Online Matchmakers

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:39 am
I know that some of you here either met your mate or found good relationships through these services. In addition, I have a friend whose son is getting married next month to a woman he met that way.

Over the holidays, there was a plethora of commercials on TV for one of the matchmakers....rhymes with Snatch.com

Just for fun, I went online and filled out their free profile. I was convinced I wouldn't get matched with a person anything like my husband, since in many ways we are polar opposites. However, I was just curious what would happen.

In their long questionaire of related questions, I had not expressed any religious inclination, even answer one question that asked how interested I'd be with a religious person with a "1".
Likewise, when provided with a list of entertainment and activities to rate on a scale of 1 to 5, I gave 1's to "listening to live music" "church related events" "sports events"

Now, I didn't pay money to join of course, but they sent off to me a dozen or so emails with possible matches.

These were obviously to entice me join, so figured they be as close as could be to my stated preferences.

Out of that approx dozen, I got

A musician
A sports coach for a christian school
A person who said church related activities were fun
A person who enjoyed listening to music
A person who runs 10K's and such

Where would be my incentive to join if I was single, looking, and they came up with a list like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 29
No top replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:59 am
You marked 1's which is VERY high on the scale, right?

But I think the church-related activities and sports don't gel well as number 1's. (both take up a lot of time and tend to relate to different audiences)

So you got "either / or" on those two.

The sports coach at a religious-based school would be the best of those two 1's.

Liking Music is pretty generic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:02 am
Chai, did you get your numbers messed up?
0 Replies

Reginald Tea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:22 am
I'm not so sure Wally would be thrilled to know that his wife is spending time on online dating services.

How could you, Chai?
0 Replies

Green Tea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:41 am
I think she was after me.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:42 am
The Mr and I thought about doing that as well..

seeing what would happen and if we would be matched.
0 Replies

Green Tea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 09:43 am
And who is going to tell anyway?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 10:02 am
It's because you're the only freak who doesn't like music.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:15 am
no, 1 was low interest, 5 was high interst.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
maybe they are trying to convert your heathen ways
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:26 am
SULLYFISH66 wrote:
You marked 1's which is VERY high on the scale, right?

But I think the church-related activities and sports don't gel well as number 1's. (both take up a lot of time and tend to relate to different audiences)

So you got "either / or" on those two.

The sports coach at a religious-based school would be the best of those two 1's.

Liking Music is pretty generic.

huh?

what do you mean church related activites and sports don't mix well?
some of the most most fanatical sports nuts are the Baptists around here.
yeah, liking music is pretty generic, that's why I put a 1.

To make it clearer to you Sully, since you don't know me...

I have absolutely NO interest in organized religion, couldn't care less about sports, and can only stand listening to music a few minutes at a time.

ok all, maybe in my post I transposed the meaning of 1 and 5...but which ever was the low or high interest score was done correctly at the time.

I gave an interest of 5 (high) to reading, learning and interest in science...and one of the results showed someone who enjoyed reading about science.

basically though, it seemed like a crap shoot.

sigh...I guess wally and I are stuck together for another 14 years.

yeah, so I'm a freak, I don't like music....wanna make something of it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:50 am
You make me sad. I spent the last month composing a beautiful song about you, and was going to record it to put online.

Then I remembered you don't like music.

Because I'm a guy, and guys don't listen.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:51 am
Chai wrote:
sigh...I guess wally and I are stuck together for another 14 years.

Excellent idea, Chai!

(I had no luck with those online things either.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
It's probably because they couldn't find a lot of people that matched you so they widen the search (or at least computer program that does this matching process did) to include less compatible people also, so that they can make you believe that there are tons of matches out there for you. Or maybe this mysterious "matching system" that they have is just some random list based on not much more than your age and location, and therefore, complete bullshit. How many supposedly compatible people did they say there are for you?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 11:56 am
Look Wally!

I made slappy sad

The whole thing wasn't a total loss.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:06 pm
Chai wrote:
Look Wally!

I made slappy sad

The whole thing wasn't a total loss.

Gus and Kicky are showing an interest in you as well.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:11 pm
i tried the 'rhymes with snatch".com and didn't like it. i don't remember exactly why in detail, but i know the quality of matches was a big part of the reason (other was set up of the page and the way communication was set up). I also tried the "rhymes with eCarmoney" and nothing came of that either (though I became keep in touch with one guy via email as he does things in my line of work... we never met and don't need to, just are interested in his work). But I did like the way eCarmoney worked - both communication and the quality of matches- and it did work out for a friend of mine. One has to have a personality for it also - I hate dating and meeting strangers for an almost blind date holds zero appeal to me (in fact I only went to one date total - the guy was nice enough, but still a stranger to me.). I realized online dating will never work for me and gave up on the whole idea.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:11 pm
You need to ask for your money back - if you paid for this. Because it's SO contradictory to what your likes are, I'd say you got your scoring system backwards.

P.S. All men are 1's anyway . . .
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:24 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i tried the 'rhymes with snatch".com and didn't like it. i don't remember exactly why in detail, but i know the quality of matches was a big part of the reason (other was set up of the page and the way communication was set up). I also tried the "rhymes with eCarmoney" and nothing came of that either (though I became keep in touch with one guy via email as he does things in my line of work... we never met and don't need to, just are interested in his work). But I did like the way eCarmoney worked - both communication and the quality of matches- and it did work out for a friend of mine. One has to have a personality for it also - I hate dating and meeting strangers for an almost blind date holds zero appeal to me (in fact I only went to one date total - the guy was nice enough, but still a stranger to me.). I realized online dating will never work for me and gave up on the whole idea.

I have no problem meeting a stranger out, as long as I know what she looks like. Might be doing that a couple times next week...

But I'm the complete opposite of most people when it comes to this stuff. In public, I'll approach girls no problem for the most part. Online, I hate initiating email. I've done it, but not enough. Think in real life I have a better shot of conveying my personality and can attract girls up to my standards better than online.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:27 pm
sully m'boy....I didn't pay anything, like I said, I just filled out the free profile just for fun to see if I'd be matched to anyone who remotely resembled my husband. And no...as I said, I know the ratings were right...jesus, they tell you one every page is all...maybe here I switched them around....pay attention.

I'm a happily married woman, thank you. (feel better wally?)

****-fire dag...I must be on the goof ball today....it wasn't snatch.com I went on, it was cheezehominy.com. when you wrote that I remembered. Same difference.

Kicky....that's exactly what I'm thinking....they just send you potential matches of anyone that lives within 60 miles.

Since I have no interest in really hooking up, I could afford to be brutally honest in what I like...for instance, no smokers, no drinkers (except for a few times a year), no religious nuts, and no one with hairy nuts for that matter.

I guess if you're looking to find someone, you may tend to be more forgiving in what you'll accept. Instead of putting 1 for religious interest, you'll put a 3, middle of the road. Then, when they send you matches of people who say they enjoy church stuff, you'll figure "hey, I did say three, maybe I'll talk to this guy.

I mean, I don't pay attention to sports for instance, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone who wasn't some freaking fanatic. Watching a game here and there is no big deal...we all need our space and individuality.

I can't go on and do another profile...I think it would be interesting if someone else went to cheezehominy and put some really extreme stuff, to see what they get back.

Kicky?
Slappy?

Don't put that you live in NY or Boston, since those places are crawlin' with freaks, and you'd probably really find someone.

Say you live someplace really middle america.
0 Replies