I didn't know where. It was before we were married, I have known my husband since I was 12 years old. Anyway, I felt so guilty, they scarified because at that time they were really expensive. The next time, my husband brought them for me and I lost them too some where in the couch. Tore it apart looking for them but never did find them. Truth to tell, the noise always interfered too much with them for me to be able distinguish speech very well which has always been my main problem; I seem to hear noise just fine.

But yea, the internet and closed caption makes a world of difference for the deaf and the hearing impaired. Anyway, you keep on going, you are an inspiration. I'll stop now before you get sick. Wink Plus been sitting here too long, gotta get up and do something else.
sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
@revel,
Yeah, I know what you mean about noise vs. useful noise... that's part of why I don't wear hearing aids, either.

If you can afford them though (and I know that's a big if!) there have been really big strides in hearing aid technology and might really help you if you tried one of the more recent versions.

I have about a 120 db loss (or about 120% Smile) and I'm open to trying the next generation of hearing aids, myself -- friends of mine (who also have severe hearing loss) have said great things about them.

Not sure which picture you mean -- a picture OF me or the pictures that I took that were in my "Bruuuuuuce" post at Observationalism.com? I'm not sure there are any pictures of me extant but I'm probably overlooking something...!
revel

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:33 pm
@sozobe,
I didn't mean to turn this thread into something personal, but anyway, about your picture; I guess I misunderstood from the link you provided in Occum (?spell)Bill's post. I thought he meant to say you were at the concert close to the stage.

I mentioned it on another thread but my doctor put me on a new medication for headaches and it has been keeping me up. I have been on a buzz sleepless for days now and I guess it is starting to show more than usual.

Are you kind of scared because Obama is doing well in the polls thinking something is going to happen right before the election? I have to admit I am more comfortable when it is closer.
0 Replies