My little politics blog

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:36 pm
Hi Swimpy!

This is nothing special in and of itself but I'm putting it here as an example of something I see fairly often but is supposedly rare -- the "objective" news article that is pro-Hillary and anti-Obama. Here's an excerpt from it:

Quote:
Some pundits scratched their heads when Obama was trailing Clinton among black voters. (He recently pulled even or ahead.) But it made perfect sense.

Clinton had a track record of working for African-Americans' interests. Obama was not just skirting controversies such as the "Jena Six" - the black Louisiana teen-agers punished disproportionately last year for their role in a racial fracas - but was aiming his appeals squarely at the white Iowans who he knew could make him the front-runner.

None of this is to minimise the barriers that Obama has faced and still faces because of his race.

So, how is that parenthetical ("he recently pulled even or ahead" -- try WAY ahead) explained by the rest? Did they discover his record (working for disenfranchised black voters and as a community organizer in black communities, for example)?

Or, could they have always been willing to support him while being wary of his ability to win -- which would fit perfectly with his surge in support among black voters and the timing of it?

Then there's this:

Quote:
Throughout, his voice and cadences suggested that he had studied Martin Luther King Jr.'s register and rhythms, the better to subtly evoke liberalism's great lost moment of revolutionary achievement and unfulfilled promise.

How very calculating! Couldn't it be that the speech of both is influenced by black churches?

It's from an African newspaper but by an American writer.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200801161049.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 04:59 pm
This is cool:

Quote:
In 1985, according to The Nation magazine, Obama, after graduating with a degree in political science from Columbia University in New York City, became an organizer for the Developing Communities Project to help black people in Chicago's far south side whose lives had been upended because of the steel mill closings. He was just 24 then, made $13,000 a year, and trolled around the area in a second-hand Honda Civic getting congregations involved in transforming their neighborhoods.

"Over the past five years, I've often had a difficult time explaining my profession to folks," Obama wrote in 1990 in Illinois Issues, a publication out of Springfield, Ill. "Typical is a remark a public school administrative aide made to me one bleak January morning, while I waited to deliver some flyers to a group of confused and angry parents who had discovered the presence of asbestos in their school.

"'Listen, Obama,'" she began. "'You're a bright young man, Obama. You went to college, didn't you?'

"I nodded.

"'I just cannot understand why a bright young man like you would go to college, get that degree and become a community organizer.'

"Why's that?

"'Cause the pay is low, the hours is long, and don't nobody appreciate you." She shook her head in puzzlement as she wandered back to attend to her duties.

"I've thought back on that conversation more than once during the time I've organized with the Developing Communities Project, based in Chicago's far south side. Unfortunately, the answers that come to mind haven't been as simple as her question. Probably the shortest one is this: It needs to be done, and not enough folks are doing it."

The article that quoted that section goes on to say:

Quote:

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/sayitloud/weathersbee116
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
By the way, that African article isn't meant to make a case -- too obscure -- but I do want to note that right now it's the first non-book result for "Obama" in a Google search. (It's the first news item, and the news items [3] appear before everything else.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:40 am
sozobe wrote:
sozobe wrote:
An "open letter" in response:

Actually I'm not sure if it's in response to Cohen or in response to "Obama is a Muslim"-type emails. The latter might be more likely.

It is a great letter and I thank them for it. But, also keep in mind the last sentence of their letter and this tidbit I found on their website about the history of their group:

1999: In honor of Rabbi David Saperstein's 25th anniversary with the RAC, President Bill Clinton gives the keynote address at a tribute to Saperstein during the RAC's Consultation on Conscience.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:11 am
sozobe wrote:
By the way, that African article isn't meant to make a case -- too obscure -- but I do want to note that right now it's the first non-book result for "Obama" in a Google search. (It's the first news item, and the news items [3] appear before everything else.)

FYI, that author, David Greenberg is also the one that wrote the article: "Why Obamamania? Because He Runs as The Great White Hope. Why All the Mania? He's Running as the Great White Hope."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:26 am
bookmarking
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
Thanks for the additional info, Butrflynet, interesting.

Hi msolga!

Haven't read this yet, bet I'll like it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/andrew_sullivan/article3137473.ece

It's a column by Andrew Sullivan called "Obama emerges as a liberal Reagan who can reunite America."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:30 am
I read it, (Sullivan's column) about what I expected but good.

Quote:
A Barack Obama sticker decorates the bumper of Helen Quarles's car. It fit neatly over the Hillary Clinton decal Quarles, a retired auto worker from McCormick, South Carolina, displayed until recently.

:-)

From "Obama's Surging Black Support May Tilt South Carolina Primary":

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6aWZAnp5M08&refer=home
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
Spare thought -- putting it here rather than elsewhere because it's more of a "Hmm, maybe, let me write that down before I forget it" thought than a "YES, that's it!" thought...

