Would you quit if your company moved your office?

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:07 am
FreeDuck wrote:
And now is decision time... I have an offer from another company. It's more money and it's closer to home and the work sounds interesting. But I'm not sure I'm ready to jump ship.

Jump. And if it doesn't work out for some reason you can look at freelancing.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:12 am
JPB wrote:

What has this done to your plans to go back to school?

Funny you should mention this, the benefits for the new job include tuition reimbursement, which I don't currently get. How I'll make time to go back is yet another question, but if I take this job I think that might take care of one hurdle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:13 am
Sounding better and better... (Would it cover any and all tuition or just related to your field? Is related to your field what you want to go back to school for?)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
I think related to my field. There are a couple of programs at Georgia Tech that I'm interested in, two of which I could easily make an argument that they are related to my field. I have been wanting to go back for statistics, which is applicable in many ways, but there is also a multi-disciplinary program called Human-Computer Interaction that peaks my curiosity.

It's all a bit far off though as I just don't have the time to do it right now. Still, good to know it could be possible.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:18 am
It sounds like I'm talking myself into taking it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:22 am
It does...!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:36 am
Maybe not talking yourself into it.....reviewing and coalescing in your mind.

Do you think maybe you've already decided, and it's just so fast you haven't caught up with yourself?

Closer to home - could bike to work
Closer to duckies school
More money
Tuition reimbursement
Already know someone working there
In your field
Exciting challenge

vs.

vague feeling you shouldn't switch jobs again.

hmmmmm......
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:19 am
You've caught me, Chai.

Now, how to tell these people I love that I'm leaving...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:30 am
Get stinkin' drunk and lurch into your bosses office, slurring...."I neber likekidid you crumm-bummy bunch of farging iceholes innyway!"

Then toss your cookies on his work station.

No seriously, it'll be hard, but if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you be understanding of someone leaving over a matter that effected them so profoundly?

Watch out for the counter offer though...What would you do if you were offered more money? What if they graciously consent to letting you work 2 days a week from home?

Me? I would not take the offer.

I figure they have already shown what their true methods are, and if they offer more it's in desperation mode, and will later be thrown up to you.

IMO if you give notice, the Rubicon has been crossed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:40 am
Congratulations on the job offer!

People switch jobs a lot nowadays. People expect and deserve satisfaction in what they do eight hours a day. Once you find the right place, you'll know it.

Trust me, you won't regret no losing five or six hours of your life each week....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:41 am
Chai wrote:
Get stinkin' drunk and lurch into your bosses office, slurring...."I neber likekidid you crumm-bummy bunch of farging iceholes innyway!"

Then toss your cookies on his work station.

Laughing You just made my morning.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:54 am
Laughing Chai. (I let my kids watch that movie and now they get in trouble for calling other kids fargin' iceholes and fargin' sonama benches.

Yeah, I better prepare for the counter offer.

Have I thanked you guys yet? You always get me through these tough work situations. Hic, I love you fargin iceholes... hic.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:44 am
Freeduck, before you go in there make a list. Chai's is a start but I'm sure there are more things you like about your current job. There are probably some downsides to taking the new job. Write them all down. What could your current employer do to tip the scales? When the counter offer comes, you'll be prepared.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:28 am
I should have taken your advice Swimpy.

I just told them today and I feel like **** about it. Ugh. I'm going to miss these people.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
FreeDuck--

Family first.

Then co-workers.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:58 am
You are right, Noddy. Thanks for the shot in the arm.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:04 pm
Some one once told me you need to look at this fact:

What would happen if you dropped dead today -

Impact to your work - work go on as usual

Impact to family - just a bit different
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
Wow, so it's happening!

Any more news about the new job?

I totally get how sad it can be to say goodbye to co-workers. Noddy makes a great point though, of course.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:13 pm
Nothing new -- I start on the 11th. I have a ton of stuff to do here to prepare so that I don't leave them high and dry. It's nerve wracking.

I was told that the door would always be open if I found I didn't like it where I'm going, which was incredibly sweet and reassuring.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 12:15 pm
That's really great! And kudos to you, too -- you have to have done a fabulous job there and have handled serving notice well to get that kind of an offer at the end of it all.
0 Replies