Tuna Helper isnt food

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:06 pm
Two days and 3 mouths to feed does make a difference though.

My shop was only for one person.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
Also go into a Mexican market where only Mexicans shop. If you don't feel out of place then you haven't found it yet. There you will find some very good deals on produce and other things too. I'm serious.

Also drug addicts sell food stamps for 50 to 70 cents on the dollar. Go to the welfare office were they get them and you can get them there.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:38 pm
As long as I have the basic staples that I'm used to cooking with, its amazing at what I can come up with....

Give me Flour, Sugar, Eggs, Cornmeal, Oil, and Evaporated Milk....with some dried beans, maybe a little rice, a little meat... and I'm good to go......

Since we've been down here in Alabama, the cost of living is extremely higher. Gas, Alcohol, and Cigarettes are cheap which makes no sense, but food....is high!

A 10lb bag of potatoes when we first moved down here was going in some grocery stores for $8.00 a bag. Milk was 6.00 a gallon back in July but has finally went back down to an average of $4.00 a gallon. A dozen eggs were around 1.80, back home things weren't that high.

So, I have learned a few tricks.

I now go to the Bread store, which offers bread at a 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost. The other day I went in the one I have been going to and they had trash bags full of bread for $4.00 a sack. I picked one up (barely) thinking I'd feed it to my doggy. Once I got home, there was 27 different loaves of bread, none of them were out-dated, and nothing wrong with them. (Except 4 loaves were smashed) I put it all in my freezer. And were talking Rye Bread, Sour Dough, Honey Wheat, Texas Toast, Hamburger buns, hot dog buns...etc.

And I've also learned to go to the meat store. I can get enough meat for two weeks at a time for half the price in the other stores...which has saved me big money because I have meat eaters on my hands....

And then I finally hit the dollar store, they have canned veggies usually 3/1.00.......

And my fresh veggies and any other thing I haven't gotten yet comes from whatever store has the best sales going on....

Where I was spending around 200.00 a week average or better on groceries, I have cut it down to a little over 100.00 per week average.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 01:53 am
shewolfnm wrote:
We already made fridge soup three days ago.

Our fridge is REALLLLY bare.

Cabinets we have grains. Oatmeal, steel cut oats, malt-o-meal, flour etc..

OH!
we do have a bag of pinto beans and a bag of red lentils..

Fridge soup ( where you use anything you have) usually ends up being one of the best meals we ever have!

I do love it!

Got a quick n easy pumpkin & red lentil soup (a bit spicy!) recipe if you want it, shewolf.
I never buy the packaged "helper" things, or bottle pasta sauces, etc ... apart from not liking them much, they're expensive. Trouble is, though, if you want non-processed food, you've got to have the time to shop a few times during the week ... & you have to have worked out your plans for meals at least a few days in advance .... & I can understand how this could be difficult for really busy people.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 06:54 am
Tuna Helper. Bleh!! That's almost as bad as mac n tomatos. Never again!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 06:57 am
dadpad wrote:

I would have gone for vegetables and fruit. You can get a heap of vegetables for 20 bucks easily enough to last 2 days, at least here you can.

You could not get enough fruits and veggies for 2 meals for three people on twenty bucks here. Unless you ate nothing but canned or frozen corn, canned beans and that fruit meadly stuff..

Not to mention all of the canned stuff will more than likely be soaking in corn syrup. Confused

In america it is cheapest and easiest to eat out of packages.
And then people wonder why we have so many health problems.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:21 am
Amigo wrote:
Also go into a Mexican market where only Mexicans shop. If you don't feel out of place then you haven't found it yet. There you will find some very good deals on produce and other things too. I'm serious.

Also drug addicts sell food stamps for 50 to 70 cents on the dollar. Go to the welfare office were they get them and you can get them there.

We have two that I know of and yes, I felt horribly out of place.
I went into them looking for specific things and I did not look around too much because I couldnt speak enough spanish to get help Laughing

But you have a great point. I remember seeing alot of things REALLY cheap.

Maybe I need to switch up my shopping places.

We have a chain store called Fiesta that has most common fruits go on sale every two or three weeks for outrageous prices. Pears will be 10 for a dollar. Mangoes will be 4 or 6 for a dollar. Broccoli will sell for 80 cents a lbs.
Most things I could cut up and freeze..

hmmmm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 07:29 am
We generally have a menu that spans for 5 days and then the last two of the week will be left overs.

What happened.. ( oy vey)
Some how I forgot that I already paid for JIllians day care.

I wrote a second check because I was worried that I was late.

I looked at my bank account two days after leaving the check , and I saw that the payment cleared.
So I figured I was ok and went on my merry way.

Two days later, my account is negative 338.00 .

