Help! Old boyfriend emailed and wants some answers?

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:09 pm
HELP! I have been happily married for a decade now with children but an old boyfriend has emailed me with some questions about why I ended our relationship of five years and then married my now husband within the year of that relationship. Shocked
I don't mind answering those questions but I still think about him from time to time and worry that this may lead to something more. This boyfriend has never married, still single (not seriously dating) and we had a very strong connection when we were together. Is he fishing for something or does he just want to know and go on?
Should I be honest with my husband and tell him that I am emailing him? Should I just let it go and ignore the email, thus denying his quoted desire for "closure"? Any advice greatly appreciated!
confused! Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,021 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:13 pm
Let it go. Block his email address.
0 Replies

hellokittygirl777

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:25 pm
I had an ex do the same thing to me. He said he wanted closure about some items and he thanked me because it really helped him understand a couple things. My situation of course is different because he's married now too and I never wondered about him.

It's hard to say what to do, but if you think you can give him some closure without it turning into anything more, then I would say its ok.

If you think this will affect your relationship and wonder the "what if's", definetely don't do it. I weighed all that out when I replied to my ex.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:27 pm
Or talk to your husband about it and get his opinion.
Do not jeopardize your marriage.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:29 pm
Curious as to how he got the e-mail address after all this time. Unless, of course, it is ten years old.

Anyhow, you seem to be considering this and that should be a warning to let it go if you value your marriage.
0 Replies

sweethomenc

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:36 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Curious as to how he got the e-mail address after all this time. Unless, of course, it is ten years old.

That is a good question, I didn't think about that one but I am pretty sure since we went to college together he got the email addy out of an alumni directory. Thanks for the warning, I need it!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:38 pm
Un huh. Just block the address. You owe him nothing.
0 Replies

sweethomenc

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:42 pm
[quote="hellokittygirl777"]I had an ex do the same thing to me. He said he wanted closure about some items and he thanked me because it really helped him understand a couple things. My situation of course is different because he's married now too and I never wondered about him.

It's hard to say what to do, but if you think you can give him some closure without it turning into anything more, then I would say its ok.

If you think this will affect your relationship and wonder the "what if's", definetely don't do it. I weighed all that out when I replied to my ex.[/quote]

Very interesting approach kitty! Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 01:49 pm
I think he's fishing, hoping maybe to start something up. I wonder how many of his "old flames" he sent messages to?

I'd ignore it and block the address. Or maybe just write him a note telling him it didn't work out because you didn't love him and still don't. Then block the email and never give it another thought.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 02:51 pm
Sweethomenc--

When you broke up did he understand why then?

Is he the sort of person who would be seeing a shrink and probing his past.?

Did he have trouble with drugs or alcohol and be trying to make amends?

What about "NO" doesn't he understand? If he's the cud-chewing sort, he really might want to know. If he's operating from wounded ego, beware.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
Quote:
What about "NO" doesn't he understand? If he's the cud-chewing sort, he really might want to know. If he's operating from wounded ego, beware.

Thats what I'm wondering...wounded ego, but not the wounds from ten years ago. He may think your an easy target to answer his questions about himself he's too blind to figure out on his own.

I'd probably have to block him, and let him figure it all out for himself.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:02 pm
He sounds fishy and creepy . . . after 10 years!!!??
(Unless he's in therapy . . . )
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 05:47 pm
Doesn't matter what he's up to or his motivation for contacting you. The question is, what do you want to do about it?

I've ignored all emails and notes from ex-boyfriends. I didn't even bother my husband with them. (although I did save them and giggled with my girlfriend about them. it's a nice ego-stroke) What purpose could being in contact with an ex possibly serve except to cause trouble?

Leave the past in the past. But if you are thinking about opening communication with your ex, I think you should tell your husband and see what he thinks about it. If you have even an inkling that he's not cool with it, drop it. Your old relationship isn't worth upsetting what you have now.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:14 pm
Re: Help! Old boyfriend emailed and wants some answers?
Why do people get so damn obsessed over what causes another person to break up with them? Who f'n cares? There's somebody hotter, smarter, and a better person who will f**k you. Stop being such a wussy and constantly look for that person.
0 Replies

sweethomenc

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Why do people get so damn obsessed over what causes another person to break up with them? Who f'n cares? There's somebody hotter, smarter, and a better person who will f**k you. Stop being such a wussy and constantly look for that person.

Laughing Couldn't have said it better, can I copy this and send this to him in an email! Hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:24 pm
sweethomenc wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Laughing Couldn't have said it better, can I copy this and send this to him in an email! Hillarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do! And tell him I said he's an insecure little bitch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
I'm mixed on this, mostly agreeing with the general consensus, but see Noddy's point.

I did talk with an old lover something like 30 years later - and not by seeking him out but by looking up another friend's phone number. That he picked up the phone was a surprise. Now THAT was a good conversation for both of us, and I'm glad it happened; also no need to repeat it, continue in any way - it added kind of coherence to the years. (Coherence is not the word I'm after, but it'll do in the meantime.)
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
Oooooh, be careful. Doubts are not good, if you're happy in your marriage and you worry that getting in contact with this guy might upset that, don't do it!

I personally (going by experience with one of my ex's) would reply with, "I didn't love you anymore and found someone who makes me much happier than you ever could. There's no point in continuing something with someone when you know there's another person out there who could really love you and wants to spend the rest of your lives together. I'm just glad I found someone like that. Do you have a gf/fiance/partner/wife?"

But if you have worries that talking to him will rekindle old flames, just make it short and sweet. Give him a good strong answer and don't talk to him again. "I found someone who could make me happy."

Not meaning to offend or anything, just curious, did you cheat on this boyfriend with your now husband? It just seemed he'd made a point of mentioning that you married your husband within a year of ending your relationship..
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:11 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
sweethomenc wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Please do! And tell him I said he's an insecure little bitch.

Laughing !

Don't call him a bitch, sweet! Altho' I do find it interesting that you want to email him anything at all. Is there some unfinished business on your end as well?
0 Replies

sweethomenc

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:16 pm
honey_rose_cr wrote:

Not meaning to offend or anything, just curious, did you cheat on this boyfriend with your now husband? It just seemed he'd made a point of mentioning that you married your husband within a year of ending your relationship..

Hi!
I am not offended at all about your question. I never cheated on this boyfriend. We had dated for five years and I broke up with him at the time because in my mind the relationship had become stale and stagnant and I needed some change. In my mind, the breakup was very positive and on amicable terms. I started dating my now husband within a month of the breakup (never knew him before the realtionship with the boyfriend ended), we only dated six months, got engaged and then were married after a six month engagement. This is what he means by "within a year" of ending that five year relationship I met and married my now husband of 12 years. I did speak to him on the phone a few times during the first months of the courtship with my husband but once I became engaged and heavy into wedding planning, I never spoke to him again. I am not sure he even knew about it until after I was married. He was not invited to say the least. I do remember vaguely getting an email from him not long after I was married but I am pretty sure I deleted it and never answered him at all. Maybe he is in therapy, although he is quite narcissitic, so I doubt it. We did have a somewhat stormy relationship and he did at one time want to get married but I said no, but this was early on in the relationship. Maybe he does need closure, not sure what his intentions are in this at all. Not sure about mine either!
Hope this helps you curiousity!
0 Replies