how do you call a person who...

miazhou

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:43 am
how do you call a person who writes dissertation, report, thesis for others for a certain amount of money?
to hire a ...?
(it's a joke in case you wonder Smile
thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 758 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 03:05 am
They are usually called "professional thesis writers". I expect you know and understand that a student who employs such a person is guilty of the serious academic crime of "plagiarism".

For some time now universities have been concerned about the prevalence of plagiarism and contracting out of thesis writing to expert writers. There are a number of options that have increased both in availability and popularity. The common four are:

a) Plagiarism from established texts.
b) Plagiarism from peers.
c) Paying peers to write thesis on your behalf.
d) Paying a professional thesis writer to prepare your thesis.

If a student is found to have committed such an offence, they risk cancellation of any degree awarded, permanent expulsion from the university or college, and criminal prosecution.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 03:41 am
thanks contrex.

i was asking this only because a friend's status on facebook was "wondering how to turn money into dissertation etc." and i just want to joke about it and ask her if she is considering hiring a "...". i'm not a native speaker, and i was expecting some slang which has a cool pronunciation (such as guru).
i'm a little disappointed with the answer "professional thesis writers",
but i think i can still use it.

didn't expect this topic to become so serious, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 06:20 am
There is not really one word that means the same as "professional thesis writer". A person who, for money, writes an article or book for another person who will be named as the author is a "ghostwriter". This is how stupid people such as sports stars manage to produce "biographies". It is sometimes called "ghosting" a book.

Perhaps "thesis ghostwriter" would be suitable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 07:50 am
miazhou wrote:
how do you call a person who writes dissertation, report, thesis for others for a certain amount of money?

Miazhou- Welcome to A2K. Very Happy

You mentioned that you are not a native speaker of English. I want to point out to you that your question should be worded, "WHAT do you call a person.................................." not "how".

Interesting. I have found that this particular mistake in English speech is very common amongst non-native speakers from many different countries. I wonder why?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 09:39 am
Phoenix, that's probably how they say it in their own language and they just literally translate it to English. I've done the same thing when I've studied other languages. To learn another language, you basically have to forget your own because you compare all the time.

[BTW, I agree with your opinion on hope/wishing in that other thread.]
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:43 am
Mame wrote:
Phoenix, that's probably how they say it in their own language and they just literally translate it to English.

So right, Mame! Look

French: Comment s'appelle..

Spanish: Como se llama..

Italian: Come si chiama..

Comment, como, come = how.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:12 pm
"How is he called" exists in obsolete English.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:57 pm
thanks contrex, 'ghostwriter' sounds better.

thanks phoenix32890 for pointing that out. and yes, my native language (mandarin) does use 'how' in such a sentence Smile.

please correct my misusage of words and grammar mistakes as long as you feel like it. i will very much appreciate it !
0 Replies