Abortion

woiyo

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Putting aside other aspects of the issue, I am interested in the notion that there can be issues of morality or legality that exclude one sex or the other from formulating a valid opinion.

Where is the line drawn on this position?

Quite a few men join quite a few women in believing women should not mutilate themselves or commit suicide. Are only the views of women valid in this regard, and do women have a leg to stand on if they assert that men should not mutilate or kill themselves?

What about a 12 year old girl prostituting herself? Here again, only women can weigh in?

I appreciate the argument that abortion should, legally, be the sole decision of the individual mother, but I fail to understand the significance of gender in the standing of opposing voices. Presumably your argument is founded, to one extent or the other, on the premise that since the choice relates to the woman's body, only she should make the decision, but just because women can or have had children should not make their opinions any more valid when it relates to the body of another woman.

Seems to smack of a certain bitter regard for men, and if the genders were switched I suspect you would have quite a few people charging you with misogyny.

Let me assure you, I have no bitterness towards men, at least not for
the ones who are trying to tell me what to do with my own body. For
the others it's more contempt than anything else.

Whatever your morals are pertaining to life, are your own, I do not share them and apparently the majority of people don't share your morals
either, as abortion is legal in this country.

If you don't understand the significance of gender involved in the decision, I suggest you talk to the millions of women who are single mothers and
live on the verge of poverty due to deadbeat fathers. There are exceptions, yes I acknowledge that, yet the majority of single mothers
struggle. Ultimately the children are her responsibility, thus it should
be her responsibility, and hers alone, to decide if she wants to terminate
a pregnancy or not.

This is very simple, and a perfectly legal process. How you perceive
this issue with your own morals is not important, sorry to say. I repeat:
abortion is legalized in the United States!

Alot of empty word Jane.

Why not be intellectually honest about what is in a womens body . It is a human life and you ant to argue that you should, and only you, should decide what to do with that life that in in your body.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 04:12 pm
Mame wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
I am strongly pro-choice.

However, I find it deeply troubling when women say that abortion is not a man's issue. This is complete bullshit.

This is just part of the near complete devaluing of fatherhood. From conception, to birth, to custody... fathers are simply not considered parents.

When are fathers going to be considered parents?

I believe that abortion should be safe and legal.

I am just saying that fathers have a vested interest in the process of reproduction-- from conception through childhood.

My opinion in this important issue counts damn it.

I couldn't agree more with most of your comments. Men are often/usually overlooked, and while it's not "fair", it's for an obvious reason - SHE'S the one going through the physical side of things, while BOTH of them are (perhaps) doing the emotional aspect. Therefore, it has become HER decision. (Of course, there are other factors involved; this is quite simplistic).

Do you really think, however, that she should put her life on hold for 8-9 months for his sake, ie. that he thinks he wants to be a daddy (esp if it was an 'accident')? That's the question I struggle with. Do you really think she should be 'forced' to birth that baby?

It's a minefield, which is why we're still where we're at on this issue.

The way to have equal reproductive rights is simple.

A woman who makes a mistake and starts a pregnancy can decide, for whatever reason, that she is not ready to be a parent.

We should give a man the same ability.

A man who decides he is ready for the responsibilities of being a parent should be able to give up full parental rights. In exchange he would no longer be considered the father (i.e. no rights and no responsibilities). Of course the woman at this point would have many options including adoption or abortion.

This make a man's rights equal to those of the woman's. Each one could decide (after the baby is conceived) whether they want to go through with being a parent or not.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 07:28 pm
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

Why not be intellectually honest about what is in a womens body . It is a human life and you ant to argue that you should, and only you, should decide what to do with that life that in in your body.

Yes, woiyo, that's how it is. No need to argue though, as it is clearly
defined by law. Perhaps you should read it, and fill in all the empty words.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:07 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

I noticed you deliberately or otherwise chose to not answer my questions that directly go to the moral reconciliation that it is a woman's sole choice in a committed relationship.

I'm interested in your thoughts on them.

Well not really B.

Unlike CJ, I did not answer your post with a dodge, I simply didn't have the time to get to it. Now I do.

To refresh my mind here is your post:

Would your views change if you were told that the mother and father were married and both agreed that the pregnancy should be terminated?

No.

This is precisely the sort of joint decision that to me is in keeping with the
intellectual, emotional and spiritual compact of a committed relationship.

