Tuna Helper isnt food

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:20 pm
I have not had any packaged meals like this in a LOOOOONG time

and now I know why.

I am racing back and forth to the toilet like a crack head to a dealer.

ohhh lordy mercy.

WHY oh WHY is that stuff allowed to be called food???!

( pass me the pink stuff..)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,638 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:22 pm
Sorry you are having, uh, problems. I never tried the tuna helper. I always mix tuna in with a box of macaroni and cheese and a can of peas. Hope you feel better soon!

*passing you the pink stuff*
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:26 pm
That is what I usually do.

( It is cheaper to get a frozen slab of tuna, then it is to get tuna in a can!)

Then I cook some wheat noodles, add some peas and sprinkle a little cheese and serve either WITH tuna ( cooked with other spices) or cube up my tuna slab and drop it on top

yummmy.

We only had 20 bucks for food for 2 days so we bought crap stuff.

Figured.. it wouldnt hurt..

have not had tuna helper or other packaged stuff like that in several years.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a mistake
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:38 pm
I would say about 65% of items in a grocery store should not be considered food. I was behind a woman at the checkout counter the other day and she bought almost $200 worth of stuff, of which maybe $25 was real food. I think we need another category for this "edible, but not really food" stuff. The real food is mostly on the outside aisles.

Questionable "food" items that come to mind: Kool Aid, Frosting in a can, soda, anything with word "nugget", all those "Helper" products, anything in a foil packet that you add water to... this list could go on for a while, but I'm sure everyone can draw their own lines. My personal line does allow for Tyson/Perdue chicken, beef finished in Midwest feedlots, factory pigs or farmed salmon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
I think it was Msolga who spoke recently of tuna mornay on the what's-for-dinner-tonight thread. That reminded me that I hadn't had much success in looking up the old fifties' tuna casserole type recipes. Tuna mornay, that's it. I found several recipes when I looked up T. mornay that sounded good to me. No reason they couldn't be made with fresh tuna, though that might take some getting used to if you haven't tried it.

Will add them here if I can find them in my only slightly organized recipe link files.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:46 pm
That sounds good osso!

When hubby and I shop, we do just that... shop on the OUTSIDE of the store isles.
Along the back to gather frozen meat, yogurt, and butter

If we have to go down a regular isle, I notice that everything we buy is crammed into a small area either on the end of the isle, or the very top.

Cascadian farms cereals have a very small area at the end of the cereal isle.

Where as Miur Glen canned tomatoes are at the verrrry top where not many people, especially those of the shorter persuasion , could never think of reaching.

I remember reading a study on grocery store lay outs.

Sugary, high fat, high salt foods are slightly below normal eye level for adults, right smack in the face for kids.

Organics, higher priced items and your sugar free things are typically at the top, and there was something else about the color scheme as well.

I notice how things are grouped together by color almost in some isles.

I wonder where Iput that link..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:50 pm
Okay, I found only one I saved, took one look and immediately trashed it.

I guess I ventured off into tuna mousse and that's what I'm remembering favorably. Or maybe the good tuna mornay recipes are swimming in my to be filed file. Easier to just look it up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:59 pm
From National Lampoon's "Vacation"

Eddie played by Randy Quaid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cousin Eddie: I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than tuna helper myself, don't you, Clark?

Clark: You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:02 pm
I'm pretty much but not absolutely completely a non-packaged food person. I don't like all the 9 or 16 or 23 ingredients that come with that process. I prefer, though, Muir Glen canned tomatoes or some but not all ital canned tomatoes, to wretched so called tomatoes in the produce section. I do like a certain jar of sweet red pepper sauce in the 'Mexican' aisles at Smith's and some packaged roasted tomato pesto from the cooler specialty display. Or as mentioned elsewhere, artichoke hearts canned in water are ok if not like real (looking to check out frozen).

What - I don't think Handy Box Mixes are that much easier than cooking from scratch, and the fraction of convenience comes with a lot of dreck.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:06 pm
Can't do the "helper" of any kind. I'd just make my own.....if thats what they want for supper......

