I forgot how be single

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:52 pm
So I'm recently single.

I'm trying to cope, and be social, but I'm having a hard time. I have been trying to get out of my place but I don't know what to do. My social life used to revolve around her friends.

Also, how long should I wait before dating again? I'm afraid to hurt her feelings if I start dating too soon. We broke up on good terms, and we are trying to be friends.

To top that, I'm moving 1000mi in 4 months and so I know I can't even get involved in a serious relationship.

Am I doomed to just be lonely for the next 4+ months? Is the desire to have companionship irrational? How do I move on?

I have so many more questions, but I'm too exhausted to ask right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,808 • Replies: 33
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:51 pm
Your blinking avatar is really annoying, sorry to say!

So, you're lamenting about 4 months? Is that it? Other people manage
to live alone for years, and are quite happy with that arrangement.

If YOU cannot be with yourself for 4 months, what makes you think
anyone else can?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:58 pm
Don't worry about hurting her feelings. There's no timeframe you should wait. Don't "try" to remain friends, meaning it's not worth putting any effort into whatever kind of friendship can remain or develop.

You need to get out and socialize even if it means going out alone. Check out bars with live music, go walk around busy areas, and most importantly, approach & talk to as many people as possible. Don't think about, or even care about the possible outcome. Just socialize.

Do something for your self-esteem. Get a new hairstyle, some cool clothes, improve something so you feel better about yourself.

Obviously if you do get involved with anyone, you're going to tell them you're leaving in 4 months. So it'll be up to her whether or not she will continue...

And CJ is right in her point too. If you're not happy with yourself, and think you need to be in a relationship to be happy, then that's an area of your life you need to fix before dating people. Having a girlfriend should mean a good supplement to your already happy world. If you're insecure, you're just setting up women to be in a terrible relationship with you
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:02 pm
Take the 4 months to get used to being single.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:08 pm
littlek wrote:

Probably a good idea, just don't think single = lonely. Sounds like you need to work on being a more social guy either way.

How you's doing, littlek?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:10 pm
I agree with slappy, CJ, and littleK, with a one sentence exception. Quoting slappy, Don't "try" to remain friends, meaning it's not worth putting any effort into whatever kind of friendship can remain or develop.

Friendship afterwards is possible, can be good and not fraught with emotional messiness. That's not very usual though; I get slappy's view re skipping that part and moving along.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:13 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I agree with slappy, CJ, and littleK, with a one sentence exception. Quoting slappy, Don't "try" to remain friends, meaning it's not worth putting any effort into whatever kind of friendship can remain or develop.

Friendship afterwards is possible, can be good and not fraught with emotional messiness. That's not very usual though; I get slappy's view re skipping that part and moving along.

I just think it should take some time. Someone always has remaining feelings, they need to go away first. If possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:14 pm
littlek wrote:

Probably a great sig line. If there's one thing I see going on in many relationship posts, it's fear of being by yourself with yourself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:19 pm
Yes, slap, I agree on the getting away first.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 08:19 pm
I should post a thread saying "I forgot how not to be single".

I've been single for 9 years next month and I enjoy my freedom so much that I wonder if I could get use to someone else being in the picture.

When you're use to being with someone and suddenly they're not there anymore, it's natural feel lonely.

I agree with the others saying you should take time for yourself before jumping in another relationship.

In the mean time, go out and have some fun.

4 months is not very long at all.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
Use the time to get your head together and figure things out. Get to know yourself. Be ready to start anew when you move. A fresh start is wonderfully exciting. Hope you make the best of it.
0 Replies

playa4life

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:56 am
Hey dude... Echoing what everyone said: Enjoy this time of being single! You are more likely to meet someone anyway when you are not "on the prowl"... catch my drift? If I think back to my single days... lets just say that was time well spent. its such a weight from ones shoulders not to have to worry about the GF calling you at 4 in the morning to find out where you are; or why you are so late; etc.
ENJOY IT AND TRY NOT TO OVER ANALYZE THIS. This should be a happy time for you. Get to know yourself again!!!
0 Replies

hellokittygirl777

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 12:08 pm
Especially since you are moving, its best to get yourself together and find out what you really are looking for. I am not saying that you don't already know, but having this time alone will do you a world of good. You just got out of a long relationship and you may just feel lonely from not having someone around all the time.

Join a gym or find something in your area that might help you just meet people to be in social situations without getting into a relationship.

Once you move, you will be ready to go out there and start dating and enjoying yourself!
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
I don't disagree with anyone's advice. I've been doing a lot of the things suggested. I like my new haircut. Cool

I think I relate to what Montana said most. When you've become so used to a lifestyle (mine being a relationship, hers being single) it's hard to adjust to a new one.

Someone said something about me defining happiness by being in a relationship. This is not the case. If you want the background on what happened read this...

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96398

I'm very interested in being happy as a single person, but I'm also interested in meeting new people and maybe dating. bottom line, I would like to be happy in whatever my circumstances are.

As for 4 months, I know it's not a long time to be single, but it's a long time to be in limbo. At least that's how I feel.

Thanks for all the replies.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:11 pm
Best of luck to ya.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:27 pm
Sign up on an internet dating sight. It will give you some great practice at socalizing and dating. You know, knock the rust off.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:49 pm
<rips Kicky's cloths off> Twisted Evil
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:36 pm
Any suggestions on a good online dating site?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:39 pm
Oy, it's Kicky's long lost brother! Shocked
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:40 pm
Montana wrote:
<rips Kicky's cloths off> Twisted Evil

<Licking and kissing Montana's inner thighs as an appetizer before the main course>
0 Replies