I think though that you believe my view is that abortion is "wrong," and that you wonder if I might change my position if both parents agreed upon it. As I previously indicated, I am conflicted on this issue. I actually do think abortion is "wrong," but I also think that forcing a woman to have an unwanted baby is "wrong" as well. I cannot decide which is more "wrong," and the fact that both parents might agree on abortion doesn't help me.

Should the morals, beliefs or opinions of others still govern that mother's choice in that case?

Your question is flawed due to the fact that I have not argued that the morals, beliefs, or opinions of others should govern the mother's choice and so the fact that the father concurred would have no bearing on a view I have not expressed.

Of course CJ strenuously made the point that abortion is LEGAL, and so I guess that if it was ILLEGAL, she would be OK with our discounting her personal opinions and sense of morality, but I prefer to discuss the issue outside of the framework of legality. Clearly it is legal. This doesn't make it moral anymore than it being illegal would necessarily make it immoral.

The morality of abortion is not determined by whether or not the mother makes the decision in concert with the father. My point was that this moral issue needed to be reconciled with the intrinsic moral fabric of a committed relationship.

If abortion is illegal, than clearly the views of other will impose themselves upon the choice of the mother (in concert or not with the father), but not, in my opinion, from a moral standpoint. If the mother allows the opinions etc of others to influence her decision that is her choice and perhaps gets wrapped up in the adjacent moralities of filial love, religious conviction etc.

How about if in that same committed marriage the father wished the mother to terminate the pregnancy but the mother did not wish to?

Seems like a tough one, but maybe not so much.

Obviously the mother can, from a legal and practical standpoint, get the abortion if she wants it, but to do so without the concurrence of the husband would likely put an end to the committed relationship.

By definition, a committed relationship should produce concurrence on such a question. The wishes, desires, fears and expectations of each person in the relationship needs to be weighed against one another, and agreement obtained. If they are not, either the relationship didn't exist in the first place of the issue will destroy it.

At that point I think the onus falls upon the mother, but I don't believe she is necessarily in the moral right to move forward with her choice.

Obviously, in our hypothetical, the mother doesn't want to have the child. Her reasons could be many and each would have a different bearing on the issue of what she should do.

For instance, let's assume she wants an abortion because she is afraid that the birth will result in her death. This would support her moving forward, and emphasize the selfishness of the father's desires.

But let's assume that she never wanted a child and doesn't want this one, while the father has longed for little else.

Can she go ahead with the abortion? Legally, yes but should she? The conflict has destroyed her relationship with the father but she can go through nine months of discomfort and angst and allow him to be fulfilled as a person. It's hard for me to accept that in such an equation, the mother has the moral advantage.

This was my point - irrespective of the legality of abortion, irrespective of the morality of it, there should be consideration of the wishes of both mother and father.

How much weight do you apply to the father's wishes in that case? Do the morals, beliefs and opinion of the mother supersede any feelings and wishes of the father or does the mother's choice take precedence?

I think I've answered this question.

As it stands today, the mother can go ahead with an abortion her husband does not want.

The morality of her choice will depend upon the reasoning behind her desires and those of her husbands.

The mother's desires trump the father's legally, but they do not necessarily do so on a moral basis. Morally, neither of them have an automatic upperhand, and the likelihood of a perfect tie between desires on a moral level are very very slim indeed. Someone will have the moral highground, whether or not they have their way.

I hope that nothing I've written seems flippant or rude as I have taken your post quite seriously, and appreciate it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:58 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

There are many things that are clearly defined by law, but people still argue them due their moral views as opposed to legalilties. That is why there have been so many protests over the years on war, marijuana and many other things that people discuss out of passion...not legality.

It is so easy to say that it is ok because it is covered by law.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

There are many things that are clearly defined by law, but people still argue them due their moral views as opposed to legalilties. That is why there have been so many protests over the years on war, marijuana and many other things that people discuss out of passion...not legality.

Indeed.

Would CJ be happy to go her own way if aborton was ILLEGAL?

Somehow I doubt it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 11:52 pm
Finn, Thanks for taking my questions seriously and giving them some thorough consideration. It is the kind of exploration of this issue that we need and not the usual religious, vs scientific, etc arguments it usually reduces to. The test of a good argument is if it is continued when the question is flipped and the argument still stands.

Most of these discussions only frame the argument within the limited scope of it being only the woman's decision vs. the father's wishes with the woman wanting to end the pregnancy and the father not having any say in the matter. Usually when I flip the question and ask it again, it gets ignored or it makes people rethink and explore the basis for their "knee-jerk" argument.