And, it is because that second check tried to clear. It was not until I saw both checks on my account that i realized what I had done.
So we could only shop with what we had on hand.
We did two days of fridge soup and just eating down what we had... which is never much. We generally keep only what we need for the menu and very little else.

Once that was gone. And I mean GONE .. we even took out all of the hidden pieces of onions and mushrooms.. the ones that fall in the back of the fridge??

Then we ventured to the store with exactly 24.00.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
shewolfnm wrote:
We have a chain store called Fiesta that has most common fruits go on sale every two or three weeks for outrageous prices. Pears will be 10 for a dollar. Mangoes will be 4 or 6 for a dollar. Broccoli will sell for 80 cents a lbs.
Most things I could cut up and freeze..

hmmmm

Have you ever gone into that old store, City Market, that over on Ben White and, ummm....I think First St.?

There used to be one right by my house, but they turned it into a Cinema and Draft House.

You can buy your regular groceries there, nasty meat and overpriced canned goods....but the produce...you can find some good buys there.

I used to stop at the now closed one on the way to work a couple times a week, to pick up fruit to take to work.

They offered the "non-pretty" fruit and vegetables that you pay a premium for appearance.
You could find apples, pairs, peaches etc that were a bit on the small side, I guess you'd call them rated Standard instead of Premium. But they still tasted just as good, and were nutritionally the same.

For vegetables, I especially like them for okra and brussel sprouts. They were all loose, so I could test each piece of okra that it was pliant instead of stiff, and pick out all the tiny brussel sprouts, with are the tenderest.

Oh...and the bananas....sigh. I like my bananas a certain way that they only seem to obtain for a 24 hour period. Being just a few blocks away and right on my work route, I could stop in there and get just the 1 or 2 I wanted for that day.

On top of this.....super cheap. Like you said 10 for a buck, stuff like that.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 09:32 am
I miss living down the street from a Hostess outlet. Not only did I pay less then a third for their products, but, the outlet store sold new experimental products.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:19 am
Quote:
I miss living down the street from a Hostess outlet. Not only did I pay less then a third for their products, but, the outlet store sold new experimental products.

Well, I never got to experience living down the street so to say, it was more like 45 minutes, but I miss getting to go the Hostess bread store also.

This one down here is a "Flowers" I believe, I don't remember what their brand is...but Nature Valley and some Sunbeam productsl come from it also....there is three or four different brands going on in there....

But I was tickled over my 27 loaves of bread variety....lol
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:13 am
The Zatarains boxed products are good. It's hard to make a better jambalaya from scratch. Sometimes I get an hankering for Rice-a-Roni but not very often.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
We (both Kris and I) love the Amy's product line. As far as frozen/canned stuff goes, theirs are great. Especially the frozen enchilladas.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:01 pm
I have to agree with the Zatarans line, I usually make a box or two of that once a week or so. Add some fresh veggies to it and/or meat and your good to go. I love the Dirty Rice especially.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:43 pm
Amigo wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
Amigo wrote:

If you guys want to know any cheap (secret mexican) recipes let me know.

OOoo!
Secret mexican talk

Yo quero taco cabana nacho libre!!!!
I want a taco in a hut for free nachos.

Confused that was code man

You are not a very good secret mexican
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:44 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
We (both Kris and I) love the Amy's product line. As far as frozen/canned stuff goes, theirs are great. Especially the frozen enchilladas.

ohhh yeah.
Frozen enchiladas with cheese + white corn tortilla chips.
God I love that stuff.

Have you ever tried their canned ravioli?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:45 pm
Chai wrote:

Have you ever gone into that old store, City Market, that over on Ben White and, ummm....I think First St.?.

Never heard of it?

Is that where it is at now? Or has it moved.. ?

I may go check it out wednesday, or even tuesday.. I have that day off
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:48 pm
Zatarans red beans and rice with some really spicey sausage..

Yet another packaged food I do love.
I make some corn bread with honey spread over the top ( before it is baked so that it drips into the bread) and for some reason I love a cold glass of black tea. Mr used to like a tall glass of cold milk with it.

Yum. Just thinking about it is making me hungry
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:52 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Chai wrote:

Have you ever gone into that old store, City Market, that over on Ben White and, ummm....I think First St.?.

Never heard of it?

Is that where it is at now? Or has it moved.. ?

I may go check it out wednesday, or even tuesday.. I have that day off

611 W Ben White Blvd

... stay away from Amy's. It doesn't fall into any kind of budget meal plan. It's prepared food for people with money.

$2.79 u.s. for a can of Amy's butternut squash soup. I can buy all of the ingredients for that for about half of that, and have 3 or 4 times as much soup.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 03:54 pm
I agree. It is too expensive for daily purchase.

But the enchiladas are sort of a 'comfort' food..
Maybe a once a month treat ..
0 Replies