correct phrasing

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:20 am
The teacher said, "The world is round" can be reported as The teacher said that the world is round because the world is round is a universal truth.

Is the bold part correctly used? I don't think so. If so, please rephrase it for me.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 640 • Replies: 11
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
It's difficult to rephrase without changing it quite a lot.....

"because this is accepted as a universal truth"
"because this is recognised everwhere as a fact"

or a variety of similar phrases.

"...because the roundness of the world is accepted everywhere as a fact" is a bit awkward, maybe.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:41 am
Re: correct phrasing
Yoong Liat wrote:
The teacher said, "The world is round" can be reported as The teacher said that the world is round because the world is round is a universal truth.

Is the bold part correctly used? I don't think so. If so, please rephrase it for me.

Many thanks.

I am not sure what you are asking. The teacher said that the world was round, presumably, because he wished his pupils to know that fact. The whole bold part should be omitted. Reported speech should not contain conjecture by the writer.

The teacher said that the world was round.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:46 am
In addition, it's not true:

Quote:
the earth is flat at the poles and bulges at the equator

:wink:
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:48 am
Hi Contrex

Mc Tag's reply is in response to what I was asking.

The bold part has noting to do with what the teacher said. It is the explanation why 'is' is used instead of 'was'.

The teacher said, 'The world is round.'
In reported speech, it should be The teacher said that the world is round.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
Ah! I see! Yoong Liat, you need to brush up your punctuation. And avoid repetition. And be clearer. "Is the part in bold correctly used?" is very unclear about the nature of your enquiry.

This is the sentence in your question

This is how it should have been

If a teacher said: "The world is round", this should be reported as "The teacher said that the world is round", using "is", because what the teacher said is a universal truth.

Much less confusing!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:01 am
Hi Contrex

It is not punctuation which is the problem but my carelessness. The second part should have been italicised -- The teacher said that the world is round

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your guidance.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:05 am
McTag wrote:
It's difficult to rephrase without changing it quite a lot.....

"because this is accepted as a universal truth"
"because this is recognised everwhere as a fact"

or a variety of similar phrases.

"...because the roundness of the world is accepted everywhere as a fact" is a bit awkward, maybe.
Thanks, Mc Tag.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:12 am
I am not even sure that the use of the present tense as described is compulsory.

If a teacher said: "The world is round", this could be reported as "The teacher said that the world was round", at least in BrE.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:21 am
Hi Contrex

I agree with you that it could be reported using 'was'. However, I think many people will disagree. I've read that 'was' could be used in one English usage book. All the other books state that 'is' should be used.

This again proves that your English knowledge is vast.

Regards
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:38 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Contrex

I agree with you that it could be reported using 'was'. However, I think many people will disagree. I've read that 'was' could be used in one English usage book. All the other books state that 'is' should be used.

This again proves that your English knowledge is vast.

Regards

I wonder where those books came from? It may be an AmE / BrE difference. Unfortunately, many grammar books state as rules what are often merely stylistic preferences.

Normally, the tense in reported speech is one tense back in time from the tense in direct speech.

See this page of reported speech tense changes

http://www.lingolex.com/repotedlist.shtml

Consider this extract from an academic review in The New York Review Of Books:-

Quote:

Friedman's by now famous discovery of the world's flatness came to him when he was talking to Nandan Nilekani, CEO of one of India's leading new high-technology companies, Infosys Technologies, at its campus in Bangalore. The Indian entrepreneur remarked to Friedman: "Tom, the playing field is being leveled." The observation is commonplace, but it hit Friedman with the force of a revelation. "What Nandan is saying, I thought, is that the playing field is being flattened.... Flattened? Flattened? My God, he's telling me the world is flat!" Five hundred years ago, Columbus "returned safely to prove definitively that the world was round." As a matter of fact it was not Columbus who provided the proof but the Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan, whose ship circled the globe in a three-year voyage from 1519 to 1522. Regardless, Friedman sees himself as a latter-day Columbus who has discovered that the world is no longer round: "I scribbled four words down in my notebook: 'The world is flat.'"
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:18 pm
Thanks, Contrex.
0 Replies