Knowing that you have done such exploration with your argument makes me more receptive to giving it consideration.

Quote:
I actually do think abortion is "wrong," but I also think that forcing a woman to have an unwanted baby is "wrong" as well. I cannot decide which is more "wrong," and the fact that both parents might agree on abortion doesn't help me.

That's the point that the adoption alternative is usually raised. It ignores, however, the medical stress and trauma to the mother's body and the financial costs of bringing a baby to term and giving birth. It turns the female body into a mindless breeding mechanism.

At this point, the argument about birth control and abstinence is brought in. However, this doesn't apply to the married couple who is already using birth control that fails. No form of birth control is perfect.

In the case of a mother wanting the pregnancy but the father wanting her to terminate it, you wrote:

Quote:
Obviously the mother can, from a legal and practical standpoint, get the abortion if she wants it, but to do so without the concurrence of the husband would likely put an end to the committed relationship.

You reverted back to the orignal scenario here rather than addressing the flip. In this second scenario, it is the mother who wants to keep the pregnancy and the father who wants to terminate it.

Quote:
By definition, a committed relationship should produce concurrence on such a question. The wishes, desires, fears and expectations of each person in the relationship needs to be weighed against one another, and agreement obtained. If they are not, either the relationship didn't exist in the first place of the issue will destroy it.

Agreed, but that isn't the case in the second scenario. You're avoiding the question. No agreement has been achieved between the married couple. If the father's wishes are to be given equal weight in the decision when the father wants the pregnancy and the mother wishes to terminate it, does the reverse hold true? If the father does not want the pregnancy but the mother does, should she terminate the pregnancy based on his wishes just as she is expected to go through with the pregnancy if he does not want her to terminate it?

Quote:
Obviously, in our hypothetical, the mother doesn't want to have the child. Her reasons could be many and each would have a different bearing on the issue of what she should do.

For instance, let's assume she wants an abortion because she is afraid that the birth will result in her death. This would support her moving forward, and emphasize the selfishness of the father's desires.

But let's assume that she never wanted a child and doesn't want this one, while the father has longed for little else.

Can she go ahead with the abortion? Legally, yes but should she? The conflict has destroyed her relationship with the father but she can go through nine months of discomfort and angst and allow him to be fulfilled as a person. It's hard for me to accept that in such an equation, the mother has the moral advantage.

This was my point - irrespective of the legality of abortion, irrespective of the morality of it, there should be consideration of the wishes of both mother and father.

This is still part of your answer to my second question and erroneously reverts back to the origianl scenario rather than addressing the flipped scenario.

You haven't been flippant or rude, just evasive, but I think it is unintentionable. You're just too used to making the argument from only one perspective. Flip it around and see if your basis for the argument still holds when it is the father who does not want the pregnancy and the mother wishes to keep it.

Hope you'll take the time to reply. I think this can be a constructive exploration for all of us.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:30 am
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

Good, so we agree that a women has the right to decide what to do with the life they are carrying in their body. I support your right to decide what to do with the life you carry in your body ,so long as I do not have to pay for the termination of the life in your body, if that is what you decide.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:58 am
woiyo wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

Good, so we agree that a women has the right to decide what to do with the life they are carrying in their body. I support your right to decide what to do with the life you carry in your body ,so long as I do not have to pay for the termination of the life in your body, if that is what you decide.

Woiyo,

When you make this a debate about money... rather than about morality, you have lost the argument for sure.

Everyone has to pay for things they don't like... some don't like paying for public health, and others don't like paying for the Iraq war or Guantanamo.

There is a valid debate to be had about whether abortion is immoral to the point that it should be prohibited by society. I don't think that it is, but when the argument is about morality, I at least respect the people making it.

A morality that can be bought for a price is not worth anything.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

Adding: the death penalty. It is clearly defined by the law, it is completely legal. Does that mean that there's "no need to argue"?

<back to reading along>
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
ebrown_p wrote:
woiyo wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Alot of empty word Jane.

Woiyo,

When you make this a debate about money... rather than about morality, you have lost the argument for sure.

Everyone has to pay for things they don't like... some don't like paying for public health, and others don't like paying for the Iraq war or Guantanamo.

There is a valid debate to be had about whether abortion is immoral to the point that it should be prohibited by society. I don't think that it is, but when the argument is about morality, I at least respect the people making it.

A morality that can be bought for a price is not worth anything.