I do think that there was at least a little intentionality from Hillary's campaign to the whole race thing that happened. The Meet the Press appearance, especially, but lots of elements. I've kept trying to think of why they would purposely do that, if so. Lots of plausible possibilities.

But one thing I just thought of. It's long been suspected that if Obama did well in Iowa and/ or NH, that would go a long way towards energizing the black voters, such as the voters who are set to make a big difference (one way or another) in South Carolina. Obama did well in Iowa. The polls started showing the shift in SC.

Then the race thing. And what I keep seeing is that people are framing the change in SC in terms of annoyance with the Clintons, solidarity with Obama, etc. The polls seemed to indicate that the change predated that, and it might not even be because of that.

It occurred to me that it would allow Hillary to brush off a loss in SC as an unfortunate result of that unfortunate race row that wasn't even her fault, WHILE scoring long-term points by making Obama the black candidate, bouyed by black voters, and scaring off some white votes. And very handily shunting aside the inspirational, WOW aspect of an Obama win in SC. Just the race card, that's all.

I didn't get that out totally the way I wanted to and it wasn't a fully-formed thought in the first place, so I'm not necessarily standing by any of the above. Just a thought that I'd like to come back to later.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:26 pm
Huckabee's a goof:

http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2008/01/huckabee_equates_homosexuality_with_bestiality.php
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:45 pm
"The Obama of 'Dreams'"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603446.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The "third-culture kid" stuff is interesting. I think it's some of what I was talking about in terms of how I identify with him because of my experience as both Deaf and "hearing." Hadn't seen that term before.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:30 pm
bookmarking... hadnt seen this yet
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
Playing to win, by hilzoy (who, judging by his avatar, may be fishin' -- fishin', that you? ;-))

http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian_wings/2008/01/playing-to-win.html

This is an interesting one, hard to summarize. I agree with a lot of it, but it's one that falls into the category of haven't yet had time to read it thoroughly and critically so I don't necessarily stand behind it as "what he says, I think." Very interesting though. Here's the end:

Quote:
I take it it goes without saying that all of this is unfair. While I think that a number of criticisms of the Clintons, and perhaps a few attacks as well, might have been warranted, I don't think it was the least bit fair that they were subjected to either the amount or the kind of vilification that they received. And everything I've said above is true precisely because Hillary Clinton was vilified. It's because of that fact that many people are inclined to believe the worst of her reflexively. And it's also because of that fact that Democrats are inclined to react to attacks on her defensively and angrily.

But fairness isn't the point when it comes to nominating a candidate for the Presidency. No one is entitled to be the Democratic nominee, and all sorts of people have lost their chance to be nominated unfairly. It's unfair that Chris Dodd and Bill Richardson had to go up against one of the strongest Democratic fields in living memory. It's unfair that Paul Tsongas looked like a dweeb. It's unfair that Richard Nixon's five o'clock shadow played any role at all in the 1960 election, hard as I find it to regret its effects. I could go on and on, and that's without getting into all the people who didn't even bother to run, or for that matter to enter politics, for unfair reasons.

If we want to, we could take this opportunity to redress the injustices done to Hillary Clinton. Personally, I'd rather win, and win in a way that makes it harder for those kinds of injustices to be perpetrated on anyone in the future.

I keep coming back to this one and wondering if blatham has seen it and what his take on it is. Are you out there, bernie?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
sozobe wrote:
"The Obama of 'Dreams'"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603446.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The "third-culture kid" stuff is interesting. I think it's some of what I was talking about in terms of how I identify with him because of my experience as both Deaf and "hearing." Hadn't seen that term before.

That is pretty familiar to me, within my family. Liked the article.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:43 pm
bm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:22 pm
Your niece, Osso?

Hi Bill!

This is just plain a plonk.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200801170010?f=h_latest
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:25 pm
Another plonk (closing windows)

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/17/clinton-edwards-campaigns-blast-radio-ads-backing-obama/

Burton's response worries me a bit -- he has a point or two, but Edwards decried the 527 ads that attacked Hillary and Obama in Iowa. Burton's response doesn't seem to be saying "that's unfortunate, we'll ask them to stop." He does say "discourages," I guess, but that's not very strong.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:23 am
sozobe wrote:
It occurred to me that it would allow Hillary to brush off a loss in SC as an unfortunate result of that unfortunate race row that wasn't even her fault, WHILE scoring long-term points by making Obama the black candidate, bouyed by black voters, and scaring off some white votes. And very handily shunting aside the inspirational, WOW aspect of an Obama win in SC. Just the race card, that's all.

Another way to put it:

Quote:
Okay, let him carry South Carolina, as long as he is tagged with Afrocentrism.

http://cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/why-the-clintons-play-the-race-card706/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:28 am
Really, really good Op-Ed by David Brooks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/opinion/18brooks.html

It's depressing in a few ways, but I really agree with him.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:31 am
Its kinda like a cricket match.

It goes on and on and on, is a boring as hell unless your really into it, and you don't know who is winning until it is nearly all over.
0 Replies