I haven't had Tuna is a long time, I got sick on when I was pregnant with my youngest (9 years ago) and bet I haven't had four or five helpings of it since.

I almost gag over the thought of it...and I lived on Tuna when I was pregnant with the oldest....lol (Tuna, Orange Juice, Apples, and pickles)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:07 pm
well, with the way my butt feels, there wasnt a single THING convenient about that meal. . Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:10 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
I lived on Tuna when I was pregnant with the oldest....lol (Tuna, Orange Juice, Apples, and pickles)

Ohhh barf.
Gosh, I hope not all in one bite??!

Well, I should not talk too much.
I used to love home made ranch dressing on chocolate chip cookies with my first pregnancy. Followed by string beans right from the veggie isle.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:11 pm
I've never had tuna or hamburger helpers, so I don't know,
but shewolf: next time just have plain spaghetti with olive oil and garlic.
It's cheap and tasty.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:13 pm
Quote:
well, with the way my butt feels, there wasnt a single THING convenient about that meal. .

I hate it when food does me that way. Ugghh.....

There is this one frozen complete meal in the freezer section that I do like. It's the crock-pot beef stew (Red Bag I think) all you have to add is water. We tried it a month or so ago, and it really had alot of flavor and was a good meal. About 6 bucks a bag....

I just couldn't do the meat though, I'm turned funny over cheap cuts of meat that come frozen in a bag. You let me get one piece of gristle in my mouth and I'm gagging again. So, I just pick around the meat and eat the veggies.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I've never had tuna or hamburger helpers, so I don't know,
but shewolf: next time just have plain spaghetti with olive oil and garlic.
It's cheap and tasty.

It is realllly tasty to add about a handfull of pine nuts, a handfull of fresh spinach and a clove of garlic with about 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the blender then throw that on regular spaghetti, or any pasta for that matter.

quick easy pesto.
mmm
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:19 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I used to love home made ranch dressing on chocolate chip cookies

Well who doesn't?

Hey, for next time you're having a $20 week...try this.

I was just throwing all kinds of stuff I had in the fridge, and it ended up being really good...

1lb. of fresh black eyed peas, simmered for an hour with sauted onions and sweet baby ray bbq sauce, and water to cover of course.

Separarately, I browned a lb of tofu, then set aside and in the same pan browned up the rest of the big onion, and some mushroons I had hanging around.

I had bought all these boxes of frozen green giant brussel sprouts on sale for .99 a box, and microwaved them.

I had some Satay sauce, you could use hosien or anything else you've got in the fridge to mix up with the tofu.

Then, I glopped it all together in one pot.

Only used 2 pots...I think the whole thing cost about 5 bucks, and it made enough for several meals...for the 3 of you, maybe 2 nights? or more?

It was really good.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:19 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:

There is this one frozen complete meal in the freezer section that I do like. It's the crock-pot beef stew (Red Bag I think) all you have to add is water. We tried it a month or so ago, and it really had alot of flavor and was a good meal. About 6 bucks a bag....

there IS one frozen dinner meal that I do like.

3.80 a bag and I think it is Birds Eye.

( yes shoot me )

but I take that bag and throw in all of our extra veggies especially when they are about to wilt (broccoli, spinach, squash, peppers etc..) and cook it all together in a small sauce pan with about 1/2 cup of water covered so it steams everything I added and Voila.. we have enough food for 2 days and each of us can have a large bowl of food + some bread if we like.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:20 pm
Yeah, that sounds delicious too.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:27 pm
Tuna Helper isnt food ?!?!?! Evil or Very Mad

What kind of commie bull$hit is this!!!!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 08:32 pm
That's the one thing about being a tight budget, is you learn real quick how to be a creative cook.

At one point, I could make cheap polish sausages and mac-n-cheese look gourmet....lol

I have a friend from deep Louisiana, and she can make dried beans and rice look like it come from a 5 star restuarant.
0 Replies