Would you quit if your company moved your office?

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:19 pm
Thanks. I still feel incredibly broken hearted, but I think that's better than being glad to go because the job sucked, or something like that. It'll be ok, I think.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm
FreeDuck--

Even with your quirks, they loved you--because you were excellent value for them.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:09 pm
Good deal Freeduck.

Your heart may hurt some over leaving, but it will mend, and you'll be left with fond memories.

Your personal life is going to be sooooo much more satisfying!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Thanks. I still feel incredibly broken hearted, but I think that's better than being glad to go because the job sucked, or something like that. It'll be ok, I think.

I once cried at an exit interview. I loved working for a particular company, but because it was just a great place to work people didn't leave and therefore there was little opportunity for promotions. I pretty much had to leave to get promoted even though I was qualified. I ended up getting a double promotion at another company and a very significant increase in pay. But it was still hard and I had worked there over 8 years. So it can be difficult even if it is for the better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
I remember tears running down my face as I left St. John's Hospital on my last day of work there. I'd worked there part-time in various departments from the day I turned sixteen until I left university, a total of seven years. Waaaaah!
But I had to move on to do a lab internship, y'know, get on with life.

Wishing you much happiness in the new job, Free Duck..
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 02:25 pm
Just remember, Freeduck, no one ever looks back and says I wish I'd spent less time with my kids. You made the right choice for you and your family. No one at the old place can fault you for that. Stay in touch with them, if you can. No burning bridges and all that, ya know. Good luck at the new job!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 02:39 pm
Thanks you guys. You really know how to make a person feel better.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
Heh, when Dictaphone did the big layoff, my entire department was crying. We still see each other and it's been a year and a half already. Just make sure to get all the email addies and you'll be able to keep in touch.

And ... good luck on the new job!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:35 am
Freeduck--

What's going on? Any updates?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:27 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Just remember, Freeduck, no one ever looks back and says I wish I'd spent less time with my kids.

I would! since I hate kids. Mebbe thats why I don't have kids? yep, that's the one!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 12:43 pm
Cheers Ducks on new job!

First day, can you sneak off to internet to post?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:59 pm
Hey! Life is pretty good on the new job. I've been here about a month now and it's a little bit different environment-wise but still good. The best parts, in order, are: shorter commute, more money, less responsibility (which translates to working fewer weekends and evenings -- none so far). Much much more time with the kids and I'm not as tired in the evening. The kids' school is actually right about halfway between work and home which makes getting there for events and volunteering a piece of cake.

The work itself is very different but I really like the industry so I'm expecting to get the hang of things and ride this one out for a while. It's very laid back. With any luck, you all shouldn't be hearing me bitch about my job for a good long while.

Had lunch with the old folks on Friday -- it was very good to see all their faces. One thing the new job doesn't have so far is as many funny people. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while. But it's all good and we'll stay in touch.
0 Replies