Tuna Helper isnt food

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:59 pm
Ohhhhhhh, making my mouth water thinking about enchiladas.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:59 pm
Do you ever go to MT Supermarket? It gets very good reviews on the food boards - for quality, variety of products, and sometimes for cost.

here's one of their recipes (mushrooms!)

Quote:
Vegetable Stir-Fry » Print this Recipe

Ingredients
3 Dried Black Mushrooms
3 Dried Wood Ear Mushrooms
1 piece Dried Snow Fungus (optional)
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 cloves Minced Garlic
1 cup Broccoli Florets
1 cup Cauliflower Florets
½ cup diced Purple Cabbage (1" squares)
½ cup Vegetable Broth
½ cup Snow Peas, trimmed
½ cup Bean Sprouts

Seasonings:
2 tbs Oyster-Flavored Sauce
1 tbs Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Directions

1. Put the black mushrooms, wood ears and snow fungus in separate small bowls and put enough warm water over them to cover. Soak until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain. Discard the black mushroom stems & cut the caps in half. Thinly slice the wood ears. Discard the hard yellow portion of the snow fungus, and then cut the remainder into bite-sized pieces.
2. Prepare the seasonings: Stir the oyster-flavored sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil tighter in a small bowl.
3. Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, vegetable stock, black mushrooms, wood ears, and snow fungus, cover the wok and cook until the cauliflower is tender-crisp. 2-2 ½ minutes.
4. Add the seasonings, snow peas and sprouts and stir-fry until the now peas are tender. About 1 minute. Scoop onto a serving platter and serve.

Serving
Serve 4 as part of a multi-course meal.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:02 pm
I have never heard of MT ..?

Gosh. My shopping has been limited for a long time I think..

Most of these small places, I had no clue existed..

Could be why I feel I spend TOO much money on food as it is.
For three of us, our average food bill is 110.00 a week
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:03 pm
ooh, another one (they've definitely got some good recipes)

Quote:
Egg Flower Soup with Mushrooms and Lemongrass

Ingredients
4 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Stalks Fresh Lemongrass, lightly crushed (bottom 6" only)
3 Fresh Shiitake Mushrooms, thinly sliced (caps only)
1 oz Enoki Mushrooms
¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
¼ Cup Frozen Peas, thawed
¼ Cup Bamboo Shoots, thinly sliced
¼ pkg (2 oz) Black Moss (soaked, about ¼ cup after soaking) or ¼ cup shredded nori
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground White Pepper
¼ pkg (3 ½ oz) Soft Tofu, cut into ¼ x ¼ x 2 inch long strips
1/3 Cup Fresh or Canned Tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp Cornstarch (dissolved in 3 tbsp water)
1 Egg, beaten
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Directions

1. Bring chicken stock and lemongrass to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the shiitake and enoki mushrooms, bell pepper, peas, bamboo shoots, black moss, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the tofu and tomatoes, stirring gently so the tofu does not break apart. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring gently, until the soup returns to the boil and is lightly thickened.
3. Slowly pour in the beaten egg, stirring slowly but constantly to create "egg flowers." Ladle the soup into a tureen or individual serving bowls. Drizzle the same oil over and serve immediately.

Serving
Serve 4 as part of a multi-course meal.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
Is this on a website?

( off to google MT )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:07 pm
MT is part of Chinatown Centre

http://www.chinatownaustin.com/

10901 N. Lamar Blvd

(not so small
Quote:
With over 55,000 square feet of shopping you can find live seafood, exotic produce, holistic medicine, and much more! In addition to extraordinary and authentic Asian items, MT Supermarket carries the items you would find in your local market.
)

You could make an adventure out of going there as their Chinese New Year celebrations are in less than a month.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
That sounds like fun.......
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 04:45 pm
You've already done Fridge Soup, so save this for next time.

The Casserole
Clean the refrigerator into an ovenproof casserole dish. Add cooked pasta or rice to fill and a can of cream of anything soup. Mix well.

Cover the top with breadcrumbs (one or two slices of stale bread, crumbled) or the last dregs of that bag of potato chips, and bake in a 350 degree oven until done.

Courtesy of Mrs. Robert Crumb, in a cookbook she wrote and her husband illustrated, circa 1969.

Keep on Truckin'!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 05:23 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
We (both Kris and I) love the Amy's product line. As far as frozen/canned stuff goes, theirs are great. Especially the frozen enchilladas.

ooooh....I love amy's stuffed shells, and their tofu lasagna (better even than the one they make with cheese). Also, those veggies in pastry. They're tasty and quite filling. Not too fond of their Indian food though.
They're not cheap, but I feel good about eating them. I have them for lunch quite often.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 05:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:
MT is part of Chinatown Centre

http://www.chinatownaustin.com/

10901 N. Lamar Blvd

(not so small
Quote:
With over 55,000 square feet of shopping you can find live seafood, exotic produce, holistic medicine, and much more! In addition to extraordinary and authentic Asian items, MT Supermarket carries the items you would find in your local market.
)

You could make an adventure out of going there as their Chinese New Year celebrations are in less than a month.

Oh yeah, I've seen that place. it's up on Lamar near Airport Blvd.
Never been in it, but I know a lot of asian people go there for authentic stuff.

Re: City Market, the store as a whole really is horrible shewolf. It's a part of "old" Austin that is dying out, and in this case, it's a good thing.

It reminds me of some markets when I lived in Fla.

There'd be an old run down supermarket in the middle of an area where no one has any money, doesn't own a car, and need to get some food. A can of something that would cost a dollar anywhere else would be $1.42 or $1.60 there. They had a captive audience.

When I first moved into my neighborhood, our neighbors where an elderly couple, Willard and Geneva (both passed on now, RIP) Geneva always went to the City Market, now draft house because....well....it was she had done her shopping since God was a child. The little center that one was in still has the funkiest stores. I don't know how they stay in business. Let's see....there's "Let's Dish!" A place owned by some old gay guy that sells old china and ****. There's a teeny tiny drug store that reminds me of back in the 60's....there's a greeting card rack that has like 3 birthday cards in it....New Age bookstore....A place called "Bitchin' Threads"...A place called City Gym that's really nasty looking....A motor scooter place....etc. Believe me, I love neighborhood stores, but this place is pretty useless.

The one on Ben White has a Tejano night club next to it, or it used to.
0 Replies