I disagree. I, unlike you, will not force MY morals on anyone. You have absolutely NO RIGHT to tell anyone how they should lead their lives so long as it does not interfere with your individual freedom.

If a women feels it is necessary to terminate the life they carry in their body, that is her choice. However, that women should NOT come to the taxpayers and ask them to pay for it.

The taxpayers should not have to have this womens "morals" thrust upon them as a means to terminate the life of an unborn child.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:18 am
The question is not whether YOU think abortion is right for you (morally or otherwise). The question should always be do you want the govenrment to have a say in it? If they make decisions like this for pregnant women, why not make the decision that terminally sick people must be kept alive by all means necessary?

Do you see what I am saying? It's not that any of us are saying (maybe some are but I am not) that abortion is right. We are saying we don't want our govenrment to dictate what we have to believe.

I know you are going to liken this to murder and making it legal to murder. But there is no debate on whether or not a person who is walking the earth is considered a life. There is still debate on whether or not a fetus is considered a life, since it cannot survive without the mother. Do you consider a virus or a bacteria a life? They both need a host to survive yet you take no exception to wiping them out. Do not misunderstand me. I am not comparing a baby to a virus. But the idea that something that cannot survive on it's own is considered a person with rights.

On the other hand...a person who must have machines to keep them alive cannot survive on their own so are they automatically considered not a person any more?

Do you see the problem here? There is no definitive answer. And creating a law that supports your personal religious belief is an infringment on my right to believe in my personal religion.

I personally believe that at the moment of conception the cells are a baby. But I also believe in the right to make your own decisions.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:19 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
parasite

n.
Biology. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

I think that one has to agree that an embryo, and early fetus, qualifies for the definition of a parasite, under the aforementioned definition.

Once the fetus reaches viability, then IMO the rules change. Even so, in the case where the life of the mother is at stake, a partial birth abortion is a sad, but sometimes necessary option. I think that most would agree that if a choice needs to be made, the life of the mother trumps that of the fetus.

An acorn may be a potential oak tree, but it is no tree!

Same sort of question as InfraBlue had.

Under the above definition, the fetus is a parasite until the moment it is born.

Certainly is is how the fetus is treated in a partial birth abortion.

When, in your opinion, is a partial birth abortion necessary?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:46 am
As I have said, a partial birth abortion, IMO would be necessary where the life of the mother is at stake. In some cases, it might be broadened to include the health of the mother, where continuing the pregnancy would cause a grave danger to her health.

In rare cases, I think that a partial birth abortion is appropriate when it is found that the fetus has some VERY SERIOUS defect that would make it incompatible with life. What is very serious is open to interpretation, and, the decision, IMO, is between the doctor and the mother, with feedback from the father.

chai wrote:
Under the above definition, the fetus is a parasite until the moment it is born.

True, but here is where I tend to be conflicted, and I admit it. Legally, the fetus is not a person, and has no rights of its own until it has been born. Morally, when the fetus is viable, I think that it is inappropriate to take its life, except in the cases that I mentioned above. Under no conditions would I ever approve of a late term abortion just "because".
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:59 am
I'll admit, I am no expert on partial birth abortions. I may not be understanding something. I need some education.

As the name implies to me, the fetus is already partially born.

If in some opinions, the fetus does not have rights until it is born, wouldn't it have rights if it is partially born....wouldn't it at least have partial rights?

Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, and I'm not a medical person, but it's hard for me to conceive of a situation where the fetus must be killed while it is being born.

If a womans life is in danger, while the fetus is partially out of the body/cervix etc, how is killing the fetus going to help the mother? The body is still in place.

Or, is the fetus considered partially born as soon as labor pains begin?

If the fetus is killed in the uterus, it still must be removed.

I really don't understand how killing the fetus could help the mother in a crisis situation. Couldn't the same effect be acheived by getting the baby out alive?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:02 am
Chai wrote:
I'll admit, I am no expert on partial birth abortions. I may not be understanding something. I need some education.

As the name implies to me, the fetus is already partially born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intact_dilation_and_extraction
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:14 pm
That is, without a doubt, the most perverse thing I have ever read.

I still fail to imagine a situation were a womans health would be in such danger over giving birth, that, instead she would opt instead for a procedure that goes over 3 days, and ultimatley involves dragging her baby out of her body by the feet, and sucking the brains out of the babies head with a needle.

The only thing I remotely saw there that was a reason a mother might want to do this was...

The procedure results in a largely intact body over which the parents may grieve.[

I really feel sick to my stomach.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
Indeed. Abortion is a nasty business.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:11 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Finn, Thanks for taking my questions seriously and giving them some thorough consideration. It is the kind of exploration of this issue that we need and not the usual religious, vs scientific, etc arguments it usually reduces to. The test of a good argument is if it is continued when the question is flipped and the argument still stands.

Most of these discussions only frame the argument within the limited scope of it being only the woman's decision vs. the father's wishes with the woman wanting to end the pregnancy and the father not having any say in the matter. Usually when I flip the question and ask it again, it gets ignored or it makes people rethink and explore the basis for their "knee-jerk" argument.

Knowing that you have done such exploration with your argument makes me more receptive to giving it consideration.

Quote:
I actually do think abortion is "wrong," but I also think that forcing a woman to have an unwanted baby is "wrong" as well. I cannot decide which is more "wrong," and the fact that both parents might agree on abortion doesn't help me.

That's the point that the adoption alternative is usually raised. It ignores, however, the medical stress and trauma to the mother's body and the financial costs of bringing a baby to term and giving birth. It turns the female body into a mindless breeding mechanism.

At this point, the argument about birth control and abstinence is brought in. However, this doesn't apply to the married couple who is already using birth control that fails. No form of birth control is perfect.

In the case of a mother wanting the pregnancy but the father wanting her to terminate it, you wrote:

Quote:

You reverted back to the orignal scenario here rather than addressing the flip. In this second scenario, it is the mother who wants to keep the pregnancy and the father who wants to terminate it.

You're absolutely right - I misread your question.

However my answer remains substantially the same. Much will depend on the motivations of each. If the father wanted the child aborted because he was fairly certain the pregnancy would kill his wife, his moral position is somewhat loftier than if he simply didn't want to cut back on spending money on his personal indulgences.

Quote:

Agreed, but that isn't the case in the second scenario.

We don't know that. You haven't detailed the scenario beyond the father wants abortion and the mother does not.

You're avoiding the question.

Just misread it.

No agreement has been achieved between the married couple. If the father's wishes are to be given equal weight in the decision when the father wants the pregnancy and the mother wishes to terminate it, does the reverse hold true? If the father does not want the pregnancy but the mother does, should she terminate the pregnancy based on his wishes just as she is expected to go through with the pregnancy if he does not want her to terminate it?

Not at all. I'm not suggesting for one second that the father's opinion always wins the day no matter what it is. I do tend to favor the side that promotes allowing the baby to live, but not always, and it's possible that the desire to allow the baby to live is not moral at all.

Quote:

This is still part of your answer to my second question and erroneously reverts back to the origianl scenario rather than addressing the flipped scenario.

Yes, but my answer really is not dependent upon which partner takes which position.

Again, I tend to lean towards supporting whomever wishes to keep the baby, but this doesn't unerringly validate such a position nor discount the validity of the opposing position.

You haven't been flippant or rude, just evasive, but I think it is unintentionable. You're just too used to making the argument from only one perspective. Flip it around and see if your basis for the argument still holds when it is the father who does not want the pregnancy and the mother wishes to keep it.

I certainly do not believe that the father's wishes should be the decisive factor, but I do not believe that the mother's wishes should be either.

Even in the event that the dispute destroys the relationship, the right to decide doesn't necessarily default to the mother --- morally (obviously it does legally).

If we can fashion a highly improbable, but possible hypothetical where the moral foundation of each parents position are identically sound, and yet they remain opposed I think a tie goes to the baby. If the woman wants to abort and she invokes her legal right to go forward with it, I might be disappointed but I would never suggest that her decision automatically implies immorality.

My problems with CJ's comments were multiple

1) She asserted that a man's opinion on this issue is irrelevant
2) She has taken a convenient comfort in the certainty of legality that I doubt she really holds.
3) She asserts that no matter why the woman wants an abortion it is OK that she gets one.

Many of the positions people take are dependent upon the way the issue is framed.

I appreciate consistency, and I expect that many self-described pro-choicers would have considerable difficulty with abortions that were performed because

* The parents believed the child was homosexual
* The parents believed the child would never become a super-model
* The parents believed the child would be too dark skinned

If one accepts the position that a woman's choice to abort is (legally and morally) inviolate then one must accept the three instances above and any others that conflict with parallel morals.

Does the Right to Choose really trump all other issues of morality?

Hope you'll take the time to reply. I think this can be a constructive exploration for all of us.

0 Replies

JOEBIALEK

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:54 am
same
good points
0 Replies